★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Reiner Knizia's Keltis Oracle (v1.1 Retina Display)

05-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Reiner Knizia's Keltis Oracle (v1.1 Retina Display)

I couldn't find a thread about this...I LOVE Knizia games, and this is a sequel to Lost Cities, one of the best games ever IMO, so I immediately bought it. I've yet to play but will post impressions when I do.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
05-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Mrbass put up a thread a while ago (he is king of boardgames after all) but I can't find it on my iPhone.

I bought this game earlier today and was really displeased with it. It's the first knizia game I've bought from the AppStore that I was disappointed in. The graphics are pretty poor (on iPhone, I don't have an iPad), the UI doesn't really help new users understand what is happening, the rules don't explain things very well (Especially scoring)

There is also a bug that causes the game to crash if exit a game and try to start a new one from the main menu

I really hope the devs continue to refine the game to the game more accessible

05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
That is awesome, I knew it was out for the iPad, but if it is on the iPhone too, then I am ecstatic.
05-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epedemix View Post
That is awesome, I knew it was out for the iPad, but if it is on the iPhone too, then I am ecstatic.
It's a universal app.
05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
It's a universal app.
It is now but v1.0 was iPad only.

While I think I like it but can say, without hesitation, that this has got to be the most convoluted of the RK games yet with so many different aspects going on all at once with the classic Lost Cities card game as only a means to move your pieces around on a swirling board and no longer a key scoring element in itself. At the very core gameplay it is about scoring as many points possible by collecting all of the mirrors and wishing stones you can before you opponent sangs them (these are items on the game board which are given out in a first come first serve so there is some incentive to keeping ahead of your opponents), but at the same time you want to collect as many scoring pebbles as possible (landing on some spaces will give you bonus points) and just whizzing out ahead you might miss hitting some of these. I'm not even going to get into the Leprechauns and the Oracle here and how one scores with them! It's also weird in that while it looks a bit like you're playing a game of Sorry/Parchessi trying to be the first to get your tokens home, there is no way to directly interact with your opponents like some classic "land on them to send them back home". As far as I can tell nothing is gained by landing on a space occupied by one of your opponents (or lost for that matter unless it means that they collected some key wishing stone or mirror from that space so there is nothing left for you to gather by landing there. As I stated at the beginning I think I like it and have a rough grasp of the mechanics at this point but NO CLUE how to work all of these elements together into some sort of feasible strategy (kind of like I know just enough to control where my men are moving, but not enough to know how to react to whatever my opponents might be doing to thwart my hopes of wining).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I read through the rules and was basically lost. I hoped that trying out a game would help illuminate what I had read, but if anything, I was more lost. I'm now trying to see if I can find instructions for the board game online because I have no idea what's going on here. I hope that since the dev posts here they will SERIOUSLY consider redoing the rules completely and possibly even add a tutorial of some kind. I'm sure this has the potential to be a lot of fun, but I have all of the other Knizia apps (almost a whole page worth now!) and the Lost Cities board game and this is the first one I wasn't playing with at least a basic understanding in 15 minutes.

Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Oh nice find that it has come to iPhone! I saw it had got to iPad the other day, but that's not so much use to me, and I saw no reason from how the game looked to be why it could not go on the small screen. Will try .
05-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Rules (as simplified as I could)

Tiles are one of several colors and contain a number and some dots.

Select a tile and select one of your pieces to move your piece to the next spot of that color (place a brown tile and move to the next brown space)

The tile then starts a "stack". So let's say you played a Brown 8, on a following turn you play a Brown 9. This makes it an Ascending Stack. So the only valid tiles would be the other brown 9, and the 2 brown 10's. All the Brown tiles below eight can't be used. It's important to start statcks with the highest or lowest number you can so you don't make your own tiles worthless.

The dots are used when you move the Oracle instead of your own pieces. If the tile has 3 dots then you can move the oracle 1-3 spaces. If you move the oracle to a spot one of your pieces occupy then you get a bonus 5 coins added to your score.

Leprechaun scoring is basically useless as it needs all 3 of your pieces to be on leprechaun spots. If all 3 are on DIFFERENT leprechauns you get 15 coins, if all 3 are on 2 different spots you get 10, and if all 3 are on 1 leprechaun spot you get 5.

You need to collect wishing stones to help your end score. There is a chart in the rules section that shows how much you get.

The mirror adds a multiplier to your wishing stones (that includes the negative score from only getting 0-1!) per mirror
05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks for that Vegan. It's starting to come together a bit more after I've played a bit. I'm hoping that the increased difficulty curve will eventually equal a richer strategic experience. I have faith that the core gameplay will be great since Knizia has always come through. The rules probably do need to br revamped to make things more easily understandable however.

05-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Tiles are one of several colors and contain a number and some dots.

Select a tile and select one of your pieces to move your piece to the next spot of that color (place a brown tile and move to the next brown space)

The tile then starts a "stack". So let's say you played a Brown 8, on a following turn you play a Brown 9. This makes it an Ascending Stack. So the only valid tiles would be the other brown 9, and the 2 brown 10's. All the Brown tiles below eight can't be used. It's important to start statcks with the highest or lowest number you can so you don't make your own tiles worthless.

The dots are used when you move the Oracle instead of your own pieces. If the tile has 3 dots then you can move the oracle 1-3 spaces. If you move the oracle to a spot one of your pieces occupy then you get a bonus 5 coins added to your score.

Leprechaun scoring is basically useless as it needs all 3 of your pieces to be on leprechaun spots. If all 3 are on DIFFERENT leprechauns you get 15 coins, if all 3 are on 2 different spots you get 10, and if all 3 are on 1 leprechaun spot you get 5.

You need to collect wishing stones to help your end score. There is a chart in the rules section that shows how much you get.

The mirror adds a multiplier to your wishing stones (that includes the negative score from only getting 0-1!) per mirror
The only thing missing is that if the game ends and you still have pieces out in the field, you gain points according the the space's value with the early board spots being negative values so you'll need to ensure you're at least in the positive areas!

Also that Leprechaun thing can only be scored once per game (although I didn't catch that they ALL had to be on Leprechaun spaces to even attempt this score).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews