★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: I have removed Moosentration Lite from the App Store ... here's why

02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I have removed Moosentration Lite from the App Store ... here's why

Hi everyone,

Today I made the final decision to pull Moosentration Lite from the App store. This was a free game that had an OK run since August, with approximately 67,000 downloads.

I'm pulling Moosentration Lite from the app store because I believe I was working against my own best interests in continuing to upgrade the game.

Of course the reason I distributed the game was to introduce people to the full version of the game. Sales of the full version were not spectacular by any means, but they were steady, and I've gotten lots of compliments from people who enjoy the game.

So back in December I thought I would try to increase sales of the full version by promoting the Lite version. So I did regular upgrades to both Moosentration Lite and Full versions. The download count of the Lite version went up, while the sales of the Full version declined quite steadily.

I think I know what happened! I gave away too much in the Lite version so that less and less people felt compelled to get the Full version, at least that's my theory.

So this is what I'm doing. I removed the Lite version from sale today. Everyone that has it has a pretty nice little game and I hope it brings them lots of fun.

In a few weeks I'm releasing a new "Moosentration Free", which is stripped back down to where it was in the beginning, more or less. Hopefully then people will see the value of upgrading.

So that's a lesson learned. I'm sharing this story just because I think you gamers out there like to hear occasional reports from "behind the lines" by game developers. It gives some insight into why we do things that might make no sense at all unless you know the whole story.

Your thoughts on my decision are most welcome.

Share and enjoy,

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.
02-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Send a message via MSN to Lukearcade22
I have never heard of the game

Could you post a link so i can see what it looks like

thanks

Games I am Playing: Aiko Island, World Mosaics, Mage Gauntlet, Puzzle Quest, Time Geeks, Roll In The Hole and Sunday Lawn

Game Center ID: Lukearcade22

02-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukearcade22 View Post
I have never heard of the game

Could you post a link so i can see what it looks like

thanks
Hi Luke,

An app store link to the Full version is right in my signature.

Here's a picture...

Christopher York
02-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ox View Post
So back in December I thought I would try to increase sales of the full version by promoting the Lite version. So I did regular upgrades to both Moosentration Lite and Full versions. The download count of the Lite version went up, while the sales of the Full version declined quite steadily.
Don't take this personally since I never played the Lite version, and I think I played the full version a long time ago.

But the other possibility is that people tried the lite version and didn't like it.

arn
02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
By the looks of it, it was one of your first games, am i right?

The moose sprite is basic and a game of concentration takes basic programming

if there was some kind of twist to the game so that it becomes more addictive, then that would be different...

but as far as i am concerned, i would rather buy Moxie then this!

Moxie is your newest creation, and by the preview, looks great and high quality

This however does look a bit rushed

Maybe start fresh with better sprites

or even ask people to help your company

maybe just redo the whole app

hope this helps

Games I am Playing: Aiko Island, World Mosaics, Mage Gauntlet, Puzzle Quest, Time Geeks, Roll In The Hole and Sunday Lawn

02-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Don't take this personally since I never played the Lite version, and I think I played the full version a long time ago.

But the other possibility is that people tried the lite version and didn't like it.

arn
Yes arn, that is possible. However I have lots of positive emails and quite a few 4 and 5 star reviews on the App Store. I think I submitted the game to Touch Arcade for review way back in August, but frankly it's an entirely different game since then. (9 different picture sets, 15+ different board layouts, graphics upgraded, version 3.17 now)

Also there was a sudden decline in sales of the full version when I added one particular feature upgrade to the Lite version. So it seems to me like there must be some correlation.

Granted matching games are not for everyone, and certainly matching games with moose have an even more limited audience. It's an acquired taste...however I have a huge pile of postcards from fans all over the world that people sent me when the original Windows version came out. Also the game was a featured pick on ZDNet's HotFiles.com back in the day. That tells me somebody like Moosentration.

EDIT: Also the full paid version has spent time in the Top 10 for educational and kids games, and a considerable amount of time in the Top 30 of said categories.

So honestly I thinks it's more of marketing issue.

Share and enjoy,

Christopher York

Last edited by blue ox; 02-19-2009 at 10:47 AM.
02-19-2009, 10:35 AM
i like moosentration a lot. first i played the lite version, and after a contest that i won (promo code) - moosentration full. i like your games a lot, super quadra is even better than moose.

but you know what? i would pay 2$ to have the first version of moosentration lite, one from 2008 september as i remember. graphics were better for me, more simple more nice (the previous one i mean)

i understand your decision, you probably just put too many thing into the lite version... but like arn said maybe some users didn't enjoy it. who knows.

now there is a good chance to start from the beginning.
so i wish you all the best!

Last edited by pante; 02-19-2009 at 10:48 AM.
02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukearcade22 View Post
By the looks of it, it was one of your first games, am i right?

The moose sprite is basic and a game of concentration takes basic programming

This however does look a bit rushed

Maybe start fresh with better sprites

hope this helps
With different graphics, it just wouldn't be Moosentration. The game has a history that goes back 10 years, and I'm trying to be true to that history.

If I upgrade it, it will be a different game, maybe "Moosentration 2".

Share and enjoy,

Christopher York
02-19-2009, 10:37 AM
If you think it's the best thing for you, then good luck... and I'm sorry I didn't download the lite version when I could, if it was that good
02-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Like i said, its all up to you

if you want my personal opinion, i would rather play the proper concentration with playing cards...

but because the game has a history, you are right it must follow that same game, so it would be best to leave it