★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Anyone else been spending less money lately?

02-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Anyone else been spending less money lately?

I really only spend a fraction now of what I did in the first few months of the app store. It seems there are fewer and fewer games I am interested in, and the ones that do come out tend to be in the $1-3 range.

This is a good thing to a degree since money is tight and all, but at the same time, I've been using my phone as a reader (god bless Stanza and that drinkmalk site) about 50% of the time, internet browser/actual phone 25% of the time, and game console 25% whereas I was using this as a game console like 75% of the time between July-December (obvious approximation).

And yet I probably use this now more than ever due to my using it as an ereader every NIGHT now I'm reading for at least an hour, in addition to reading both to and from work on the train (another hour). I really only use the iphone for games when I'm on the can or watching tv.

So I'm not complaining at all (I must have $2 thousand in books alone on it, all for free), just wondering if anyone else has changed like me.
02-17-2009, 09:19 AM
oh yeah

my spending is way down

mostly because i just lost trust in the app store after getting burned by false promises by developers, buggy applications, and over hyped games that i bought @ 10 bucks, and only played once

then there was the period where devs would release an app, and drop its price the next day, soo..you just wait. and you could get a $5 for .99Cents

right now im content with what i have, if i do buy, it is a .99 or 1.99 (less risk) (greatly reviewed) one on sale

i just picked up blue attack, its not on sale, but for the amount of content/value for its price...

and the TD defense games like 7 cities and creeps keeps me pretty entertained

and there is no real reason to buy any game right when it gets released...i feel payback was overhyped..i've only played it three or four times....

but yeah my spending is way down, and im happy

02-17-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm definately buying fewer apps. There was a period where I was driving myself crazy looking for the latest game that I could kill my ipod battery with. It's pretty frustrating when I open Appsniper and see "172 new apps" and then browse through them and see that they are all pretty much crap. I still come to TA every day and check a few other sites out, and based on the forum and site recomendations pick up a game here and there (Labyrnth 3d and Word Jong the last two) but it's not the compulsion it once was.

I also have found that I spend a lower % of time playing games. And as a bonus my battery is lasting a lot longer (not even needing a charge some days!). I'd wager with the ebooks your not finding that though, I've read a few books and it drained the ipod pretty good.
02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
My spending is pretty consistent, but it's fallen off as of late because i still have a bunch of games on my phone that i haven't even delved into yet, and i have to remind myself of that when i have the urge to buy anything new.
02-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Same here, but tahts b/c I already have 9 pages with good games

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
02-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Send a message via MSN to D.Sync Send a message via Yahoo to D.Sync
I think that's true for me. But I'm about the break it after Zen Bound and Snap are released. Been saving $$ on that. Just bought a $5.99 Snatch from AppStore after about a week. Usually I can overspent $10 in a week LOL!

Updates from Casual Gamer

Plus+ ID: dsync89 (active in all We Rule, We Farm and We City)
OpenFeint ID: dsync89
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I am also spending less money. I decided to throw a lot of information about many things into the notebook app. I am reading all of that whenever I have free time.
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM
I have only had my ipod 2Gen for 2 months now, and I am spending less as well. For example, I still haven't bought Zombieville USA, Heavy Mach, or Payback yet. Mostly because the negative or buggy things I hear make me want to wait for something like CJS (that is assuming a lot)! However, I do find a jewel worth the price tag every once in a while. I just recently bought Smiles (the full version), and I love it! Only puzzle game I have worth the full price!

I hope to spend more soon, but I already have a lot of great games. IMHO developers need to step it up a notch now...my expectations are high!
02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freegoo View Post
I'm definately buying fewer apps. There was a period where I was driving myself crazy looking for the latest game that I could kill my ipod battery with. It's pretty frustrating when I open Appsniper and see "172 new apps" and then browse through them and see that they are all pretty much crap. I still come to TA every day and check a few other sites out, and based on the forum and site recomendations pick up a game here and there (Labyrnth 3d and Word Jong the last two) but it's not the compulsion it once was.

I also have found that I spend a lower % of time playing games. And as a bonus my battery is lasting a lot longer (not even needing a charge some days!). I'd wager with the ebooks your not finding that though, I've read a few books and it drained the ipod pretty good.
Exactly my experience as well. Buying less, playing less. I've also deleted a lot of games that I used to consider "keepers" - down from 6 or 7 pages of games to 1 and a half. I think I'm finally able to show some restraint from purchasing those time-killer games that simply provide novelty or minimal entertainment. Incidentally I find myself buying/playing almost exclusively puzzlers now.
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Me. Only spent money on two games this month. Bobby carrot and ExZeus

Currently Playing: N.O.V.A, Skater Nation, 33rd Division, 7 Cities, Karnival.
Looking Forward to: GTA: Chinatown Wars, Ravensword (update), 1112 ep 02 and yeah the hangover on 1st