★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: BoardBox 1.1 with Backgammon and Full Chess Rules! $0.99

05-04-2010, 01:31 AM
BoardBox 1.1 with Backgammon and Full Chess Rules! $0.99

Hi everyone!

We're back to announce our latest update for BoardBox!

We've been a bit quiet for the past few weeks, but that is because we've been hard at work updating BoardBox with our most requested game yet: BACKGAMMON! And in true BoardBox fashion, we haven't only included one version, but FOUR fully playable backgammon games, complete with full rules.

Which brings me to our next point: rules in Chess! That goes from all the basics right up to castling and en passant for you hardcore players who know what that means!

The full lineup in our 1.1 update includes so much more than just those things though! The update includes a reworked settings panel, tweaked email multiplayer support, some revised graphic designs, and of course, chess rules and backgammon, complete with three unique board styles, pieces, and two beautiful sets of dice!

We're also throwing in our own creation, Tournament Tic Tac Toe, with nine simultaneous games for quick in and out game play without clearing the board each and every time!

Take a look at some screenshots of our latest creation; you'll be able to get it for FREE as a current BoardBox owner or for just $3.99 in the iPad App Store when it launches by the end of the week!

Make sure you take a look at the Movile Blog for the full list of updates and to keep up with all our updates in the future! Also, you can follow Movile on Twitter!

This update is free and the full game is on sale right now for just $0.99!

In the meantime, take a look at these screenshots!

Last edited by movile; 05-12-2010 at 09:27 PM.
05-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Does it support statistics (winnings/losses and so on)?

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

05-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
Does it support statistics (winnings/losses and so on)?
Not at this time. There is no way to really track that since you are supposed to be playing with another person, and since people can change colours or sides at any time, it would not be accurate.

If we find a simple way in the future, it will make it into a release.

Thanks!
05-04-2010, 01:44 AM
I forgot there's no AI player. Anyway graphics are top-notch, outstanding.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
05-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Thanks very much! We're really sure you'll love the update with Backgammon, Rules in Chess, and Tournament Tic Tac Toe!
05-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I've been waiting for this update. I love backgammon.

I was just wondering, is it a bug or a deliberate implementation that when you place a piece (at least in Chess) to the left of another piece, that the piece ont eh right has a modified touch zone? When I do the above move, the piece on the right is hard to 'grab' on the left side.
05-04-2010, 01:05 PM
mrkgoo, The way the pieces interact is in layers. The piece that you move, because it is placed last, would be "on top" of others, and there is some overlap between the pieces because of the shadow on the piece.

There is no real way to change this without putting in an advanced lighting system of some sort, although we are looking for workarounds on the issue. Thanks!

We're sure you'll love the update!
05-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by movile View Post
mrkgoo, The way the pieces interact is in layers. The piece that you move, because it is placed last, would be "on top" of others, and there is some overlap between the pieces because of the shadow on the piece.

There is no real way to change this without putting in an advanced lighting system of some sort, although we are looking for workarounds on the issue. Thanks!

We're sure you'll love the update!
Ok, thanks for clarifying! I wasn't sure if it was intended or a bug. I thought it was something to do with the layers of the shadows. Something I thought would be a neat idea (but obviously tricky and time-consuming) is to have the shadows not a layer with the piece in a way, but to rotate with rotation (and or compass orientation), thus creating a more realistic illusion of a real board (shadows according to sun direction or something). Yeah, I know it's a huge undertaking for something so frivolous, but just a whacky idea if you wanted to go completely nuts.

Thanks, again.
05-05-2010, 01:23 PM
The trick to keeping our app at a small size but still have high graphic detail is using images as opposed to 3D models. Hence, we don't have the ability to add proper lighting effects at this time in the way you suggest, but believe me, it's crossed our minds multiple times!
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM
fantastic app.
I'm waiting the launch outside US for buy it.
If you are going to choose a next game implementation what about the Shogi japanese boardgame?

Plus+ ID: matax
OpenFeint ID: matax
add me if you want