★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: how about two "free" sections in the app store?

02-18-2009, 09:08 AM
how about two "free" sections in the app store?

Alright, so I definitely agree that something needs to be done to protect high-end apps in the app store (and no, i don't really think a premium $20 section is the best way to do this), but i'd like to see the opposite happen as well.
I think there needs to be two "free" sections in the app store. Onne would be for full, real applications and the other would be for demos.
it annoys me to no end that the top rankings are always just a list of "lite" games and whatnot. it makes it damn near impossible to find the real gems of the free itouch realm: things like jellycar, intercepting force, starlink (anyone played this? really great game), etc. in general, i don't bother with demos, except when they essentially function as full games (ishoot lite, fish tycoon lite), but i love tiny little free games. just can't ever find them.
02-18-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree re the "free apps" and "free trials" sections but I also agree with a premium games section for the same reason--to make it easier to find them.

02-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't classify both ishoot lite and fish tycoon lite as full games. If they were the full games, they wouldn't be lite versions.
They still do limit you in one way or another (weapon options in ishoot, number of tanks or something in fish tycoon), but I understand your thought.
Don't think Apple cares too much about the free stuff, that's not where they make their money. They want you to find the "gems" (which are the expensive apps), and that's where they are going to focus their resources
02-18-2009, 09:23 AM
i think its a good idea, but i am interested to see how the 19.99 section will turn out, if there is one (im not sure if it has been given the go ahead by apple)

Plus+ ID: jordancoolj
Member of the 11th Battalion Infiltrator Division
02-18-2009, 09:50 AM
A better way to 'protect' premium priced apps would be to have the top 100 lists sorted by price of unit as well of volume. For instance, one $0.99 app would have to sell 10 copies to have the same rank as 1 copy sold of a $9.99 app. Sorting just by volume is driving prices down.

Games Uncovered: The best iPhone gaming news and reviews.
www.gamesuncovered.com
twitter.com/gamesuncovered
youtube.com/gamesuncovered
02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I think this is a great idea, it always annoys me when I try to look for good free apps in the top 25, only to find Lite apps making almost half of the list.
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
Alright, so I definitely agree that something needs to be done to protect high-end apps in the app store (and no, i don't really think a premium $20 section is the best way to do this), but i'd like to see the opposite happen as well.
I think there needs to be two "free" sections in the app store. Onne would be for full, real applications and the other would be for demos.
it annoys me to no end that the top rankings are always just a list of "lite" games and whatnot. it makes it damn near impossible to find the real gems of the free itouch realm: things like jellycar, intercepting force, starlink (anyone played this? really great game), etc. in general, i don't bother with demos, except when they essentially function as full games (ishoot lite, fish tycoon lite), but i love tiny little free games. just can't ever find them.
So what you want are full games, you want them for free, and you want them to be easy for you to find...?
Gee, not asking for much there, are you...

I can appreciate that it annoys you to no end that the list is full of "lites" or "demos", but remember that it's the public who place them at the top of this list by downloading them and rating them the public gets what the public wants.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
02-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday, a free lite section and a lite free section.
02-18-2009, 10:14 AM
I think that Lite Apps (demo's) should be a link of the main applications page and should not have any effect on Rankings. Free apps should be that. Demos should be demos and paid apps should be paid apps!
02-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
starlink (anyone played this? really great game
quite hard indeed!