★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Lock 'n' Roll vs. Lock 'n' Roll Pro - NOT A NICE ROLL AT ALL!

02-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Lock 'n' Roll vs. Lock 'n' Roll Pro - NOT A NICE ROLL AT ALL!

i found that there is an updated version of lock 'n' roll. and in the same time canned bananas (developer) put lock 'n' roll pro into the app store. in the app description of pro it's written:

The Only difference is Lock 'n' Roll Pro does not display ads. In the future, All updates will occur in the Pro version only, Pro will be enhanced with additional features not available in the free edition.

so here comes my questions.
1) i didn't update my lock 'n' roll to this version, cause i'm affraid that in the update there are ads. true/false?
2) why did dev just screw people who really enjoyed the game, and grab it while pro wasn't out? we should get pro version for free, and all the new gamers should get only a buy option. now i feel a bit duped.

Last edited by pante; 02-17-2009 at 06:43 AM.
02-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pante View Post
i found that there is an updated version of lock 'n' roll. and in the same time canned bananas (developer) put lock 'n' roll pro into the app store. in the app description of pro it's written:

The Only difference is Lock 'n' Roll Pro does not display ads. In the future, All updates will occur in the Pro version only, Pro will be enhanced with additional features not available in the free edition.

1) i didn't update my lock 'n' roll to this version, cause i'm affraid that in the update there are ads. true/false?
2) why did dev just screw people who really enjoy the game, and grab it while pro wasn't out? we should get pro for free, and all the gamers should get only a buy option. now i feel duped.
Well I assume the original lock n roll was free. So why should you get pro for free?
You didn't pay for anything, therefore theres nothing to be screwed over.

Companies do have to find ways to monetize their apps you know. It's all business.

02-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Quote:

2) why did dev just screw people who really enjoy the game, and grab it while pro wasn't out? we should get pro for free, and all the gamers should get only a buy option. now i feel duped.
1) Yes there are ads after the update, but for me it's not really an issue. I don't like ads, but in this one they do not really seem to bother me.
2) I don't understand your point there. You say you should get a version of a game for free because you got the previous version for free?

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog
02-17-2009, 07:05 AM
mmm, it was a very nice game for free, but seems too expensive now. At least as it is, maybe the new features will be super-ultra-cool.

When I first read about the pro version, I thought about the "free with ads - 99c without" formula. This is not what they are doing, both for the price and for the lack of updates for the old version, so now it is a sort of lite version... but with ads. Not very nice.
02-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
1) Yes there are ads after the update, but for me it's not really an issue. I don't like ads, but in this one they do not really seem to bother me.
2) I don't understand your point there. You say you should get a version of a game for free because you got the previous version for free?
+1

$2.99 is not expensive for a such polished game. Anyway, we can always count with a sale sooner or later!

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
02-17-2009, 07:11 AM
It has an ad banner across the top of the screen.

Changing Free to Ad-supported and knowing there is no way we can opt out of this means that (1) I delete your game never to be played again and (2) I will never use or buy anything from this dev again.
02-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the lion View Post
mmm, it was a very nice game for free, but seems too expensive now. At least as it is, maybe the new features will be super-ultra-cool.

When I first read about the pro version, I thought about the "free with ads - 99c without" formula. This is not what they are doing, both for the price and for the lack of updates for the old version, so now it is a sort of lite version... but with ads. Not very nice.
that's exactly what i mean. look at the blacklist:

App: Kinwits
Developer:Troutfly software
Description: - Went free for a little while, then the dev "updated" the app and made the full version into a 10 level demo

App: Rescue Angels
Developer: xCube Labs.
Description: Rescue Angels 60 originally came out with no warning that it was a demo....the 60 levels were fun, and worth 99 cents, but it essentially became a Demo advertising their 500 level app, with the same initial 60 levels, which makes me not want to purchase the full app

for me it's the same.

Last edited by pante; 02-17-2009 at 07:17 AM.
02-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Quote:
App: Kinwits
Developer:Troutfly software
Description: - Went free for a little while, then the dev "updated" the app and made the full version into a 10 level demo
The difference here is that it "WENT FREE", which means that it wasn't free to begin with. In this case, people PAYED for the game at first, and then it turned into a free-forever lite version.
Quote:
App: Rescue Angels
Developer: xCube Labs.
Description: Rescue Angels 60 originally came out with no warning that it was a demo....the 60 levels were fun, and worth 99 cents, but it essentially became a Demo advertising their 500 level app, with the same initial 60 levels, which makes me not want to purchase the full app
Again, in this case the consumer INVESTED $0.99 in the game and when he gets the bigger version, he won't get a discount for the 60 levels he already has.

In the case of Lock 'n' Roll, you don't lose any money, no matter how you look at it. You have a great free game the way it was/is, and you decide for yourself if you upgrade to the ad-supported version. Even with the ad-supported version you have a good game for free. There were never guarantees that they were going to update the game as far as I know of. So they have every right to create a new, commercial, version with those new updates.

Stefan
02-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Are most of you teenagers? It sounds like you are still very young. I imagine your parents still pay everything for you. Otherwise, you would know that everything costs and that you have to work to get what you want. When you get something for free, you should be grateful. When you don't, it is called being an adult. The dev also eats. He doesn't have any obligation to work for free.
02-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by organerito View Post
Are most of you teenagers? ... He doesn't have any obligation to work for free.
I'm 44 and have spent a ton of money on apps.
He does not have to work for free and should not expect to do so. But if a game I downloaded is changed significantly (and I count ads as that) then I think I do have the right to be annoyed. Countless games I have accidentally touched an ad when playing so from now it's no ads.

We have devs that change the prices - fair enough. You win some, you lose some but what you see stays the same. But changing the code in a way that means I have to be even more careful how I interact with the screen is entirely another.