★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Underworlds Ultimate Edition 1.1 out

04-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Underworlds Ultimate Edition 1.1 out

The 1.1 update is in the store. It features better controls (both touch to move and stick) and several other bug fixes.
04-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Don't know that I ever saw this in the iPad thread. I had a lot of fun with this game on the iPhone.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer

04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Blurry and lazy

Hate to say this but I bought this and it's the same as hitting the pixel double button on the iPhone version. Whereas Dungeon Hunter looks amazing, this looks like the dev wanted to make a quick buck and just scaled the graphics. The result is blurry and rather tough on the eyes. I've bought a lot of iPad games based on the ones I already owned on iPhone and this is the first one I regret.

Plants vs Zombies looks amazing
Fieldrunners looks amazing
Dungeon Hunter looks amazing
Underworlds looks horrid
04-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Meh, I thought Dungeon Hunter was a cheap ass scaled version as well for a Gameloft to make a quick buck. I think it was even on TAs worthless upgrades list
04-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I own the iphone version and really like it. The hardest thing about having an ipad is figuring out what games are really upgraded over their iphone version. Some have just a graphics upgrade with no extra content and some offer additional modes.
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
UW iPad was not just pixel doubled and called good. With that said, UW is a 2D game so we were kind of limited in what we could do. What we chose to do was to zoom the camera in by 1.5x giving you 2 things, a closer view of your character and creatures around you *and* the ability to still see more of the environment around you.

We also changed the interface, so you can have windows open while you are playing. We made it so you can position all the controls individually wherever you want, added new quick potion buttons and revamped the movement controls. We also changed the store interface so you can have your inventory and store up at the same time. And finally we gave you 2 extra save game slots.

We made the price $4.99 to be not at the high end of the scale. All in all, it is the best version of the game, thus the 'Ultimate Edition' moniker.
04-28-2010, 02:38 PM
So, are you saying that you didn't just pixel-double the graphics? Because it certainly looks to me like you did. While we're on this topic, the 1.5x zoom doesn't give us a closer view because you (again, it appears to me) didn't actually add any pixels. You would have been much better off leaving the graphics scaled as they were and just increasing the viewable area.

As it stands now, I have to agree with the other poster; it is a purchase I regret making.

I apologize if my comments seem harsh but I was pretty disappointed with this game.

Last edited by Ubisububi; 04-28-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: grammar (verb confusion)
04-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I very much enjoyed the iphone version. It was one of my earlier game purchases that kept me busy for many hours. I'm glad to see that it will now be on the ipad.
04-28-2010, 06:35 PM
No offense taken, but it seems as if you are looking for something to complain about that really isnt the case. Here are 2 shots of the game from the opening part of the game:

iPhone

iPad

You can clearly see that the game is NOT simply pixel doubled. Originally we weren't going to change the camera and just have the game render in full scale. However, there are very few places in the game where the line of sight made it possible to actually use the added real estate. The game was designed to use hallways and doors to block your view, so on the iPad we ended up with alot of black space around the edges. I did a bunch of tests with the view and came to think the 1.5x zoom-in was our best choice. I convinced the programmers and that's what we went with. It took considerable time to get that working. All the draw, particle and movement code had to be re-done.

Was it the right choice? I think so. But perhaps we will make a toggle to 1x zoom for an upcoming version.
04-28-2010, 07:32 PM
yes, the comparison helps. It does look better and if you had left the sprites the size they were before, they would have been too small.

Thank you for taking the time.

I'll be reinstalling the game and giving it another whirl. This time, I'll take the time to actually play it, rather than just look at it.

Last edited by Ubisububi; 04-28-2010 at 08:02 PM.