★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The best 3D backgammon game on the AppStore, a universal app with local and online multiplayer and text chat.

"I've played Backgammon games on various mobile platforms over the years and I have to admit that ArtDeco Backgammon 3D is the best one I've ever seen. The sleek graphics and fluid animation make for a cool gaming experience that can be found in no other app of this genre." - user review (5/5 stars)

ArtDeco Backgammon 3D brings you Backgammon in visually stunning 3D. Enjoy an intuitive game with a tactile experience that makes you feel like you are playing on a real art deco themed board.

The ArtDeco theme of the game ties in with the history of Backgammon as it grew and evolved in the New York clubs and societies of the 1920s. In an effort to capture this essence we bring you the game of Backgammon in the
timeless style of ArtDeco.

With multiple levels of AI to suit beginners and more advanced players, many features make gameplay feel intuitive and easy. The autosave and resume feature allows you to play the game as it suits you. If you don't have time
to finish a round, don't fret. Just exit the game, the next time you start it up you'll be back at the start of the round you were playing.

You can challenge other players with the Peer to Peer multiplayer functionality included in the game. Using GameCenter for online play, and Bluetooth connections for games with other local iOS devices.

NB: There is no match play option currently; the doubling cube, match play rules and options are not used at present.

Note that there is no competitive ranking in the online component as we are focused on casual gaming amongst friends.

*Online Multiplayer Checklist*

1. You need to have a GameCenter login.
2. You need to have GameCenter friends that also have this game.
3. You need to have an Internet connection that is not behind a firewall.
4. Via the 'Online P2P' button - invite a friend to play.
5. To receive invites from your friends you will need to have notifications enabled.
6. For best results - turn off Bluetooth when you attempt to use the online features.

If these provisions are not met you will not be able to partake in online multiplayer.

*Features*

- Universal Application: all devices capabable of iOS 6.1 and above.
- Dynamic selection of High Definition graphics: The same game will run on all your iOS devices, and it will tailor its graphics to the device you are using.
- Stunning 3D graphics with super smooth animation, full screen 60FPS on iPad and iPhone 4!
- Tactile drag and drop controls that makes you feel like you are playing the board game.
- Color coded move guides to help you make your moves, and undos, in a natural fashion.
- Intuitive multi-dice moves using drag and drop.
- Intuitive undos, using drag and drop or with the undo-all button in the bottom right corner.
- Online Peer to Peer Multiplayer using GameCenter, including auto-launch in response to invites from friends. (This requires the user to allow Push Notifications for Art Deco Backgammon 3D)
- Peer to Peer Multiplayer over Bluetooth.
- Pass and Play Multiplayer sharing a single device.
- 4 levels of AI difficulty.
- Pick up and play with the auto-resume feature that lets you get back to your game after interruptions.

LudoDigital's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

As the developer of this app; we are very excited to bring a slick 3D version of backgammon to the AppStore. We also think that the control scheme in our app is among the most intuitive for board games. We always wanted it to feel like you were playing the actual game on a nice board. The look & feel and the sounds should help make it feel that way.

---

Art Deco Backgammon 3D brings you the classic game of Backgammon to iPhoneOS devices in visually stunning 3D. Enjoy an intuitive game with a tactile experience that makes you feel like you are playing on a real art deco themed board.

Features:

- Peer-to-Peer Multiplayer using GameCenter and over Bluetooth.
- Tactile drag and drop controls that makes you feel like you are playing the board game.
- Color coded move guides to help you make your moves in a natural fashion.
- Stunning 3D graphics with super smooth animation.
- 4 levels of AI difficulty.
- Pick up and play with the auto-resume feature that lets you get back to your game after interruptions.
- iPad and iPhone 4 compatible
- iOS4 compatible with multitasking support.
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Update with different board styles, a double cube, and tournament mode and you might buy some sales. Especially since your game icon has a double cube in the pic. As is, it's all about the money, isn't it.

04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Considering it took 3 months to make whilst raising an infant, I'd say it is about passion, toil and money. Baby needs shoes after all .

Match play is certainly planned for the next update. You are right that it is perhaps misleading to have a double cube in the icon without it being in the game yet. Though if it had been just 2 dice it could have been for any game that uses 2 dice . We felt that a single die and a double cube would easily and quickly convey the notion that it is a backgammon game.

I'd love to hear some feedback on the actual gameplay and the control scheme if you get the time.

Cheers, Jacques
04-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'Star View Post
Update with different board styles, a double cube, and tournament mode and you might buy some sales. Especially since your game icon has a double cube in the pic. As is, it's all about the money, isn't it.
Wait wait - no doubling cube?

And yes I would love a backgammon game that had a tournament mode - Blokus is a good example of a tournament mode that has different objectives to accomplish each round. It's not all about the winning but the strategy. This could have things like winning with the opponent held to a certain pip count, or sending x number of pieces to the bar, stuff like that.

I really like the art style though but alas have a couple other backgammon games already so to spend for another one it would need something a bit more. I am curious about this though and the debate rages in my head.
04-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Cool,

I love you idea about trying to meet goals in the game. I'll see if I can work that in to an update soon. Thanks for the tip and I hope you won't be offended if I work with that concept for a bit. When it appears in the game at some point in the future you are always welcome to say you inspired the idea

What did you think of the general gameplay of the game?
04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudoDigital View Post
Cool,

I love you idea about trying to meet goals in the game. I'll see if I can work that in to an update soon. Thanks for the tip and I hope you won't be offended if I work with that concept for a bit. When it appears in the game at some point in the future you are always welcome to say you inspired the idea

What did you think of the general gameplay of the game?
Hey no problem - that is what we are here for! By all means use my idea, I think it would make for a unique twist rather than just plain winning all rounds. This would lend to different strategies in order to complete objectives. Backgammon is a thinking man's game and one must think ahead and to have objectives in mind rather than just constantly winning would really give it a challenge.

I am debating the purchase since I already have a couple other backgammon games but I must say yours did impress me. Adding in a mode like that would certainly push me over the edge though!
04-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Good looking "board" game! I'm curious how the game play is. I've played some BG games in the past and the gameplay seemed shoddy and unbalanced. I found it strange that the game would pick up strength from behind towards the end of the game and beat most of the time.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
04-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to follow our twitter at http://twitter.com/ludodigital
04-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Since I ripped into you a bit in the first post I'll give you some props where it's due. The AI is very good. Coming from the poor excuse by gameloft, and others, the computer opponent does not make dunce moves. Well done.
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'Star View Post
Since I ripped into you a bit in the first post I'll give you some props where it's due. The AI is very good. Coming from the poor excuse by gameloft, and others, the computer opponent does not make dunce moves. Well done.
Well that just moved this up my list! Nothing worse than a bad AI, or a "lucky" AI.