★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: MaxNick
  • Genre: Sports
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 11.2 MB
  • Version: 1.03
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 2 (1)
App description: iCurling is the best embodiment of a curling game on iPhone&iPod! The game grabs you from the first rolls! You are happy to spend time and are able to enjoy this game having a great history!
Curling is thought to have been invented in late medieval Scotland.
The word curling first appears in print in 1620. The verbal noun curling is formed from the Scots (and English) verb curl which describes the motion of the stone
Outdoor curling was very popular in Scotland between the 16th and 19th centuries, as the climates provided good ice conditions every winter. Today, the game is most firmly established in Canada, when have been taken there by Scottish emigrants. Debut of curling in the United States occurred in 1768, the game brought the Scottish soldiers. Today, curling is played all over Europe and has spread in Japan, Australia, New Zealand, China, and Korea.
Rules of Curling has been approved in the first half of the 19th century and since then have not changed yet.
The first world curling championship in the sport was limited to men and was known as the "Scotch Cup". It took place in Falkirk and Edinburgh,Scotland, in 1959.
Curling has been an official sport in the Winter Olympic Games since the 1998 Winter Olympics.
iCurling game was created in 2010.
The purpose of the game is to throw as many stones (rocks) as close as possible to the center of the house (the target). At the same time trying to keep the competitor from doing the same.
How to play iCurling?
Go ahead and use your finger to pull forward the stone at the start position, then let go to throw towards the house, a circular target. A straight arrow indicate the direction and stroke power of your throw.
Before you throw, you can specify the direction of rotation of the stone to the left or right by selecting the corresponding curve arrow to the right or left of the stone.
The path of the rock may be further influenced by rubbing of the sheet, using the finger to alter the state of the "ice" in front of the stone.
04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Just in case someone here might be interested in curling and thinks this looks good enough to try: don't. This game is very unrealistic and absolutely fails in simulating the feel and strategy of the real thing. In addition it also has particularly annoying sound effects and a vibrate function which won't quit even if you set it to "off."

If you have even the slightest interest in the sport, "Age of Curling" is by far the best representation on the iPhone and an awesome game in its own right. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing a thread for it here on TA. Has there been one?

04-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the bug detected. We have already fixed it. The new version of the game is already in review in the AppStore.
As for what game is better I will not compare them. I just want to say that this is our vision of a classic sports games like Curling. We believe that the 2D engine more accurately reflects the dynamism of the game. And it's such features as the ability to play with a friend over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, and the lowest price in the AppStore should be noted by users. And for those who are interested by our iCurling app, but still skeptical to buy it, I post here the promo codes.

4JJ9MX37JHXX
LJEXP664HFT4
JEK3YYHH4RR4
3LJ943J4XWAN
YW6XAMJA4HYL

I want you to enjoy the game!
http://maxnick.com/
04-27-2010, 04:07 AM
LJEXP664HFT4 Thanks

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
04-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Taken.JEK3YYHH4RR4
hope to say feedback
04-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the code!

I'll pm you when my post goes live on iTunes

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
04-28-2010, 03:12 AM
On my phone (3GS not jailbroken), iCurling isn't starting, does someone else have this problem, too?

The App starts but the menu isn't loaded completely - I can only click on 'Statistics' but no - 'New Game'/'Start' or something like thhat.

Contacted the support yesterday - but no response up to now
04-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry.
You probably in the settings of your iPhone chose international language other than English.
This bug is already fixed and new version of the application is already in review in the AppStore.
04-29-2010, 09:42 AM
I have Age of Curling and cool curlings, wondering how this one compares with those?
04-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Just in case someone here might be interested in curling and thinks this looks good enough to try: don't. This game is very unrealistic and absolutely fails in simulating the feel and strategy of the real thing. In addition it also has particularly annoying sound effects and a vibrate function which won't quit even if you set it to "off."

If you have even the slightest interest in the sport, "Age of Curling" is by far the best representation on the iPhone and an awesome game in its own right. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing a thread for it here on TA. Has there been one?
Thanks for the review. Yes, I actually do understand the sport and have been looking for a realistic simulation with decent AI for.. a long long time. I have yet to play a game where the strategy/AI routines aren't simply "get the rock closest to the button" without any concept of setting up for a high scoring end/etc. That's fine in its own right, but it's not really what I'm looking for.

Is Age Of Curling decent in that respect? ie, will the AI actually try to set up corner guards/freezes where appropriate? Will they play defensively without the hammer? I've had my eye on it for some time now, but the $3.99 price tag has been a turn off (especially as I have yet to play a video game that comes close to simulating the sport).

However, this game looks like a decent fun little game for $0.99. Debating picking it up regardless.