★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: RPG Fatal Fourway!!!! (help me decide a good RPG)

View Poll Results: Best RPG!!!!
Chronicles of Inotia: Legend of Feanor 4 11.76%
Dungeon and Hero 7 20.59%
Vay 11 32.35%
Aravale 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll
02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
RPG Fatal Fourway!!!! (help me decide a good RPG)

I need some help here, I'm kinda on a shopping spree this week, so you might have ssen me in other threads asking for recommendations. I'm in need of an RPG, and I have lowered it down to four, so vote which of these four is the better RPG. And if it isn't to much trouble, please state your reasons for your votes. Thanks in advance.
02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
What four are we voting for?

edit: Never mind, then.

Games Uncovered: The best iPhone gaming news and reviews.

Last edited by different; 02-16-2009 at 06:47 PM.

02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by different View Post
What four are we voting for?
The poll is up now.
02-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm voting for Vay, people say its fun

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I would say Vay or aravale. Inotia and D/H just aren't very fun.
02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Tossup. Arvale or Vay. I voted for Arvale.
02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I suppose I'll vote for Vay, simply because I've found myself playing it more than the other three options listed.

That said, I don't think it's a very good game. Vay's combat is mind-numbingly simple. I can enjoy a turn-based game if the gameplay offers mental/tactical challenge in lieu of twitch challenge. But Vay does not. And, unfortunately, there is a crazy amount of this mind-numbingly dull combat. Random encounters pop up every few steps.

Additionally, there isn't any decision-making required as you build up your team. The party members are decided for you and there aren't any player-controlled feat selections or stat allocations as you level up. The only thing you control as a player is which equipment you choose to use.

But at least Vay offers a storyline, and it's cute in a retro way.

I didn't much care for Inotia or Dungeon and Hero, as I felt they didn't offer enough story "crumbs" to keep me following along on the trail.

Arvale is almost a parody. It uses a lot of humor and RPG-themed jokes. I might come back to it some day, as I haven't gotten very far. I just had a hard time getting too much into an RPG of this nature without a party to control or a more elaborate weapon system. Again, I prefer for turn-based combat systems to offer more tactical depth and decision-making, since that's all that the player does.

Personally, I'd get "Puzzle Quest" today, then buy Redshift's "The Quest" in a week or so. I've played a lot of those two games on other platforms, and they're both waaaaay better RPGs than the four options you listed in your poll, in my opinion.
02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Hmm, kinda difficult to decide still, I think vay would be a good choice, but I also want a game with depth, and will keep my attention for a long while. Well thanks for all your input so far, and I am looking forward to future input.
02-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Vay, hands down.

Have loved it since the '90s on Sega CD.

It's the only game I planned to buy even before I had an iDevice.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Add Puzzle Quest please or I'm not voting.
It's the most full featured RPG out there!