★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: GameHouse
  • Genre: Simulation
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 8.8 MB
  • Version: 1.2.17
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Design tattoos!
Learn to draw like the masters in Tattoo Ink - Hollywood, and become the artist of choice for the rich and famous!

As an apprentice at a small-time parlor, your dream of becoming a tattoo artist just took its first steps. But while you hope to one day mingle with celebrities and splash them with your designs, the road to tattoo stardom first means learning the basics, dealing with clients, and honing your craft to perfection. Grab your equipment and prepare to ink!

Design the coolest tattoos based on customer preferences and build up your reputation. Keep a steady hand, outline the design, fill in the color, and wipe off any excess ink. Be quick, but be careful because messing up the designs will mean a failed career and missing your rent.

Once your reputation is solidified, it's off to learn from the tattoo masters around the world. Can you become the best and open up your very own tattoo shop in Hollywood?

Start as an apprentice, then open your own shop and design tattoos!
Select the coolest styles based on customer preferences
Outline the design, fill in the color, and wipe off any excess ink
Stay in the zone and dont mess up the designs!
Learn from tattoo masters around the world

Highly recommended for fans of L.A. Ink, Miami Ink and Inked.

GameHouse Guarantee: We take pride in the loyalty and trust our customers show us when they purchase a GameHouse product. If you are not completely satisfied with your recent purchase, please contact us at iphone-games@real.com.
05-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Looks interesting.. any vids?

05-03-2010, 05:32 AM
This does look interesting. A video would be really great to have.

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
05-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I'll give it a try.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
05-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
I'll give it a try.

And? Impressions please.

/
05-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Price drop $2.99 -> $1.99

I think I'll give it a try now
05-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Why wont they release a video? The description of the gameplay is too ambigious but I'm actually quite intrigued. Also I'd like a chance to see the controls in action because this could either be really good or really bad.

Does RealNetworks, Inc. ever release gameplay videos?

Last edited by songbird; 05-05-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
05-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Game Impressions

Here's the low-down on my TOFTT. Patrons come into your tattoo shop and request a tattoo and you are scored based on how well you accomplish your goals. In this game, that involves choosing a tattoo that best fits the patron's tastes, including embellishments, outlining it in black, then airbrushing in the color.

Choosing the right tattoo is simply a matter of reading the patron's comments and bio, then selecting the tattoo that best fits that criteria; not super exciting, but I guess it adds some flavor. Inking the tattoo tries to be a little more realistic, showing a needle that moves and tilts pretty convincingly as you adjust the speed and location of your finger. If you successfully ink over several key areas marked in blue, you enter a zen state in which the needle tracks much more tightly to the outline. When you lift up your finger at corner, the needle properly reorients to ease you into the next line. Completing the loop prompts you to wipe the excess ink away and begin the coloring process.

Coloring is a bit different, because you are guiding a wide-nozzle airbrush over the interior of the tattoo trying to get solid coverage, without going outside the black outline that you laid down previously. When you get your fill, you wipe it away to reveal the completed tattoo and are scored based on how much pain you put your client through and also your completion time, I believe.

Pain can be caused in either stage and it is represented by a gauge. I think speed is the primary trigger, but jacking around in the same area too much may have an effect too (not sure). If the gauge fills four times, presumably they leave, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

There are three different tattoo artists that you can play through with and three different locations. The first shop only has 4 or 5 tattoos, each of which can be modified by 4 or 5 embellishments like blood or a crown. When you get to the next shop, I think that number doubles for each. There is a "boss" for each shop that you have to fight, as well, but I didn't notice how they differed, although I'm sure they probably do in some manner (update: boss tattoos are unique).

Overall opinions: I really like that they went more for a realistic approach, as compared to Tattoo Mania Deluxe, for instance, but I feel like the artwork falls short of the stylized approach found in that title, both in the patrons and the tattoos themselves. Tattooing is an art, so that weighs pretty heavily for me, but I do realize opinions on artwork are subjective. Personally, I miss the time-management aspects of TMD, as well. I'd definitely give the nod to TDM, if I had to choose, but I'm still willing to play this one to completion.

Update: Ugh, okay, 45 minutes later, I beat the game. Then I tried to start again with the hardcore tatt dewd and he was locked. Played through 4 tattoos with the other chump and the only thing that changes are the customers; same tattoos. There are achievements, but they aren't linked to any social network. Now I can honestly say - too short, not enough polish, not challenging enough. Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 05-06-2010 at 02:24 AM.
05-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Here's the low-down on my TOFTT.

Now I can honestly say - too short, not enough polish, not challenging enough. Rating: 2.5 out of 5
Thank you so much, and awesome review BTW!