★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Cryptose is open source software released under the GNU General Public License. Source code is available here: https://github.com/insurgentgames/Cryptose

Cryptose is an addictive cryptogram puzzle game where you use logic and reasoning to decode secret messages. Choose between three occupations to play as a hacker, a detective, or a spy.

Each game you get a random short encrypted phrase and it's your job to decrypt it. The phrase is encrypted with a simple substitution cipher, meaning that each letter in the alphabet is replaced with another letter (for example, all A's might be replaced with Q's). You start out with the ciphertext, and you decode it letter-by-letter until you reveal the plaintext message.

Features:
* Thousands of phrases to decrypt
* Three gritty graphical themes to choose from
* Unlimited hints to curb frustration
* Learn interesting facts and quotes about encryption, cypherpunks, and code-breaking
* See video of game in action: http://bit.ly/akoGzp

micah's comments:

Cryptose is an addictive cryptogram puzzle game where you use logic and reasoning to decode secret messages. Choose between three occupations to play as a hacker, a detective, or a spy.

Each game you get a random short encrypted phrase and it's your job to decrypt it. The phrase is encrypted with a simple substitution cipher, meaning that each letter in the alphabet is replaced with another letter (for example, all A's might be replaced with Q's). You start out with the ciphertext, and you decode it letter-by-letter until you reveal the plaintext message.

Features:
* Thousands of phrases to decrypt
* Three gritty graphical themes to choose from
* Unlimited hints to curb frustration
* Learn interesting facts and quotes about encryption, cypherpunks, and code-breaking

Cryptose Lite is out, and available for free: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cryptose-lite/id368877956?mt=8
04-27-2010, 04:34 PM
hmmmm this looks nicely done - anyone tried it yet?

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"

04-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
I'm holding a promo code contest. If you're quick you might get a code!
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=53292

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)
04-29-2010, 05:30 AM
i was quick and thanks a lot this is good

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"
04-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I just put Cryptose on sale for $.99, so now's the time to get it!

04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Interesting game, thanks for the code. A couple thoughts - one would be to have a "clear all" option on your board or menu somehow (not easily selected or with a confirm) so that you can erase if you just want to start over. And maybe an "undo" feature to just erase the last letter you tried. Another would be to allow a bubble or some other way to highlight which letter you're actually selecting. Sometimes I find that I think I've selected a certain letter only to figure out too late that I grabbed the wrong one. Nice set of phrases and such - many are not really super well known, so I think it does provide a good challenge.
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
@secondtime, thanks for the suggestions! Yeah I was thinking of some sort of system that shows you what letter you're actually pressing before you press it (like the iPhone keyboard), and I like the idea of a bubble. And clear all is a good idea too.

I was thinking that one thing Cryptose lacks is goals. You play the game here and there but you never "beat" it, or get any farther really. What do you think of the idea of adding achievements? It might be tricky to come up with what they'll actually be, but like 20 small goals that you can work on achieving while you solve the cryptograms. Things like, solve this many cryptograms in the detective theme, or solve a cryptogram in this many seconds.

04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
@secondtime, thanks for the suggestions! Yeah I was thinking of some sort of system that shows you what letter you're actually pressing before you press it (like the iPhone keyboard), and I like the idea of a bubble. And clear all is a good idea too.

I was thinking that one thing Cryptose lacks is goals. You play the game here and there but you never "beat" it, or get any farther really. What do you think of the idea of adding achievements? It might be tricky to come up with what they'll actually be, but like 20 small goals that you can work on achieving while you solve the cryptograms. Things like, solve this many cryptograms in the detective theme, or solve a cryptogram in this many seconds.
I can never beat a level Is the levels too hard or does the help page needs more explaining? Perhaps a tutorial level...

OpenFeint/Plus+/Crystal/GameloftLive:- OctopodSquad

Add me if you want!
Do it.
04-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I got this game via promo code (thank you - will get a review done when I play a bit more this weekend to make a fair assessment). My only issue after doing 2 puzzles has been the difficulty in selecting the letter I intend to hit. It's especially tough with my big, fat, meaty old-man fingers. The arthritis just makes it tougher. Hope something works out in reference to the above commented on difficulty in getting the correct letters.

Folks that don't already do cryptograms could have problems with this - the suggested tutorial would probably be helpful. Even just getting a bit of help that mentions some of the general tips one would use in solving these could be good. Point out most common letters, common letter pairs/triples, likely choices for words with apostrophes and so on. Step-by-step solving an easy cryptogram plus some help like the preceding would be nice for getting newcomers going.
04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Interesting idea on the achievements. Maybe you could break the phrases into categories so that folks could achieve goals within categories. You could also divide it into levels where harder levels have limited (or no) hints available.

A tutorial (perhaps with a well known set of quotes) is a good idea as RagManX and OctopodSquad mention.