★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iTD update is out

02-17-2009, 12:14 PM
iTD update is out

There seems to be no thread on itd's latest update, so here goes...
The update seems to consist of two new maps for normal difficulty level and one for hard, all maps now also playable in endless mode, and graphics revamp.

The additional maps are very welcome, and so are the endless modes, but I'm not sure if I like the changes in graphics. The maze has now a pseudo 3d effect, and most things have been given a rotating effect: the range indicators have a rotating texture, the explosions are slightly textured and all enemies now rotate anticlockwise. I played through one of the new (edit: old actually) levels called 8-bit, and all that rotation made me feel a bit uneasy. Maybe I'm just too sensitive

I have always liked the itd's simple and clean graphics, I don't know if an update was needed for them. Probably will get used to them in a short time.

Thanks to dev for supporting this great tower defense!

Last edited by cptlockheed; 02-17-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Fixed the new levels info
02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
8-bit is an old level, but,

I agree. the new graphics are meh. the rotations are the most annoying thing by far, but the pseudo 3d...it takes away from the pure TD goodness that it was before. It was simple, it was basic, it had some depth, and it was fun! I'd rather a pseudo-bloom effect like Blue Attack! than a pseudo 3d effect.

anyway new levels are always welcome...how about new towers too? :-P

02-17-2009, 01:41 PM
New maps always welcome.

8-Bit was moved from Hard to Easy, which kind of makes sense. Zig Zag was moved from Hard to Medium, which I think also seems right. Snakes was certainly one of the hardest on Normal, so that is a good move to Hard. I know a lot of people had trouble with Back Bend, but once you know the starting placements it really was not that hard. But I think it makes sense in Hard considering.

Impace and Two Paths are the New Medium paths, and have not had a chance to play them yet. Impact looks especially interesting to me.

Not sure why the new Hard map is locked, do you have to beat all levels on Normal first?

The only graphic change I notice is the red bombs, and it appears that this will be much cleaner for frame rate when you have a board that is heavy on 4-bomb towers. The cleaner graphic might also help with power consumption?

Overall, I look forward to spending some quality time with these maps soon. and thank the devs for continuing to support what I think is still the best TD game.

Now that there are so many endless options, a global leaderboard would be nice. Actually internal leaderboard with more than the high score would be nice too.

And of course, new towers and creeps
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
This has got to be one of the most polished TD's so far as far as balance goes. Nice clean, pro graphics (still clean I think with the additions), and a great sound track that keeps me 'in the game'. A nice tower tree too, with clear goals. I love the concept of same colour towers giving more damage, yet the different symbols have different attributes too which leaves me with that challenging 'patting my head and rubbing my stomach' feeling. Love it Of all the maze TD's out there, this is my favorite...

EDIT: Not a crash or bug in sight either. Fab!

Last edited by Alichan; 02-17-2009 at 04:24 PM.
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Great update Team Phobic. I'm glad you guys changed the image of the lasers.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
02-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Nice update.
02-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennfusion View Post
Not sure why the new Hard map is locked, do you have to beat all levels on Normal first?
You just have to beat the normal level in front of it (Two Paths).

Glad everyone is liking it, I can understand how the spinning might be a bit annoying, play it for a bit and if it still bothers you. A bug did sneak out so we'll probably have a minor update sometime soon.

Heh, just for fun, first person to post a screenshot of beating Which Way(the new hard level) on normal mode(not endless) perfectly (600 points) will get a free copy of Bounce On... just post the screenshot here and send me a PM.
02-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Small Bug: The time doesn't display leading zeros for < 10 seconds.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaswills View Post
Heh, just for fun, first person to post a screenshot of beating Which Way(the new hard level) on normal mode(not endless) perfectly (600 points) will get a free copy of Bounce On... just post the screenshot here and send me a PM.
Here's my best so far:

Will have a perfect score soon. ^ ^

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 02-17-2009 at 09:45 PM.
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
I already have Bounce On. Man, this challenge is tough though.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread