★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

8 bit music - like it or not?

04-30-2010, 08:00 AM
#1
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,975
Send a message via MSN to JoshCM
8 bit music - like it or not?

Just curious what everyone thinks about 8 bit tunes (chiptunes)
or retro style stuff. Especially the youngins. Since I'm an old guy,
I love the commodore 64 and NES music, Gameboy too.
What about you all?
04-30-2010, 08:07 AM
#2
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 1,665
I absolutely adore chip tunes. C64 SID had a huge influence on me as a kid. I listen to SID tunes in my car. I love the fact that there's a huge scene out there now with people making all sorts of new lo-fi 8-bit music. I made my own sound synth just so I could have this style of sound and music available to me for my projects, FOREVER.

So yes, it's OK I guess...

Madgarden aka Paul Pridham -- Code, sound, pixels: Death Road to Canada, PUNCH QUEST with rocketcat games, EGGNOGG, Chillaxian, GlitchMachine, Saucelifter, Sword of Fargoal... and more stuff on the way.
madgarden.net -- saucelifter.com -- glitchmachine.com -- fargoal.com forums -- madgarden@twitter

04-30-2010, 08:10 AM
#3
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,975
Send a message via MSN to JoshCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgarden View Post
I absolutely adore chip tunes. C64 SID had a huge influence on me as a kid. I listen to SID tunes in my car. I love the fact that there's a huge scene out there now with people making all sorts of new lo-fi 8-bit music. I made my own sound synth just so I could have this style of sound and music available to me for my projects, FOREVER.

So yes, it's OK I guess...
If you made saucelifter - congrats - I love that game. Still have it on my iPhone.

but I want to hear from the young people - hopefully they will chime in. I have no idea what kids like these days as far as music goes.
04-30-2010, 08:23 AM
#4
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 666
I'm more like into rock music, like Metallica, Linkin Park, Billy Talent, Green Day or "die Ärzte", but I kind of like the 8bit Linkin Park music thing from the game.

So, 8bit music is not my favourite kind of music, but I'm not completly disliking it, as well

Last edited by Nascor; 04-30-2010 at 08:51 AM.
04-30-2010, 08:35 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 540
If you mean anything like...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2GEVqsomQ
Then I dislike it...

It's too high pitched and screechy, and doesn't seem to fit the game.

I DO, however like music from consoles such as SNES, N64 etc.

Sokaroka
Graal HQ - http://graal-ta.weebly.com/
(Very outdated, haven't played Graal in years, but still has some decent guides etc. if you wanna update it/take over feel free to PM me)
04-30-2010, 08:43 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
If you made saucelifter - congrats - I love that game. Still have it on my iPhone.
Yup, that be my puppy. Glad you like it. I have some pretty cool plans for a sequel.

To keep it on topic... I'll be adding some chip-tunes to Saucelifter (title music, high scores, game over jingle etc.) when I have time to do another update.

Also, my kids like chip tunes, if that counts.

Madgarden aka Paul Pridham -- Code, sound, pixels: Death Road to Canada, PUNCH QUEST with rocketcat games, EGGNOGG, Chillaxian, GlitchMachine, Saucelifter, Sword of Fargoal... and more stuff on the way.
madgarden.net -- saucelifter.com -- glitchmachine.com -- fargoal.com forums -- madgarden@twitter
04-30-2010, 09:07 AM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,975
Send a message via MSN to JoshCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokaroka View Post
If you mean anything like...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2GEVqsomQ
Then I dislike it...

It's too high pitched and screechy, and doesn't seem to fit the game.

I DO, however like music from consoles such as SNES, N64 etc.
SNES had some good stuff for sure.

commodore was definitely more scratchy sounding than the NES.

what do you think of this type stuff?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkWYvENgxwA
04-30-2010, 09:11 AM
#8
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 540
Ohh I could definitely play to that

Wouldn't listen to it without a game, but it sounds great for the old sorta games.

Sokaroka
Graal HQ - http://graal-ta.weebly.com/
(Very outdated, haven't played Graal in years, but still has some decent guides etc. if you wanna update it/take over feel free to PM me)
04-30-2010, 09:12 AM
#9
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,975
Send a message via MSN to JoshCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgarden View Post
Yup, that be my puppy. Glad you like it. I have some pretty cool plans for a sequel.

To keep it on topic... I'll be adding some chip-tunes to Saucelifter (title music, high scores, game over jingle etc.) when I have time to do another update.

Also, my kids like chip tunes, if that counts.
thats excellent man!!!
can't wait for the update.
and the new tunes.
04-30-2010, 09:22 AM
#10
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hungary
Posts: 3,949
If it's well-made, I can enjoy it. Especially if it fits the theme of the game.