★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Broken Column Games, LLC (in association with ARB Studios, LLC) proudly presents Malum Umbra. This new dark adventure for the iPhone features first-person game play and advanced 3D graphics like never before seen on a mobile platform. Featuring a rich musical score by award winning composer Jeremy Lamb and a unique user interface that is both dynamic and intuitive; Malum Umbra will have you on the edge of your seat. Eight mazes of progressive difficulty and a time/score tracking system for all players provides hours of thrilling game play. Filled with fierce creatures and deadly traps, Malum Umbra will have you peaking around corners and afraid of what might be lurking in every shadow.

The Story:

The evil sorcerer Karro has made his ultimate bid for power by seizing the Vatra, source of all light within our world. Shattering the Vatra, he has hidden its shards deep within 8 dungeon-like mazes. Filled with deadly traps, vicious creatures and evil shadows at every turn, it is up to you to navigate each maze and recover the shards of the Vatra. With his power being too well know to Karro, your teacher Uhn has sent you to brave the horrors within. Uhn has sent tools and weapons into the mazes to help you survive the evils. If you find yourself in the shadows you will surely be doomed. Only you can fight Karros darkness and repair the Vatra.

About Us:

Broken Column Games, LLC located in Atlanta GA was formed in early 2009 with one sole purpose: To make great games! Whether its mobile gaming or full-scale MMO, Broken Column Games brings you the best games around. Our games incorporate the latest technologies, top quality graphics, exceptional music, rich story lines, and intuitive interfaces. Our talented staff of artists, developers and game designers are focused and determined to provide the best gaming experiences.
05-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Got it, impressions soon.

05-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by Darkstar21 View Post
Got it, impressions soon.
Looks interesting. Let us know what you think!
05-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Hmm... this is an interesting game. I'm not sure how much i will enjoy playing through it, because i have yet to encounter a game like it. The basic concept is that as the apprentice to the narrator you are tasked with finding pieces of an artifact to stop some great evil. These pieces are spread out, one per level, at the end of a dangerous maze filled with traps, monsters, and pick ups. luckily, you are equipped with a mystical candle shaped like a skull that lights your way through the perilous mazes, and also serves as your only weapon. Gameplay is simple adventure with a focus on navigation over combat or character. The game reminds me of other 3d maze games, which i usually find somewhat boring, however the added danger and general dread-ish atmosphere make searching for the safest path more exciting. these added elements aren't all sunshine and Cinnabons though. The combat is pretty repetitive as you only have the candle which seems to have a range of about 4 feet, this amounts to nothing more than close range button tapping. You can also find health and chalk to use like breadcrumbs. I just wish there were some rpg elements to make the simple combat more interesting. Luckily combat isn't the main focus, and sneaking along avoiding traps has already led to a few thrills during the 3 dungeons i've traversed. As a proud card carrying graphics whore, I am very happy with the tech side of the game which would serve as a good benchmark for the i-device. Aside from the visually repetitive nature a dungeon crawler brings, the textures, lighting, and shadows are very nice, and help motivate you to explore the world. the music is also excellently creepy, and is a just selling point. The question I have to ask myself now is; am i truly patient enough to put exploration above combat without boring myself to death? So far, i'd have to say Malum Umbra is at least a step in the right direction.
gameplay 7/10
graphics 9/10

I forgot to mention the controls. There are a bunch of options, and they work fine, but as all first person shooters on the appstore go, they take a little getting used to.

Last edited by Darkstar21; 05-06-2010 at 11:27 PM.
05-05-2010, 04:38 AM
I'll update my impressions tomorrow once i've played some more, there may be more features buried in there somewhere.
05-05-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm disappointed. It's basically just walking through dark corridors. No leveling, no skills, just your magic candle thing with which you slay the very few enemies. It's really boring.

It would be a great tech demo though, since the graphics are really great..
05-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Any updates, Darkstar?

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
05-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I'll update at 9:46 pm. after work.

Last edited by Darkstar21; 05-06-2010 at 12:49 AM.
05-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Game Impressions

I have played more than half of the mazes so far, and the game definitely gets better as it goes along. I am still split on making an all inclusive recommendation though. There are some really cool moments to be sure, for example, one of the mazes starts off with a corridor shaped like a (Y), as i approached the (V) from the stem, the decision to turn left was forced upon me because barreling down the right corridor was a minotaur-like beast. Knowing that the minotaur was too powerfull to defeat, i ran down the left passage with the monster in hot pursuit; The passage now led straight ahead, with one corridor branching off directly right about 20 yard ahead. the sound of hooves behind me soon became the least of my concerns since rolling towards me from the front was the boulder from Indiana Jones! I just managed to reach the branching passage as the boulder rushed past me, sealing the creature behind it. Sounds pretty cool right? Still, the majority of the experience is simply a maze game, and if you like those kind of games, this is the best, but if not, there aren't enough of those movie-moments to change your mind. While you're still forced to engage in pretty poor combat, i did find some pick-ups that upgraded the damage of my main weapon, these make exploring a little more meaning full. I also played through enough mazes to see that there was a lot of work put into the texture/geography of the game, and it's not as visually repetitive as i first thought. The controls have given me some trouble during combat, as it can be hard to turn around quickly, but raising the sensitivity helps a lot. I Have high hopes that the dev will take whats here and turn it into a game like oblivion, because they already have the look, production values, and movement down pat. My final say is that if you like exploring mazes, 3 bucks is a fair price, but if you're looking for an action adventure, wait for a sale.

Last edited by Darkstar21; 05-06-2010 at 12:23 AM.
05-06-2010, 06:34 AM
If the dev ever reads this: Do you have plans to use this engine in the future?