★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Extremely poor sales, what's next?

04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Extremely poor sales, what's next?

Hi,

My game 'Vector Rally' been out for almost a week now and there is no secret, had very poor sales - sold ~60 copies in total and probably will be selling 0-2 copies from now on.

Responses from players are positive (talking about official thread on TA), unless of course they are lying, but don't see the reason why would they do so.

My question is, what would you do next? Should I just forget it and move on? I want to do few upgrades just to say thanks to existing customers, but then again I can't spend too much time on it either.

Or should I try and make this game better somehow? Functionality wise it already has WiFi and Bluetooth multiplayer, but looks like nobody cares about this. (won't do local multi player support in upcoming games, big mistake!)

Also, should I release lite version and drop price to $0.99?

With lite version I'm afraid that 99% of users will play for 10 seconds and then.. WTF is this about?? and leave 1 star review.

Any ideas and criticism is very welcome, want to learn from mistakes!

Start your engines gentlemen, Vector Rally is out!

---
Twitter: http://twitter.com/VectorRally
04-29-2010, 07:34 PM
try everything - but in particular the free promo services such as FreeAppADay, Free Game of the Day etc can help.

Alternatively, think about making it free for a time, while planning updates for when it goes paid again.

You need to create a community about your game.

Plus think about Android, web Flash etc versions

Build buzz

04-29-2010, 07:55 PM
hey keep your chin up-60 isn't bad, and soon you would have made a profit. I advise you make the app free briefly, allow it to gain some traction, and then reprice it. This has worked for a lot of apps, and I hope it works for you
04-29-2010, 08:05 PM
I've said it before, but ~60 copies in one week is still better than some folk.
When you call it "very poor sales" what were you expecting, and why?

Your app is certainly unique, but it doesn't really have mainstream appeal. Niche games tend not to do well in the AppStore, given the way visibility works.

I'm in no position to give you advice - I've put out plenty of apps, but have had only one modest success. Of all the apps I've made, it's probably the one I least expected to catch on. I would suggest to move on. If you do do an update, don't do it with the expectation of improving sales. You've got (relatively) good visibility as a new release. Updates are pretty much invisible except to existing customers. I'd also warn you against going free unless you have a plan in place that will let you capitalize even while remaining free (i.e. you had a second game you wanted to advertise, or an in-app purchase).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJayStudios View Post
Hi,

My game 'Vector Rally' been out for almost a week now and there is no secret, had very poor sales - sold ~60 copies in total and probably will be selling 0-2 copies from now on.

Responses from players are positive (talking about official thread on TA), unless of course they are lying, but don't see the reason why would they do so.

My question is, what would you do next? Should I just forget it and move on? I want to do few upgrades just to say thanks to existing customers, but then again I can't spend too much time on it either.

Or should I try and make this game better somehow? Functionality wise it already has WiFi and Bluetooth multiplayer, but looks like nobody cares about this. (won't do local multi player support in upcoming games, big mistake!)

Also, should I release lite version and drop price to $0.99?

With lite version I'm afraid that 99% of users will play for 10 seconds and then.. WTF is this about?? and leave 1 star review.

Any ideas and criticism is very welcome, want to learn from mistakes!
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
thanks everyone for suggestions!

I completely understand that my game while unique it doesn't have mass market appeal, but for some reason I thought it can still do better than 1-2 sales a day (~60 was from first few days, then dropped to 1-2).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not angry or anything, I knew the risks involved with app store. Only thing I want is to make a little more money (if possible) to fund my next project.

I do an update and will probably include playhaven for cross promotion and also do lite version with one track only. Not sure if lite will do more good than harm though.

I guess at some point I can try free version for a day, but maybe a bit later, whats there too loose anyway?

---
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
If you do do an update, don't do it with the expectation of improving sales. You've got (relatively) good visibility as a new release. Updates are pretty much invisible except to existing customers. I'd also warn you against going free unless you have a plan in place that will let you capitalize even while remaining free (i.e. you had a second game you wanted to advertise, or an in-app purchase).
I agree with this completely. An update won't increase sales, and going free without a plan is a bad idea.

Go ahead and release a free version, it can't really hurt sales at this point.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
I agree with this completely. An update won't increase sales, and going free without a plan is a bad idea.

Go ahead and release a free version, it can't really hurt sales at this point.
Yes, I understand update won't increase sales, but its a tribute to fans.

What about lite version? Could this work?

I'm thinking release lite version and after a week if it is still crap, then make free a day campaign etc.

---
04-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I would definitely try a lite first -- what do you have to lose? At the very least you'll have a chance to get your game's name out there to more people.
04-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant- a light version. The main problem will be getting the proper exposure for the lite version. A 'good' conversion rate will see a 10% purchase ratio. So that means if you want 10 sales, you need 100 free downloads.

Not all games are able to achieve this ratio, but it gives you something to compare.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Ok, got it, I was little confused by 'free'

Lite version it is then, it will only take me a a few hours to make (hiding features is way easier than making them).

I don't think it will achieve 10% ratio, but anything above 0% is good

Thanks again!

Oh, btw - what do you think, should I leave WiFi / Bluetooth multi player in Lite version? My plan is 1 track only, no global scores/achievements and multi player on shared device only.

What do you reckon?

---