★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "WOW! This game is amazing!"
- mobile plus

"A stroke of gameplay genius!"
- iphonefreak.com

They're crazy, they're cute, they're lost! Help them find their way back home. Build bridges for them, dig tunnels, place trampolines, and blow up mountains. It's truly fascinating to watch the little Twiggles bounce around!

If something didn't work out right, you can always turn back time. While you hold down the rewind button, time will run backwards until you release the button.

- Highly addictive gameplay
- Easy to learn, hard to master
- Manipulate time to solve the puzzles
- OpenFeint support
- 35 achievements
- Online leaderboards
- Beautiful animations
- Great soundtrack

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Lite : http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-twiggles-free/id373222139?mt=8
05-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Looks a very cute lemmings clone.

05-06-2010, 06:03 AM
I've been on a bit of an app buying spree lately, so I'm having to reign in spending for a bit and recover. Putting this on my future purchase list. It looks pretty good and I'm a sucker for Lemmings style games, which this appears to have.
05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Insta-Buy! Impressions soon.
05-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Game Impressions

Truly awesome!

Ok to state the obvious its a lemmings style game BUT with a few cool twists.
There are 5 worlds with 6 levels each. Only the first 2 feel like tutorial levels, as soon as you start level 3 you already feel the need for speed and quick wit that makes lemmings games fun. (but in a way that eases you in till you get to the truly hard higher levels)

Lemmings:
Basically, little creatures, Twiggles with funny hats, go in a straight path and keep walking until something stops them. They need you to asist them to get to the portal at the end of the level. They will walk off the end if you don't guide them using different tools that are made available. These tools have to be used at different points and you have to figure out which one to use when. You have to be quick though because if you don't get them fast enough, in some places they will walk right off the edge. Also, you typically have to keep an eye on all of them at once because sometimes different twiggles will be dealing with different areas of the level and obstacles at the same time. Each level has a minimum number of Twiggles that must survive and reach the portal in order to clear the level. And all must be completed before the time runs out. Faster times means higher scores or better medals.

The Twiggles has some pretty cool twists to it.
First of all the rewind and fast forward buttons are a really nice touch.
I think my favorite thing about it is how you don't always get all the tools you need at the beginning of the level. Sometimes you have to get them will your playing. A twiggle will walk into it and then it will be in your inventory to use. This gives room for some of your twiggles to get into trouble (or um...fall into places of no return, unless you hit the rewind button*) in the mean time while you are getting the supplies necessary to get them to the portal.
* Note: hitting the rewind button actually lets you watch as everything that happened in the stage goes backwards. This includes removing all the tools you put in place.
Also, from the lemmings games that I've played before, when they need to get somewhere higher up you actually watch them build the steps. In The Twiggles the steps come pre-made and they can and sometimes have to be re-used. You can simply pick them up and transport them rather than having them be stuck to that area. I really like this minor difference because in the other lemmings games I've played I've had to restart whole levels becuase I started the step building process too early or too late and ran out of the limited 'step building abilities'. In The Twiggles if you put it down in the wrong place, just move it. However, better precision is still valuable because it saves you time.

Gameplay is challenging and typically requires losing a couple of twiggles before you figure out how to get them to the end. Getting the gold medals by perfect timing becomes really difficult.

Graphics are awesome & controls work well. Totally loving this game.

Also within the app, on the menu screen, it mentions some type of iPad contest that ends in July for the person who can make the best video tutorial for lemmings newbies. The video must be uploaded to Facebook and 'liked' the most number of times.

A minor points to mention if the dev is watching:
When the level finishes because you got the minimum required Twiggles to the portal, the level immediately ends. Why don't I get to spend the extra 3 seconds watching them all go in? This is a stupid point but when I saw it cut off after the minimum went in for the first time, I thought the game glitched or something because the ending felt so abrupt.

Last edited by songbird; 05-06-2010 at 11:20 PM.
05-06-2010, 11:50 PM
The thing which made the original Lemmings games so great, was that each level was a puzzle which needed to be solved with the tools you were given. It wasn't about timers or finger dexterity - as every Lemmings clone I've seen thus far on this platform appears to be. From the video, this one looks no different. Correct me if I'm wrong - I'd love it if that were the case.
05-07-2010, 05:20 AM

Hi,

my name is Heiko, I'm the developer of "The Twiggles". Thank you so much for your feedback!

The little, blue Twiggles are currently #13 in strategy games in the US, #11 in Germany and #5 in the UK after just one day! This completely blows my mind :-)

I'm excited to hear what you think of the game. If you have ideas or suggestions, post them here or in our Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=346522492340

@songbird: Good idea! I will definitely think about that in a future version.
05-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
The thing which made the original Lemmings games so great, was that each level was a puzzle which needed to be solved with the tools you were given. It wasn't about timers or finger dexterity
I agree. I did my best to make "The Twiggles" about solving the puzzle and not about timers or finger dexterity.

For example: In the game, you can manipulate time in any way you want. You can pause, rewind and fast forward. If something didn't work out the way you planed it, just turn back time a bit and try again.

There is a timer in the game, but the timer will stop when you pause the game and actually run backward when you rewind time. So it's more about finding the perfect solution, than about being fast.
05-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCo View Post
I agree. I did my best to make "The Twiggles" about solving the puzzle and not about timers or finger dexterity.

For example: In the game, you can manipulate time in any way you want. You can pause, rewind and fast forward. If something didn't work out the way you planed it, just turn back time a bit and try again.

There is a timer in the game, but the timer will stop when you pause the game and actually run backward when you rewind time. So it's more about finding the perfect solution, than about being fast.
Thanks, if nothing else, you're making me go watch the video again more closely. Question though: what is the purpose of having the timer in the game at all? What you described appears to defeat any purpose?..
05-08-2010, 07:31 AM
@Gabrien: The lower the timer, the better your solution. If the timer is very high, you probably took the long way round. But that doesn't mean you have to be fast (since you can always pause or rewind), it means you are rewarded for finding the perfect solution.