★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Game Reviews - Help the devs!

02-17-2009, 04:28 AM
Game Reviews - Help the devs!

What I will now do, and encourage others to, is type a good review in iTunes, and copy and paste it into Toucharcade. (or vice versa) This way hopefully we can help the devs who make the wicked titles and combat people who didn't like a game or competitors who leave 1 star reviews.

I'm not a dev, but I've seen the AppStore marketplace change. I used to review everything on the AppStore and write stuff here too, but there sheer volume of awesome titles means I've been hanging out here more and downloading them, and failing to leave a review in the AppStore. I've been quite shamed to see that weeks after a favourite game's release, there is still no review in the Australian AppStore and I've been enjoying it non-stop. This has happened too often with too many titles.

Toucharcade is the best thing in existence, really; but the average joe browsing AppStore on his iPhone probably doesn't know about it, and only by leaving reviews can we pass on info of how we feel about a particular game.

iPad 3G: The first personal computer.
02-17-2009, 04:35 AM
I agree. Though I think fair reviews - good or bad - are important both here and in iTunes. It's good it gets in iTunes for those who might not frequent a forum, but the forum is nice because it's interactive.

02-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Yeah, most people read reviews of games on iTunes and via AppStore App, and use this feedback to help in their purchase decision, yet most of these same people never take the time to actually write them too.

It's a real shame actually, but I guess no one, including Apple, could have predicted the sheer volume of games and apps that have been released so quickly.

Seon R :: Lead Code Monkey
3 Sprockets - Website
Twitter: @3Sprockets
02-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Yes, I didn't mean to advise people leave a fake but full of praise review, that wouldn't really help... just leave accurate reviews in both places.

iPad 3G: The first personal computer.
02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I totally agree on leaving a review and should be part of the gaming process. Buy-download-play-write a review.
At this time my review history shows 200 reviews (good/bad) on iTunes and I try to do this religiously as part of my gaming experience and especially if its a great game I believe I owe the dev a review. Doesn't take much to write a few sentences either and if its a deserving 5 star rating this will help the dev a lot and its really the only way to pay back the dev than just purchasing the game. On the other hand if its not a 5 star then possibly the dev will be helped in this as well.... as we all know.

Off note (and what might keep people from writing iTunes reviews). What upsets me is whenever I read other 5 star reviews proclaiming an epic game (normally the first reviews) and after checking their review history profile find it consists of this (or their other company games) one and only game, obviously from devs helpers or him/herself. I then find later my honest opinion being lambasted by "not helpful" taps and then my review being called fake in some cases. Just an outright attack......that annoys the crap out of me. These are mostly crap games (usually don't work right) that they are trying to build up and reflective on how far some of these devs will go in getting a sale. I also think iTunes needs to regulate more strictly some reviews. Some need more substance than just saying "great game" or "download it" or "junk", etc. I know this would short change a lot of devs on some deserving 5 stars but some alternative needs to be placed like a pre-written form could be
offered that could be filled out on specifics of the game, etc when reviewing.
Sorry rant over on that subject.
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Leaving reviews here would be a good idea cause there are a quite a few devs here