★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Raging Thunder price drop

10-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Raging Thunder price drop

Just thought I'd let you know that we've temporarily slashed prices in half on Raging Thunder in the AppStore. Get it while it lasts!

10-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Yes, get it from the app store here .
I can confirm, as far as I am aware, all previous reported audio bugs have been fixed. I certainly have had no problems with the latest version. It's certainly good for the new price (2.39 in the UK store).

10-14-2008, 07:18 AM
So is this game worth picking up for $3.99? Note that I didn't like Cro-Mag nor that motorcycle one, the name of which escapes me at the moment. I really haven't liked the accelerometer controls in either and am quite skeptical about that control scheme in any racing game. The motorcycle one is better then Cro-Mag just because there is a goal to try to achieve (beat the timer), but neither is even remotely as fun as Black Mamba Racing.
10-14-2008, 07:51 AM
In Arcade mode you also have a checkpoint race. And I prefer the accelerometer control of Raging Thunder over all other racers with tilt control. Also the graphics are nice, detailed, colorful. It really makes fun playing this game.

But after about three weeks I removed the game. These were the causes:
1. In later tracks the graphic is no longer smooth, but begins to stutter like in Nitro Kart.
2. It has not very much content.

The second one of course was well-known from the beginning. Raging Thunder is a short arcade racer and makes fun. But - which comes as a surprise to me - this does not keep me motivated. Asphalt 4 has more content, more and longer tracks, more different game modes, more to customize etc.

But if you don't like the controls of Asphalt and/or Asphalt is too much for you and you just want to have a really fun and fast feeling racer, Raging Thunder is very very good.

Here is my current rating:
  1. Asphalt 4
    "real" game, much content, smooth graphics
  2. Moto Chaser
    motorcycle checkpoint racer, smooth graphics
  3. Raging Thunder
    car arcade racer, checkpoint racer, cup racing, smooth and later stuttering graphics, muddy sound
  4. Black Mamba
    Classic Top-View-Drift-Racer. Smooth Graphics, really bad sound effects, which sound like these air-to-ground-attack-warning sirens in war.
  5. GTS World Racing
    formula 1 racer, smooth graphics, low sense of speed, strange on-rails-feeling, sound neary non-existing, boring landscape
  6. Pole Position
    Retro Formula 1 racer. Nice graphics and sound, smooth, but you die when you touch something.
  7. Nitro Kart 3D
    Mario Kart clone, unplayable stuttering graphics (would be on position 2, if the graphics were smooth)
  8. Cro Mag Rally
    kart racer, pixelated objects, very free and therefore "unkarty" feeling, only great in submarine mode in Atlantis
  9. Audi
  10. Scroll Driver

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de

Last edited by Oliver; 10-15-2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: New racing games
10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I am on the fence with this one.

It looks good and all but from the reviews and posters I am not sure it is worth it, even at $4.

I already bought Asphalt 4 and love it, I like the different steering options and the huge amount of details.

Is this one just tilt controlled? That is what it sounds like but I wanted to know for certain. I'm not getting rid of Asphalt 4 but was looking to expand on the driving games. Is it worth it or should I wait for something else?
10-14-2008, 01:35 PM
I love sales!

@Polarbit - I love sales, especially for things that are already on my "considering" list.
Can't wait to start playing. Thanks!
10-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Just picked up Ranging Thunder and I feel this racer will be enough till need for speed (which I hope is good).
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Can anyone tell me how long this game is? How many tracks/cars are there? Can't push "buy" just yet...
10-15-2008, 04:13 AM
I've not tried this yet, but IMO, the award for best control method for iPhone racing games, goes to Pole Position, and it's horizontal sliding approach. It has the accelerometer and touch wheel approach options too, but those never really work satisfactorily in any game.

iPhone 6s Plus: (64GB 'Bro' Gold)
iPad Air: (64GB Wi-Fi Space Grey)
MFi controller: SteelSeries Stratus.
Retina MacBook Pro(2012): (2.7GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD)
10-15-2008, 04:23 AM
Well, I really like playing with the tilt control in Pole Position, Raging Thunder, Moto Chaser and sometimes Asphalt (the last one is a bit too sensitive). But for playing in a subway the accelerometer control is sometimes a bit confusing (for me and others around me). I noticed, that the slider control of Pole Position works *very* *very* *good* in this situation. It's like using an analog joystick for left and right steering and also felt a bit like using the analog joystick on the playstation 2 pad.

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de