★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pinch 'n Pop! now on the App Store

10-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Pinch 'n Pop! now on the App Store

Hi folks,

I've been enjoying Touch Arcade and lurking here in the forums for a while now and wanted to announce that my first game has just appeared on the App Store. It's a free-form color matching game that's designed for arcade/action fans (and definitely not a puzzle game). For more info please follow the links below:

Pinch 'n Pop! on the App Store
Pinch 'n Pop! Website
Gameplay Video (YouTube)

10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Love the graphics, very neat looking critters

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website

10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Looks absolutely fantastic and like a lot of fun. I'll put it on my shopping list for the next month.

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Frank do you have a lite version in the works? I suggest you make one. They can boost your sales.
10-14-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm having a hard time getting past the first level, no matter how fast I try to be.

10-14-2008, 12:07 PM
@ dudehuge
I've considered a lite version, but due to how the game progresses it's very difficult to come up with "lite" gameplay. There are no levels per se, you just keep leveling-up, and as far as I understand Apple does not allow time-limited apps or other common demo restrictions you might see on the desktop.

@ MattB
My testers also thought I was nuts at first but it becomes much easier with a little practice. Going fast is not the best approach, try to be accurate and deliberate. Make sure you've got a good fleshy bit of your fingers on the screen - the touch interface hates finger nails. When pinching them together you'll want keep your fingers on the glass as long as possible (resist the urge to pull up). Sometimes it helps to keep one finger stationary and just bring the other finger to it. As your technique improves you'll find you can just fling two squirms at each other and they'll combine/pop even if you lift your fingers early. Thanks for taking the plunge, and please feel free to contact me with any concerns.
10-14-2008, 12:38 PM
You're not going to drop the price to like $.99 tomorrow are you? That seems to be a trend lately with devs. I am thinking of buying this, though. it looks very well done.
10-14-2008, 12:52 PM
It looks like you put a whole lot of effort into this. The graphics look especially nice. I'm going to get it after work, and I'll let you know my thoughts about the game play shortly after. Thanks Frank.
10-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Frank: You could just limit the gameplay to say 10 levels, for example.

I'd prefer a Lite version as well.
10-14-2008, 01:56 PM
@ NotYou
Ha - no, I won't be dropping the price anytime soon. I'm just as frustrated and annoyed as anyone else with all the pricing crazyness. I even mentioned as much on my developer blog. This is still a big loophole Apple needs to fix IMHO. Permanent price drops after a certain time, or occasional pre-announced sales are fine, but I've seen apps go through 3 prices in 3 days, which is just silly, and an obvious attempt to get a bump from websites that track App Store changes.

@ different
But the game only goes to "level" 10 - you can see my dilema

I should stress this point: This is not a puzzle game with predefined levels. When you level up, the spawn rate increases and/or another color appears, and/or a new powerup appears. It takes some time (and a lot of skill) to hit level 10, and even more skill to hit that level with a decent score. The gameplay is continuous (and relentless) and designed to appeal to fans of skill-based/twitch arcade games. It may look all shiny and cuddly, but I assure you it's old-school - I wouldn't wish this game on Bejewelled playing grandmas for a second

The only way I can envision a lite version is to make a separate "Training Edition" of some sort. I will definitely put more thought into this, but I can't promise anything at this point.