★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Lightning may not strike the same place twice, but bad luck sure does.

After a series of unlucky events, J ends up with a book that engulfs her in a mysterious cloud and catapults her... well, not a place that J would be keen to go- straight into an ancient siege. J will need quite a bit of quick thinking to get out of the various problems that will appear in her timeless adventure.

Hidden Tales is a hidden object puzzle game based on historical events. With the beautiful graphics, get enchanted in the worlds before our time as you help J find and use the daily items on the scene to overcome the obstacles in her travel!

psst! We have set up a forum for you to seek assistance from other players. (But please don't spoil the fun by giving obvious answers!)
05-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Game Impressions

Hidden Tales is a value-rich adventure that reminds me of a culmination of all the D.S. adventures I've ever played, and that includes professor Layton. Why the developer posted the specific screenshots above is beyond me. This is a game that has your character traveling through time meeting the masters of their respective eras, why all of the screenshots show almost no gameplay is pretty confusing. I am here to say that the look and graphics are one of the games most attractive draws. It is refreshing to see something other than the quazi-realistic hidden object games in the appstore. I don't want to compare this too closely with those games however, because this is definitely a full fledged adventure with maybe a quarter "find the blank." The reason i am most reminded of a ds game, is surely the look, but also the focus on puzzles over drama or plot. There is a decent, fun story, but puzzles rule and abound, and they are well done. One puzzle had me arranging mirrors to burn down a fleet of ships, while another had me lay out scraps of paper to invent the catapult, and another making a lever out of a small stone, marble, and stick. Each puzzle has its own set of rules, and most likely a matching 1$ app on the appstore. The game is also informative about the historical events you are warped to, which makes it educationally entertaining (if that's not an oxymoron.) . The game isn't perfect. The music that plays throughout is nice, and relaxing, but doesn't change with the situation i.e. Full scale war.
And there are minimal environment sounds throughout. also, the talking heads never change expression. Both of these issues make the game very relaxing, but don't make sense contextually. For a buck, puzzle and adventure fans can not go wrong here. Now i gotta go help baby Mozart do something puzzlingly challenging.

Last edited by Darkstar21; 05-08-2010 at 03:39 PM.

05-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks Dark, think I'll pick this up.

Sokaroka
Graal HQ - http://graal-ta.weebly.com/
(Very outdated, haven't played Graal in years, but still has some decent guides etc. if you wanna update it/take over feel free to PM me)
05-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks Darkstar21. I probably would have never given this a 2nd thought without your helpful input.
05-08-2010, 03:42 PM
This got tough quick, better take my ginseng.
05-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Love the cartoon art! The main character looks like she stepped out of anime movie. I visited the developer's website, got drawn in by the description (just the mention of Mozart and Archimedes sold me), and at $.99 I thought it was worth a plunge. And true enough, I was pleasantly surprised! It has all the elements of an adventure game: traveling to various locations, picking up objects and using them in a scene, talking to characters, solving puzzles, fulfilling objectives, and all that! The objects are a bit too tiny (like those miniscule scraps of paper!), but for an iPhone screen, that's understandable.

I got stuck pretty early though. I'm in the Workshop looking at a diagram of the catapult, and the objective is to improve the catapult's range. I have pliers and a candle, and can travel to the Workshop, Yard, Study, and Harbor, but can't do anything. HELP anyone?
05-08-2010, 10:36 PM
There is a spring either at the docks, or in the study, i can't remember. just cheack very carefully, it's there somewhere. I remember it being very small (model sized), it might have been part of something else actually, sorry, my memory sucks.

Last edited by Darkstar21; 05-08-2010 at 10:38 PM.
05-08-2010, 10:55 PM
How long is it?
05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
How long is it?
It depends greatly on skill. The first era in which you meet Archimedes has about 7-10 puzzle or hidden object scenes in 4 zones (backgrounds) . There is at least 1 more era of equal length (that's as far as I've gotten.). Of course there are dialogue and fact segments as well. Even if the game ends after Mozart, a buck is a very nice value for the content.
05-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar21 View Post
It depends greatly on skill. The first era in which you meet Archimedes has about 7-10 puzzle or hidden object scenes in 4 zones (backgrounds) . There is at least 1 more era of equal length (that's as far as I've gotten.). Of course there are dialogue and fact segments as well. Even if the game ends after Mozart, a buck is a very nice value for the content.
Thank you! I will pick it up!

Edit: very promising game! I just started and I am surprised! The pics don't do any justice to this game. I can't get into the house yet, but I just started playing so, back to the game....

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 05-09-2010 at 12:21 AM.