★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Arif Mehmood
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 16.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.2 (6)
App description: Featured as TUAW's Daily App (May 5th 2010)!
Featured in New & Noteworthy and What's Hot in stores around the world!

"The minimalist retro feel works great with the muted color palate which all blends with the gameplay. All the elements just fit together very nicely.
It's a challenging game that when beaten leaves the player with a good feeling of accomplishment..."
Gamezebo.com review - 4 stars

"The entire game has a minimalistic retro feel that is finely polished.
The game is an engaging unique take in the App Store that will having you wanting to complete all 21 levels."
AppAdvice.com preview

"... if you're a fan of the one-tap timing and high score-centered gameplay of Dizzypad, then Captain Ludwig should be just your thing"
Toucharcade.com review

"From what I've played so far it's much more than Canabalt on steroids, it's actually much more fun and a bit less repetitive. The levels are fluid and nice and the graphics are better."
iVaro - Toucharcade user

"Very fun game, from what I've played so far. The best comparison I can make is to Captain Galactic, except the controls in this are a lot easier and the game overall is a lot more addictive."
matthewwhatever - Toucharcade user

------

There is a Lite version available!

Captain Ludwig is an incredibly addictive game in which you jump from planet to planet, while dodging numerous obstacles and catching bonuses.

The controls are simple and intuitive - just tap the screen at the right time to jump. An ideal match for your iPhone or iPod Touch!

Captain Ludwig features :
- 21 awesome levels
- Jump through space, or fly a rocketship
- A new feature every level
- A thrilling and very retro boss fight
- Simple and intuitive controls
- Stylish graphics
- Awseome music by Kevin MacLeod - or listen to your own music!
- OpenFeint highscores and achievements

Mudloop's comments:
EDIT : A Lite version is now available, see below.

Captain Ludwig is an incredibly addictive game in which you jump from planet to planet, while dodging numerous obstacles and catching bonuses.

The controls are simple and intuitive - just tap the screen at the right time to jump. An ideal match for your iPhone or iPod Touch!

Captain Ludwig features :
- 21 awesome levels
- Jump through space, or fly a rocketship
- A new feature every level
- A thrilling and very retro boss fight
- Simple and intuitive controls
- Stylish graphics
- Awseome music by Kevin MacLeod - or listen to your own music!
- OpenFeint highscores and achievements

New : Lite version

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Enjoy!
03-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Cool...I have been waiting for this.

03-26-2010, 06:30 PM
this looks cool
03-26-2010, 06:33 PM
From the gameplay video, it kind of looks like Dizzypad, but with planets and stars instead of lilly pads and dragonflies. Except this appears level based instead of all you can get.

I'll be interested to hear some impressions.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
03-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
From the gameplay video, it kind of looks like Dizzypad, but with planets and stars instead of lilly pads and dragonflies. Except this appears level based instead of all you can get.

I'll be interested to hear some impressions.
Yes, pretty much which is a good thing. I like space more than frogs, so I am pretty happy with this.
03-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Looks more or less like a simplified variation of Namco's Star Trigon.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I just had a chance to play this and I am impressed. Captain Ludwig is a genre within itself. In the game, there are numerous obstacles and powerups to collect that enhance your score. There is a lot of replay value because of trying to jump to each planet in the least amount of moves possible. The music along with art style has a nice vibe to it and the game is very polished. There is a level selection menu which includes your best score for each level along with you top 10 best scores for each level. There is also OpenFeint integration with 22 achievements to unlock.

For 99 cents and the amount of content included, Captain Ludwig is a steal that everyone that owns an iPod Touch/iPhone should own. If you are thinking about passing over this game because you already have Dizzypad, you may want to rethink your decision!
03-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Brilliant game, very classy looking. Stylish and minimalistic. Gameplay ramps up really quickly, but never feels overwhelming.

I'm not a massive achievement hunter but the way they are handled on here demands that you perfect every level, a very clever way of enhancing replayability.

Very good job all round.
03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
When I loaded Captain Ludwig I first thought "Oh No!",as I saw the Unity logo hit the screen.

Well, I can tell you a new class of developers have adopted Unity because Captain Ludwig loads, processes and controls splendidly! I honestly didn't want to pull myself away from the game.

For a gamer such as myself (arcade, community high-score motivated) this game is a real gem. The scoring is handled nicely with lots of ways to be affected. The gameplay, while simple at it's core, is constantly added to in terms of variant options and also it's fun and challenging.

Everything about the UI is simple, responsive and appealing. The music fits the game to a T.

I'm gonna play some more, just felt I should give the devs some feedback, as I'm impressed with the game.

Richard

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
03-26-2010, 08:36 PM
This is an outstanding casual game. Addicting gameplay, cool sounds and awesome music, and Openfeint leaderboards.

The goal of the game is to hop from planet to planet avoiding dangerous obstacles in the way and collecting stars for points. Each level requires you to reach a specific number of planets. In some levels you will have to fly a rocketship to reach certain planets. With the planets rotating all you have to do is tap anywhere on the screen to jump when the character is pointing in the direction you want to go. When flying a rocketship you also just tap in the direction you want to go to steer, but only have a limited amount of time to operate the rocket(30 seconds) You can stop at a planet and get back into the ship to reset the timer. You can also revisit any planet you have already reached in each level.

Missing a jump, crashing your rocketship, or hitting any dangerous obstacle at all in a level will cause you to lose a life. You are given 5 lives in each level. At the end of each level you complete you are shown how many jump attempts it took you to reach all the planets and the amount of time it took, as well as your score, jump and time bonuses added up for your total score. There is a personal high score list for each level and global leaderboards through Openfeint that make an already great game even better with stats and achievements.

This game is not as easy as it appears and is all about good timing. But every bit about the game is super fun and has a retro arcade-like feeling to it. Highly recommended for pickup and play gamers. 9/10