★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Puzzle Quest vs. Aurora Feint

02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Puzzle Quest vs. Aurora Feint

I know, I know....there are many threads for puzzle quest and aurora feint. I have searched, and I could post the links if that would make some of you happy. For those that want to help me, please advise:

I have aurora feint, and I love it. However, I keep hearing about Puzzle Quest. I have seen many gameplay vids and read tons of reviews, but I can't quite figure out why I should have both. Is it better than Aurora Feint or very different. I haven't played PQ on any platform, so I do not have a reference point other than vids and reviews.

I am intrigued for $7.99, but that is not cheap by app store standards either. And I do know that Chapter 2 is coming out.

Thanks in advance for the constructive input in helping me make my decision. I love this forum!
02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Good post. Both are gem matching games and have RPG elements to them. Having never played Aurora Feint myself and having JUST purchased Puzzle Quest (and feeling a little lost) I'm interested in the differences as well.

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2

02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1975 View Post
I know, I know....there are many threads for puzzle quest and aurora feint. I have searched, and I could post the links if that would make some of you happy. For those that want to help me, please advise:

I have aurora feint, and I love it. However, I keep hearing about Puzzle Quest. I have seen many gameplay vids and read tons of reviews, but I can't quite figure out why I should have both. Is it better than Aurora Feint or very different. I haven't played PQ on any platform, so I do not have a reference point other than vids and reviews.

I am intrigued for $7.99, but that is not cheap by app store standards either. And I do know that Chapter 2 is coming out.

Thanks in advance for the constructive input in helping me make my decision. I love this forum!
Why not check out the Puzzle Quest Lite version?

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304641991&mt=8

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
I will install it when I get home tonight. But I am also interested in hours of gameplay, weapons/abilities, overall feel, etc.

Any input is appreciated. Maybe not many people have played both.
02-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Aurora Feint has better graphics, and you can tell its been designed ground up for the iPhone. The gameplay though, is heavily based on match-3, its a pure grind and PvP combat in the Arena.

Puzzle Quest is not multiplayer. It is a port so there are a couple of rough edges (cosmetically) but they can be overlooked, and have been improved a lot since updates.

It is also a real RPG. The match-3 aspect of the game replaces a regular RPG's battle system. Imagine replacing the turn-based battles of Final Fantasy with Match-3.

This means, Puzzle Quest has the following features:

- Characters, and classes
- Stats like HP, Experience, Levelling etc..
- Magic
- A real storyline
- Over 20+ hours of gameplay for Chapter 1. It's probably been more like 30 hours for me and I haven't completed it yet because I'm doing stuff quite slowly
- Quests following the main storyline
- Side-quests to gain extra experience + money
- Shops that sell items (weapons, armour, rings etc..)
- Random battles (creatures appear randomly)
- Taverns where you can read about the current affairs of the world
- Properly explore a huge world map, not like the pseudo-clicking-map-thing on Aurora Feint

Features rarely found in other RPGs:

- Capture creatures you have fought and gain their spells
- Research spells
- Forge weapons using runes
- Siege other cities

I still enjoy AF, but Puzzle Quest is in a league of its own. It's a REAL game.
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
As Phi6 wrote, the two games are quite different.

Aurora Feint is a match-3 game with socialization and tools to upgrade your match-3 options.

Puzzle Quest is an RPG where combat is arbitrated with various match-3 minigames. Puzzle Quest has a storyline, side quests, classes, etc.
02-18-2009, 12:52 PM
agreed. Puzzle Quest is much deeper a game than Aurora Feint.

arn
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you very much for that long comparison, Phi6...that was awesome! I think I am getting Puzzle Quest before money burns a hole in my pocket! I just have to figure out what to delete...I love Aurora Feint as well, so I think I will have three match three type games on my iDevice.
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Aurora Feint is just a match 3.

Puzzle Quest is much more than that.

There
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Completely agree.

The PQ updates have cleaned it up quite a bit since release... I play it everyday now. Personally, I'm quite happy with what they've done...they earned some respect by paying attention to our demands =)