★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Is the iDevice the best gaming machine ever?

02-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Is the iDevice the best gaming machine ever?

I've spent close to $400 on games alone, and that's about 8 next-gen games, but in proportion I've played it A LOT more than the NES, SNES, Gamecube, Wii, PS3, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, Gameboy, GBA, and DS that I own/have owned.

In sheer number of hours I've played the DS more but I've owned one for three years.

Yesterday I had the Touch and the DS with me and I played the DS 10 minutes and the Touch 5 hours or so. Gaming goodness.

There are SO many apps for a buck that have hours and hours of replayability. For me it's the best gaming machine out there.

The battery life is another story. Whenever I play mine it's always plugged in somewhere.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 02-18-2009 at 01:16 PM.
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I've spent close to $400 on games alone, and that's about 8 next-gen games, but in proportion I've played it A LOT more than the NES, SNES, Gamecube, Wii, PS3, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, Gameboy, GBA, and DS that I owned/have owned.

In sheer number of hours I've played the DS more but I've owned one for three years.

Yesterday I had the Touch and the DS with me and I played the DS 10 minutes and the Touch 5 hours or so. Gaming goodness.

There are SO many apps for a buck that have hours and hours of replayability. For me it's the best gaming machine out there.

The battery life is another story. Whenever I play mine it's always plugged in somewhere.
For hardcore games, no. There's no justification for investing in such a game for the iPhone for 5, at the moment.

For its distribution model? Yes, the best.

For the sheer amount of casual games? Yes, probably.

For its controls? No, but it does have a USP, that is multi-touch and accelerometer.

For its potential to be? Definitely...

02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
no, no its not the best EVER. is it good? yes, the best ever? no.

battery life sucks, lots of crap games,

is it as good as the DS or PSP? in my opionon, yes

DS- crappy touch screen, little kid games, bad graphics
PSP- horrible battery life, not easy interface to add music and ect., expensive games

So, heres what i would call it

the best portable gaming console of the current generation
02-18-2009, 01:12 PM
yes, ive spent about 130 dollars on games. and heres another thing, you cant compare the prices of ipotch games and of PS3 games.
PS3- better graphics, better capabilitys, home console
iPotch- portable
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I disagree highly. There is no way you can compare anything on an iDevice to games like Left 4 Dead (Which is my favorite multiplayer game ever. Ever.). You just... Don't. They're on a completely different level, pc games.

Plus, it just don't feel as good to blast a zombie on a tiny screen than on a good sized monitor on max graphics. Although I am fond of Zombieville USA.

I would say, however, that it's far better than the ds and psp.
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I think the iDevice is the best portable gaming device yet. Why? Well, first of all, the app store and its accessibility, giving users an unprecedented amount of choice due to: a growing library of games, a growing repertoire of independent developers (look at iShoot and the success story behind it) and also pushes big brand developers like EA to compete and release quality products and not have to heavily rely on brand alone.

Plus, add in the touch screen interface and accelerometer. We will start to see more apps take advantage of it in order to develop proper controls (Hero of Sparta's joystick is an example of controls done right). Plenty of games have the graphics and frame rate, but lack in this area. This will change in time.

Keep in mind the app store is still in its infancy and already there are over 10,000 apps. Because of competition and the need for massive sales, developers both independent and big namers are pushing our idevices to its limits.

So.. basically. App store + a seemingly unlimited amount of devs + competition + a portable computer (yes, your idevice is quite powerful) = win. Period. There's power in numbers.

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2

Last edited by Jorlen; 02-18-2009 at 01:32 PM.
02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
They are nothing even close to being the best ever.

Even the prices aren't as good as people make them out to be. A good iPhone game costs ~10 dollars, but on the PS Store you can get a good game without a poor framerate and good production value for $5. Such as Rayman, Beats ect.. And when the DSi store launches, I'm sure it will have similar quality games.

Also, the touch screen/ accelormeter control method doesn't work well with most games. The iPhone in it's current state is hard to even compare to current portable gaming systems. If Apple releases a new iPhone with a more powerful processor and a better way of controling games it may become a decent gameing machine.

And look at the quality of the games we have, there's a topic asking what games you play on the toilet.
One last thing, the PS Store also allows you to download FULL PSP games off of the store for between 5 and 22 dollars, without the risk of poor framerate or overall quality.

Last edited by gigidey; 02-18-2009 at 01:45 PM.
02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
To be fair, I play the DS on the toilet too (and the only reason I don't play the PSP on the toilet is because I don't play it).
02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I play my Touch a lot more than my 360 these days, but to say it's the best, as in better than actual consoles devoted to games (I'm looking at ps3 and 360), not a chance.
Cannot compare in any way to those gaming machines. Best portable gaming device? That's at least a possible debate but best in comparison to a 360?? Not a chance, even if I play it now more often than my Touch, it still doesn't even come close to comparing
02-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Best ever? no

One of the most innovative mediums ever? yes

15,000 apps and games to sort through including sometimes over a hundred in a day? addicting

I have become much more selective in the past 30 days because i have so many great games and my bullshit detector has gotten stronger. I can now spot a stinker a mile away. The good news is that there are solid games out there and devs are getting more familiar with the platform. By the end of the year, we're going to see some very inventive games that will blow us away.

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...