★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Debate:Most Influential iPhone Games(So Far)

04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Send a message via Skype™ to iVaro
Debate:Most Influential iPhone Games(So Far)

We are nearing the 3rd year of the App Store and the category that has been hyped about the most, praised for it's variety and shunned for it's depth(or lack thereof) has been the Games Section.

I have started this thread now to ask: TO YOU what are the most(any amount) influential games you have come across on the iDevices? These games could

a) Have shown what the platform has been able to do in terms of performance.

b) Have shown what the devices have been able to do in terms of innovation

As mentioned in the title this thread is up for debate(please keep it clean )

I have beta tested 57 games,
Now a reviewer at App Score!,
I do tweet GameCenter: iVaro/OF ID:1Varo
04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
iDracula - It started the IMMENSELY popular dual-stick shooter genre

Modern Combat: Sandstorm - Proved that the iPhone could handle first-person shooters with great controls.

Flight Control - Single-handedly started the line-drawing genre

Zombieville USA - Helped to make zombie games on the platform popular

Eliminate - Really boosted the use of DLC, as well as the first online FPS, started the freemium trend

Brothers in Arms: Hour of Heroes - The first 3D shooter on the platform, before people even thought that the iDevice could handle gaming at all.

Assassin's Creed - The first well-known port of a game from another gaming device.

Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies - Proved how many games could be ported to the iDevice. Plus, it shot right to the top of the charts.

Those are a few that I think made some huge differences in the App Store

04-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
iDracula - It started the IMMENSELY popular dual-stick shooter genre

Modern Combat: Sandstorm - Proved that the iPhone could handle first-person shooters with great controls.

Flight Control - Single-handedly started the line-drawing genre

Zombieville USA - Helped to make zombie games on the platform popular

Eliminate - Really boosted the use of DLC, as well as the first online FPS, started the freemium trend

Brothers in Arms: Hour of Heroes - The first 3D shooter on the platform, before people even thought that the iDevice could handle gaming at all.

Assassin's Creed - The first well-known port of a game from another gaming device.

Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies - Proved how many games could be ported to the iDevice. Plus, it shot right to the top of the charts.

Those are a few that I think made some huge differences in the App Store
A good summary, but you left out GTA, which proved that extensive and detailed games can be provided with no cutbacks on the App Store, and Chaos Rings, which proved the beautiful graphics and in depth RPGs are possible on this platform.

Also, whether people like it or not, Pocket God was revolutionary, proving to devs that if u update your game a lot, it will be successful, causing there to be an increase in upgrades

And I feel Doodle Jump is revolutionary but I don't know why....
04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Tap Tap Revenge
popularized idevice gaming.

Twitter: @Nokendoman, XboxLive: DannIzzLegit.
Now Playing:Corporate Fury, Super Mega Worm, EpicWin, Surviving Highschool, Mirrors Edge, Zenonia2, TapTapRevenge 3.
@reply me on twitter
04-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokendo View Post
Tap Tap Revenge
true. Except now its an extremely stupid game...
04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokendo View Post
Tap Tap Revenge
Who is the fanboy?

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
04-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruho View Post
A good summary, but you left out GTA, which proved that extensive and detailed games can be provided with no cutbacks on the App Store, and Chaos Rings, which proved the beautiful graphics and in depth RPGs are possible on this platform.

Also, whether people like it or not, Pocket God was revolutionary, proving to devs that if u update your game a lot, it will be successful, causing there to be an increase in upgrades

Yeah, I forgot about GTA... HOW COULD I!!!! Yeah, that could be one of the highest-profile games yet.

I have a feeling that Chaos Rings will be revolutionary, proving that going above the $9.99 limit, and it's doing really well. If it keeps up, I'll put it on my list.
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
real racing, showed great graphics and a real racing game could work on the platform

And of course GTA:CW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Easily the best game on the platform, it showed good psp/ds games could work
04-23-2010, 08:06 PM
What was the first shmup to have relative touch control? Because that's a pretty great control mechanism, which is in a ton of games to this day.
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
What about PapiJump - the first accelerometer based jumping game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruho View Post
The longest game to stay in the top 5?