★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Simple is Better?

02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
#1
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 410
Simple is Better?

Would you say that simple easy apps are better?
Or do you like the really in depth, more complicated games.

I'm just wondering and i'd like to know what people prefer.

I personally like the simple games a lot, (like iCopter, CubeRunner, Pocket God, BobbleSurfer) because they're just so fun to just pick up and play.

But I still do like my more sophisticated games to, like Aurora Feint, iShoot, Reign of Swords
02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
#2
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,206
Depends on what you're into -- and more importantly what you're into at any given moment. Sometimes I like a simple game that's easy to pick up and play for a few minutes, because sometimes I only have a few minutes to fill. Sometimes I like more in-depth games when I've got the time to concentrate on them.

It just depends on the situation I'm in at the time.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
#3
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Depends on what you're into -- and more importantly what you're into at any given moment. Sometimes I like a simple game that's easy to pick up and play for a few minutes, because sometimes I only have a few minutes to fill. Sometimes I like more in-depth games when I've got the time to concentrate on them.

It just depends on the situation I'm in at the time.
Well, how bout for when your "shopping" for apps. what is more appealing to you at the time.
02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,326
Question: Does edge qualify as simple?

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
02-16-2009, 07:37 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 279
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
I prefer more in depth games. There are already WAY too many casual games on the iPhone. We need more games like Hero of Sparta and Brothers in arms, but also games like Rolando which are simple but are more in depth.

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
Question: Does edge qualify as simple?
im glad u like edge

my favorite games are a mix

but its easier to get addicted to simple games
02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
#7
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelongintheforums View Post
im glad u like edge

my favorite games are a mix

but its easier to get addicted to simple games
very true, im thinking about buying edge, it seeems like a game that would float my boat.
02-16-2009, 07:45 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio View Post
very true, im thinking about buying edge, it seeems like a game that would float my boat.
ye, let me give u some advice. just buy it. great game. i have a review up on my site.


Ummmm

i like icopter, bubblehead. they r fun simple and addicting
02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio View Post
Well, how bout for when your "shopping" for apps. what is more appealing to you at the time.
Quality, mainly. Without a lite version or a developer sending me a promo code, I'm pretty much left to gauge by screenshots, user reviews (which are totally hit or miss because, let's face it, there are a lot of morons leaving reviews) and possibly reviews on other websites. Generally, when I'm browsing apps, I'll check things out in this order:

- Screenshot(s). Does it look interesting enough to look any deeper?
- Description. If the screenshot isn't terrible, I'll read what it's about. If the description is informative and the concept sounds like something I could dig, then I'll check even further.
- Reviews. Both on the App Store and other sites. Good? Bad?

If it fails on all counts (or fails spectacularly on any single one of them) then it's a pass from me. If it's kind of iffy I might try it anyway just to formulate my own opinion. I do tend to err on the side of caution though, so of something's right on the borderline I'm more likely to pass on it.

There are certain things I will tend to pass on as a matter of course: Dumb apps about bodily functions, sound boards (except iPity -- because it's Mister T, man!), social networking apps (just too damn many across too damn many niche groups, and I'm only interested in ones I'm already a member of), flashlights, 8-balls, pictures of wood, jiggling boobies, match 3 games (the shark, it is 50 nautical miles behind you sir), and other such things will generally fail to catch my interest right off the bat.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
#10
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Quality, mainly. Without a lite version or a developer sending me a promo code, I'm pretty much left to gauge by screenshots, user reviews (which are totally hit or miss because, let's face it, there are a lot of morons leaving reviews) and possibly reviews on other websites. Generally, when I'm browsing apps, I'll check things out in this order:

- Screenshot(s). Does it look interesting enough to look any deeper?
- Description. If the screenshot isn't terrible, I'll read what it's about. If the description is informative and the concept sounds like something I could dig, then I'll check even further.
- Reviews. Both on the App Store and other sites. Good? Bad?

If it fails on all counts (or fails spectacularly on any single one of them) then it's a pass from me. If it's kind of iffy I might try it anyway just to formulate my own opinion. I do tend to err on the side of caution though, so of something's right on the borderline I'm more likely to pass on it.

There are certain things I will tend to pass on as a matter of course: Dumb apps about bodily functions, sound boards (except iPity -- because it's Mister T, man!), social networking apps (just too damn many across too damn many niche groups, and I'm only interested in ones I'm already a member of), flashlights, 8-balls, pictures of wood, jiggling boobies, match 3 games (the shark, it is 50 nautical miles behind you sir), and other such things will generally fail to catch my interest right off the bat.
That is very true, sometimes its just those unique apps that stick out and convince me to buy them.