★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Thief: The 'Pod Project (Thiefty goodness on the iPhone)

05-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Thief: The 'Pod Project (Thiefty goodness on the iPhone)

Thief: The Dark Project

One of my fondest memories in gaming was back in '98 when I found the Thief TDP demo on the Eidos disc in my PC Gamer magazine. The first few moments into the game, experiencing the atmosphere and game play left a permanent mark on my psyche.
Because of my busy schedule, my gaming platform of choice here lately has been my iThing. After logging a few hours in Ravensword, I started feeling that familiar twinge I got the first time I played TDP. Playing the first dungeon quest in the game using first-person view is somehow reminiscent of Bafford's basement.

There is no reason why we can't produce a Thief-like game on the iPhone platform. From what I've seen, the Unity engine would easily give us a Thief TDP quality game on the iThings, or the native Dark Engine that runs Thief would easily run on the iPhone.

Is there anyone else on here who would like to see this old game reborn on the iphone OS?

Last edited by dww970; 05-08-2010 at 01:28 AM.
05-08-2010, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dww970 View Post
Thief: The Dark Project

One of my fondest memories in gaming was back in '98 when I found the Thief TDP demo on the Eidos disc in my PC Gamer magazine. The first few moments into the game, experiencing the atmosphere and game play left a permanent mark on my psyche.
Because of my busy schedule, my gaming platform of choice here lately has been my iThing. After logging a few hours in Ravensword, I started feeling that familiar twinge I got the first time I played TDP. Playing the first dungeon quest in the game using first-person view is somehow reminiscent of Bafford's basement.

There is no reason why we can't produce a Thief-like game on the iPhone platform. From what I've seen, the Unity engine would easily give us a Thief TDP quality game on the iThings, or the native Dark Engine that runs Thief would easily run on the iPhone.

Is there anyone else on here who would like to see this old game reborn on the iphone OS?

Me - I have to admit that the three Thief games were my favourite games back then. I finished every game with all loot on master level. I must have played every part nearly a dozen times.

Yes, I would like to see Garret on the iPhone.
More than anything else.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

05-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Thief would be my holy grail of iPhone/iPad games, the only games that would come close would be Half Life, or Morrowind.
05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Thief would be perfect for the iPad!
05-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Thief series is like the only medieval-themed stealth game ever, and one of my favourite PC games of all time. Guess the modern market is like against all medieval things or something, medieval FPS/stealth/RPGs are practically nonexistent.
Some Thief or Tenchu clone on the iPhone would be totally awesome, perhaps being the best game to ever come out for an iDevice. So far I don't think there are any stealth games at all. Oo
05-09-2010, 02:32 AM
I would pay a handsome amount to have Thief or Half Life on my iDevice
05-09-2010, 03:13 AM
I would love to see a port of Die By The Sword for the iPad. The touch controls should work great for controlling the swordplay!
05-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Half-Life....Thief....sighhhhh.....for iPhone....sighhhh.....
05-09-2010, 08:45 AM
I need to get round to finishing Thief. My computer's crap and crashes after like 30 mins of any game though, so I got sick of having to restart and wait for it to cool down before playing again. It'd be perfect on the iPhone though!
05-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo-259 View Post
I need to get round to finishing Thief. My computer's crap and crashes after like 30 mins of any game though, so I got sick of having to restart and wait for it to cool down before playing again. It'd be perfect on the iPhone though!

what type of computer are you running that Thief is giving it trouble?