★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: rampant plagiarism in the appstore

02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
rampant plagiarism in the appstore

Ok, so I've seen this a few times and I'm sure you have too, but this time it was so freaking bad I had to post about it.

Often I see games where concept is knocked off of a arcade or console classic. This is not a big deal to me, but there are plenty of apps that plagiarize style, aesthetic, gameplay mechanics, the whole works, from titles that are still licensed!

If apple audits for "possibly inappropriate content" why not stop rampant plagiarism.

If I can't submit other peoples ideas as my original work in academia, why can devs profit off of other peoples' ideas, gfg.

So check this one out and please post your own examples:

http://appshopper.com/games/absorbed

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/home/588666.html

Smartball was one of my favorites, the copyright holder is Sony (epic/imagesoft).

Other recent, more obvious examples are the "Cu*Bert" ripoff, and the Duck Hunt clone.

Why is nothing being done about this? So.. we can't have mature content, but people can blatantly rip off existing (and well known!) works? c'mon Apple..

Last edited by case; 02-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.
02-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I think its good and bad. I mean, just because they have the same idea doesnt mean they couldn't be completely different games. In some cases they are the exact copy, and those i dont agree with. But in the end, i think it benefits everyone, i mean what are the chances that the original dev of that game is going to port it to iphone? Very slim, so this way we can get our favorite games and while they arent official, they are still fun.

dirty deeds and their dunderchee

02-17-2009, 11:17 PM
It's the fact that they are making dollars off of someone else's original IP.

I could care less about cloning game mechanics, but when its a combination of elements stolen from the same work or a complete clone being touted as original work, I get frustrated
02-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Sure, ok, but the devs are still programming it. They're putting work into games they love. What's wrong with that? Sure, it's blatant rip-off, but like Rocketman said, most games won't get ported over. And who knows, the devs might actually do better jobs (every so often).

But they should give credit. I agree 100% there.
02-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Didn't Duck Hunt get removed from the app store because it was plagiarism? I say NO to it. Variations I'm fine with.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
02-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
It's the fact that they are making dollars off of someone else's original IP.

I could care less about cloning game mechanics, but when its a combination of elements stolen from the same work or a complete clone being touted as original work, I get frustrated
There is nothing illegal about designing a game that is almost an exact copy of another. As long as the name isn't copied, character names, or any other items that can be licensed, there is nothing legally wrong with it.

Now , if the person claims they created it out of thin air, well maybe they're being an idiot and a liar, but again, it isn't illegal.

Look at all the Tetris knock-offs as an example. Look at reality TV shows all copying each other, etc etc. Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, yada yada...
02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
We the consumers want the real deal. But if they wont give us the real thing, a clone will do just fine. (a good clone)
02-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to s0mah Send a message via Yahoo to s0mah
Last time I checked this same conversation was held in a thread entitled:

3 weeks ago

twitter @ here
teh myspace @ &here
02-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Well I happens I guess but there's a lot of ways to find legal loopholes and such.
02-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Smart Ball looks good, Absorbed looks shyte it's so amateurish.

Anyway, If that counts as a rip-off, then Bounce On is a rip-off too?