★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Touch Ghosts Wanna enter the Top 100 Promotion

10-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Touch Ghosts Wanna enter the Top 100 Promotion

For Today aiming to finally enter the top 100 Touch Ghosts will be Free instead of the usual 0.99$. The change should become active in the next few minutes.
10-14-2008, 03:33 AM
If you're going to put it back to paid afterwards then be prepared for some backlash. It's happened a whole heap with other apps that used the same method to get themselves into the top 100 paid list.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-14-2008, 07:26 AM
That is an AppStore problem. The AppStore shouldn't include free downloads when calculating the top paid apps. If they are going to include them, then they are encouraging developers to temporarily price games for free and... uh... I'm perfectly fine with that! I'll download it for free and review it as if it were 99 cents.
10-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
That is an AppStore problem. The AppStore shouldn't include free downloads when calculating the top paid apps. If they are going to include them, then they are encouraging developers to temporarily price games for free and... uh... I'm perfectly fine with that! I'll download it for free and review it as if it were 99 cents.
Oh I agree, it's definitely an app store problem and in a perfect world developers wouldn't take advantage of it. I guess I just don't like taking advantage of loop-holes myself.

10-14-2008, 08:08 AM
I really don't care about the top paid list. It means nothing to me. I realize that it makes a big difference for sales, but for me it means nothing - those aren't necessarily the best apps. What does matter is that developers are making their games available for free and/or cheap in order to get on that list. That sounds good to me, and if my downloading it for free makes them money in the long run, more power to 'em.
10-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I really don't care about the top paid list. It means nothing to me. I realize that it makes a big difference for sales, but for me it means nothing - those aren't necessarily the best apps. What does matter is that developers are making their games available for free and/or cheap in order to get on that list. That sounds good to me, and if my downloading it for free makes them money in the long run, more power to 'em.
Yes it does make a big difference for sales and that they're not the best apps is obvious (for the most part). Is it particularly good for consumers that it's full of apps that aren't that good, some of which have used this trick of being free to get there? (note: I'm making no comment on the quality of the app this thread is about by saying this!) I'd guess not. It's also not good for developers whilst loop-holes like this are around. It wouldn't matter so much if the app store wasn't so completely skewed in terms of volume towards free offerings. But it is and hence it's a problem.

As for cheap...well...I think in the end we may find that this is all self-defeating as developers may end up pulling out of a market where really cheap pricing is expected, as many realise that the recompense for their efforts won't arrive. It's a slightly different point, I guess, but interconnected all the same.

Last edited by moopf; 10-14-2008 at 08:59 AM.