★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Make a Passage for PRIMROSE!

02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
!!! Make a Passage for PRIMROSE!

it's an information from slidetoplay dot com, all the copyrights on theirs behalf.

"Back in December, we wrote about art game developer Jason Rohrer's Passage, a one-of-a-kind meditation on human existence. Rohrer just told us about his latest project, a puzzle game for iPhone, MacOS and Windows called Primrose, which is to be launched tomorrow.

Primrose marks a bit of a departure for Rohrer, who is known mostly for developing indie games with a philosophical or political message behind them (although he is also consulting on a major commercial project for EA and Stephen Spielberg at the moment).

By contrast, Primrose is a traditional, grid-based puzzle game, albeit with a unique fusion of concepts at its core--part Reversi, part Conway's Game of Life. The idea is place colored squares on a grid in such a way that one color group is surrounded by another. This eliminates the surrounded squares, scores you points, and flips the color of the surrounding squares to the just-eliminated hue. Clever players can build high-scoring combos by setting up the squares just so and setting off a chain reaction.

The tricky part is that you're given two squares at a time to place, and after you place the first, the second can only be installed in the same row or column as the first. Plus, the game keeps added new colors to the mix every 96 moves. The game ends when you've filled in the entire board. It's very cerebral, engrossing stuff... and it's very much a Rohrer game, too, even though the subject matter is different.

As we said, Primrose is due to go live tomorrow. The price will be $2.99. Stay tuned for more coverage."

also some screenshots can be found here: http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/primrose-first-look

i'm a huge fan of this guy, i love passage and can't wait to see primrose on my iphone

Last edited by pante; 02-18-2009 at 07:39 PM.
02-18-2009, 07:26 PM
no one interested?

02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Heck, I am!

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
02-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Looks interesting, I personally like his games and will gladly give it a try.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
need TOFTT

i was just playing Nurikabe when i saw Primrose on the new games list. There is some similarity in play from the description.

Thanks for starting the thread; I'm hoping for a TOFTT agent or a review

I'd give it a try, but just spent a few so I need to recharge my buying rationalizations.
02-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Primrose is already available (US Store at least).

I've purchased it because I like this kind of puzzle game.

First of all it's a slow paced game. In fact, you have all the time you want. It's the opposite of Frenzic for example. Well I think you all know what I mean.

The gameplay is simple: two tiles per round; the first you place anywhere but the second in the same row or column; the goal is to surround another color by another one then you score and more free space is open for you to play; the game is over if the board is filled. There's no twists such as a special tile. There's no game modes or difficulty levels. It's a plain puzzle game.

The graphics are simple but nice. Colorblind aware. No music but subtle sounds.

Online high score (including daily) and the ability to see a game replay of one of those listed there (interesting and unique feature).

Game can resume which is very important by the way.

Advice: before starting a new game (it starts with a new game) go to menu and write your name so your first score gets your name!

My first impression: the graphics and sound work for the game tho something modern and advanced would fit better in a new game concept (it does not look polished); the gameplay is nice: it's better than Otello and Lights Off alike games (those used to describe how Primrose looks like); I don't feel addicted but I'll surely play it more due its unique approach.

For those that like puzzle games it's recommended for sure.

My rate is 4/5 (graphics should be better, the first score should force you to write your name, icon is so so).

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
02-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Thank you for the review, Carlos-Sz!
Your reviews are always well thought out.
02-19-2009, 01:52 AM
some notes, video, and developer comments on it

02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
So I was one of those people who thought "Passage" was complete bum rubbish, right?

Just for the pure hell of it, I went ahead and purchased this game last night at midnight release.

Even though I had to wake up at 7 am, I stayed up until almost 4 am playing "Primrose"

This morning the first thing I did upon waking was brew some coffee and play this while I waited.

I think this time Jason hit gold!
02-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Ok playing it on my imac now. oh ok instructions included in menu.

download full free game about 2MB for windows, linux, mac