★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: ExZeus or Hero of Sparta?

02-17-2009, 06:05 AM
#1
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
ExZeus or Hero of Sparta?

My concern re HoS is its graphics style. I love God of War a lot, but this looks like a poor rip-off. The creatures, the lighting, the low-res textures, etc just don't look as good.

My concern re ExZeus is its replayability. Once you finish the main campaign, do you come back to play it? or is that it?
(but then again HoS doesn't have that much replayability either).

sorry to make this kind of thread. I'm gonna have an 8-hour-long flight on thursday and I just can't decide between the two.
02-17-2009, 06:13 AM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
My concern re HoS is its graphics style. I love God of War a lot, but this looks like a poor rip-off. The creatures, the lighting, the low-res textures, etc just don't look as good.

My concern re ExZeus is its replayability. Once you finish the main campaign, do you come back to play it? or is that it?
(but then again HoS doesn't have that much replayability either).

sorry to make this kind of thread. I'm gonna have an 8-hour-long flight on thursday and I just can't decide between the two.
In my opinion, Hero of Sparta for your 8 hour long haul definitely.
Graphics are good, not as good as god of war, but you won't want to put the game down until you complete it. There's progression, you'll want to complete all of the levels one by one because each level is such an exciting ride you'll want to go to the next one.

ExZeus is a pure arcade experience, so you'll only pick it up every now and again when you fancy beating your high score. There's only 5 levels, its pretty difficult, and theres no progression, you just play, and die. It's great fun though.

02-17-2009, 06:14 AM
#3
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Super Earth - Our Home.
Posts: 5,565
HOS does have good graphics.

With Exzeus it's hard to finish the game/campaign (there is only the campaign), but if you do manage to finish it (i haven't managed that yet) i guess you still will be playing the game alot.

I'd say that both games are very good.
02-17-2009, 06:16 AM
#4
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Super Earth - Our Home.
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
In my opinion, Hero of Sparta for your 8 hour long haul definitely.
Graphics are good, not as good as god of war, but you won't want to put the game down until you complete it. There's progression, you'll want to complete all of the levels one by one because each level is such an exciting ride you'll want to go to the next one.

ExZeus is a pure arcade experience, so you'll only pick it up every now and again when you fancy beating your high score. There's only 5 levels, its pretty difficult, and theres no progression, you just play, and die. It's great fun though.
damn, i was too late.

That's about all i wanted to say .
02-17-2009, 06:18 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,240
I would say (even though I only have Hero of Sparta, and beat it in about 6 hours) buy other cheaper non-tilt related games (tilt would be bad because of the plane) like slotz and ishoot or blackbeard's assault, which will occupy you for a while.
I recently got slotz and I have been playing it as much as I can, along with Wooden Labyrinth 3d (but that's tilt related and might make you nauseous on the plane)(but still a good app)

So, overall, I think you should not buy either of those two apps, and instead buy other fun, cheaper apps with more replay value.

EDIT: Just saw what the others wrote, if you really want one of them, choose Hero of Sparta, then after you beat it, play other games that you have. But then, you would be done with HoS by the time you got off, and that would be it.

Last edited by Fleabag323; 02-17-2009 at 06:20 AM.
02-17-2009, 06:20 AM
#6
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
Thanks for your quick replies, guys

I thought in the new ExZeus update there's a setting for difficulty level? Is it still that hard in Easy mode? I hate difficult games so if it's too hard then I'll stay away.

And is HoS' framerate as smooth as SnailMail or Fastlane? I have Ferrari GT and the framerate is just alright. From what I've seen, ExZeus shows off what the iPhone is capable of more than HoS is that true? (it would be a bonus point if I can show it off to my friends over the weekend )
02-17-2009, 06:20 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabag323 View Post
I would say (even though I only have Hero of Sparta, and beat it in about 6 hours) buy other cheaper non-tilt related gmae (because of the plane) like slotz and ishoot or blackbeard's assault, which will occupy you for a while.
I recently got slotz and I have been playing it as much as I can, along with Wooden Labyrinth 3d (but that's tilt related and might make you nauseous on the plane)(but still a good app)

So, overall, I think you should not buy either of those two apps, and instead buy other fun, cheaper apps with more replay value.
Definitely, in general. BUT, you wouldn't want to play on Labyrinth for 8 hours straight on a flight. With more immersive games like HoS, you would. Well I would.

In fact if I had to choose any game for a flight, it would be an RPG, Puzzle Quest probably.
02-17-2009, 06:21 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
Thanks for your quick replies, guys

I thought in the new ExZeus update there's a setting for difficulty level? Is it still that hard in Easy mode? I hate difficult games so if it's too hard then I'll stay away.

And is HoS' framerate as smooth as SnailMail or Fastlane? I have Ferrari GT and the framerate is just alright. From what I've seen, ExZeus shows off what the iPhone is capable of more than HoS is that true? (it would be a bonus point if I can show it off to my friends over the weekend )
ExZeus does have better graphics and framerate than HoS.
HoS framerate is for the most part quite good, there are a couple of glitches here and there.

ExZeus's update fixed the difficulty so you can play in beginner mode, but it's still difficult. By that I mean it feels more like luck than skill when you're playing it.
02-17-2009, 06:22 AM
#9
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Super Earth - Our Home.
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
Thanks for your quick replies, guys

I thought in the new ExZeus update there's a setting for difficulty level? Is it still that hard in Easy mode? I hate difficult games so if it's too hard then I'll stay away.

And is HoS' framerate as smooth as SnailMail or Fastlane? I have Ferrari GT and the framerate is just alright. From what I've seen, ExZeus shows off what the iPhone is capable of more than HoS – is that true? (it would be a bonus point if I can show it off to my friends over the weekend )
The new ExZeus update does make the game easyer (i managed to the middle of level 5 )

The framerate of HoS sometimes goes a bit down, but the game will still be very playable .

The graphics in ExZeus are great (+ high framerate on my 1G touch )!
02-17-2009, 06:34 AM
#10
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
In ExZeus and HoS, can you pickup certain level once you finish it? say, I die on level 5. Can I start playing again on level 3 or 4? Or do I always have to start from the beginning?

Also, in ExZeus, can you replay on normal/hard level with updated armors & weapons like in HoS?

It sounds like most of you are recommending HoS, yet ExZeus' superb graphics is so tempting. It looks like the best graphics on the device so far.

@Fleabag323:
Thanks for your advice, but for now it's just between the two. I've prepared some other little games which I love too in case ExZeus / HoS disappoints me.