★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Year of the Dragon: Black Ice HD is the iPad specific version of Black Ice, also available for iPhone and iPod Touch.

Featuring retro graphics, a cyberpunk theme, and original 8-bit sounds, Black Ice will not only make your brain hurt, it also brings a whole new style and sensibility to iPhone/iPod/iPad gaming!

Glowdot presents the first of a series of cyberpunk minigames EXCLUSIVELY available on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, introducing the "Year of the Dragon" game universe.

You have been hired by the megacorp GLOWDOT CORPORATION to defend against a barrage of cyber-attacks. Various anarchist organizations have launched a full scale assault on GLOWDOT's systems, and we need YOU, armed with your mobile device running our top secret ICE BREAKING software to eliminate these threats before they compromise our system.

Your task is deceptively simple. Drag a box around groups of blocks. If the corner block colors match, the group will be removed, including any infected blocks contained within. Remove all of the infected blocks from the system, and you'll progress to the next threat level.

Sounds easy? Try it. You've got a time limit, and as you progress, the systems get larger (more blocks) and more complex (more colors). Locating removable groups before time runs out is no easy task.

And that's why we've chosen you. Good luck.

glowdot's comments:

(there is also a iPhone/iPod version, but this was designed for the iPad so get the HD version if you've got an iPad)

Year of the Dragon: Black Ice HD is a retro style action puzzle game for the iPad built on Cocos2D. Retro graphics, original 8-bit sound effects, and a simple but addictive (and hard as hell) gameplay.

Drag a box around groups of blocks with matching corner colors to eliminate all the "infected" (with skulls on them) blocks to proceed. Each level, you'll see more blocks, more colors, and less time to finish.

It plays a little like a sort of timed solitaire. You CAN screw yourself up by removing blocks without thinking, so you'll have to develop a little bit of strategy to get far in the game.

Promo codes:

No need for codes. Game is FREE until the 1000th download
04-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Got 6EXEEK9KWA6P - always like to try new puzzle games. Thanks

04-27-2010, 03:04 PM

04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks, will check it out this evening and rate it on iTunes and give some feedback here.
04-27-2010, 03:42 PM

I will definitely leave a review on itunes and some feedback here. Thanks!
04-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Boy, surprised there were any left - but I managed to snag ETNTEEJFLYN6

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
If people end up enjoying the game I will drop a few more promo codes in here tomorrow or the next day.
04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by glowdot View Post
If people end up enjoying the game I will drop a few more promo codes in here tomorrow or the next day.
Thank you! I'll try to grab one.
04-29-2010, 11:21 AM
No need for more promo codes just yet, the game is now FREE.
05-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Just submitted the first update. New icon (got a lot of complaints that it was lame, sorry) and improved touch handling. Now you can start your box drawing outside of the grid.

Still free until the 1000th download. I think that means maybe 100 more to go?