★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The app is free now. What's next?

04-22-2010, 05:32 PM
#1
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 65
The app is free now. What's next?

Hi

After my sales dropped to zero, I did my app free, just for the test. I wrote only one sentence here, in ta forum, but now my app in several countries, including USA in free tops on games\puzzle and games\family and even in all games. It looks great, of course, but now I'm basically don't know what's next.
From one hand, I'd like to sell it for money From another, I don't know what happens right after the app would be paid again. I see no any kind of hype on google, I doubt that Apple will notice that (will they?). I think an app just disappear from the tops and that's all.
So, do you have any advises? What usually works in this situation?
04-22-2010, 05:40 PM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudybear View Post
Hi

After my sales dropped to zero, I did my app free, just for the test. I wrote only one sentence here, in ta forum, but now my app in several countries, including USA in free tops on games\puzzle and games\family and even in all games. It looks great, of course, but now I'm basically don't know what's next.
From one hand, I'd like to sell it for money From another, I don't know what happens right after the app would be paid again. I see no any kind of hype on google, I doubt that Apple will notice that (will they?). I think an app just disappear from the tops and that's all.
So, do you have any advises? What usually works in this situation?
I would like to know that as well. Maybe your app will be picked up and featured in one of those "free app of the day" sites and it will generate enough downloads to put in in the top 100 apps in the appstore. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Strife: Quest for the Sigil - FPS/RPG blend of action!

04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
#3
Joined: May 2009
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
I would like to know that as well. Maybe your app will be picked up and featured in one of those "free app of the day" sites and it will generate enough downloads to put in in the top 100 apps in the appstore. Is that how it's supposed to work?
No, you submit your app to those sites asking to be included

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz
04-22-2010, 05:45 PM
#4
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 330
update with in app purchases.......orrrrrr switch back to paid and see what happens.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
04-22-2010, 05:47 PM
#5
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
update with in app purchases.......orrrrrr switch back to paid and see what happens.
i though about app-in purchases, but the application is kinda hmm finished. I have no idea what I can sell there
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
#6
... well... uhhh ?

I'm at a loss for words.

I'm not sure why people take action and then come here to ask what should be done next. These should have been planned BEFORE taking the action. This is like going skydiving: do you jump out of the plane and then ask the instructor what to do next?

What if he says "you forgot your parachute!"

rudybear, you don't even have your app listed in your sig. Once you go back to paid, you drop immediately from the charts. Don't expect that you will gain substantial sales from this.

Your best option might be to keep an eye on your FREE chart movement and determine if you think it is sustainable. If it is, you might consider staying free and adding an in-game purchase. DO NOT consider adding downloadable content, or I will come to your house and pee in your refrigerator. Do not try to upsell, instead, think of something else to sell.

Impossible Test decided to sell the 'answers' to the test. An ingenious idea.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
... well... uhhh ?

I'm at a loss for words.

I'm not sure why people take action and then come here to ask what should be done next. These should have been planned BEFORE taking the action. This is like going skydiving: do you jump out of the plane and then ask the instructor what to do next?

What if he says "you forgot your parachute!"
Sure, you're right. But, well, there was no sales, absolutely. I saw nothing to lose. Now, at least my ego is fine People write good reviews.

Quote:
rudybear, you don't even have your app listed in your sig. Once you go back to paid, you drop immediately from the charts. Don't expect that you will gain substantial sales from this.
It's a puzzle iTubes (http://toucharcade.com/link/http://i...331051505&mt=8). But actually I heard, what I want to heard: that wouldn't give my sales boost. Thanks!

Quote:
Your best option might be to keep an eye on your FREE chart movement and determine if you think it is sustainable. If it is, you might consider staying free and adding an in-game purchase. DO NOT consider adding downloadable content, or I will come to your house and pee in your refrigerator. Do not try to upsell, instead, think of something else to sell.

Impossible Test decided to sell the 'answers' to the test. An ingenious idea.
Good point, thanks!
04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,006
If you go back to paid, your app ranking will be reset. That doesn't mean that you won't end up getting a sales boost. If you're getting lots of good ratings despite being free, that's a very healthy sign. Just as you had nothing to lose by going free, you have little to lose by going pay again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudybear View Post
Sure, you're right. But, well, there was no sales, absolutely. I saw nothing to lose. Now, at least my ego is fine People write good reviews.



It's a puzzle iTubes (http://toucharcade.com/link/http://i...331051505&mt=8). But actually I heard, what I want to heard: that wouldn't give my sales boost. Thanks!



Good point, thanks!
04-23-2010, 04:05 AM
#9
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Derby, UK.
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
If it is, you might consider staying free and adding an in-game purchase. DO NOT consider adding downloadable content, or I will come to your house and pee in your refrigerator. Do not try to upsell, instead, think of something else to sell.
What do you have against Downloadable Content? Is it not just the same as in-game purchase? You need the internet to be able to log into iTunes to buy the in-game purchase so it can't be an offline/online thing. I see them as just the same thing.

We Are Colin - Indie Games from Derby, UK. Facebook Twitter YouTube
Gravity Runner - Running game with Retro Graphics
Screw The Dealer + iSevens - Card Games -
WordSearch Rush - Featured by Apple - Available now
04-23-2010, 04:13 AM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
If you go back to paid, your app ranking will be reset. That doesn't mean that you won't end up getting a sales boost. If you're getting lots of good ratings despite being free, that's a very healthy sign. Just as you had nothing to lose by going free, you have little to lose by going pay again.
Your ranking resets anyways, regardless of whether you are switching between free and paid (that's the point of rankings!). Higher ranks over time mean a sustained awareness of your app (which the ranking itself helps to promote). However, switching your app to free often raises awareness of your app which can convert directly to sales when you switch back to paid. That's why free app websites work, and that's why app developers switch their app to free for promotional periods all the time.

I think there were a few threads about this earlier if you run a search here on TA. One important factor for developers successfully doing this though is that usually there is a baseline number of sales for the app before they go paid. I haven't heard of anyone going from 0 sales on paid to getting ranked on free and then suddenly get a lot of sales on switching back

Like Stroffolino said though, what's there to lose? Your ego may be good now, but personally I'd rather have some money in my pocket!

Last edited by Rhythm; 04-23-2010 at 04:26 AM.