★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Ripped off?

02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Ripped off?

Hey I just noticed this new app in the appstore '3DWorld For Free'
http://appshopper.com/entertainment/3dworld-for-free
This app is brought to us by 'collabtools' and is EXACTLY THE SAME as 3D world by 'NDMapple' which is 79c.
http://appshopper.com/entertainment/3dworld
The dev of 3DWorld for free says that the 3dworld app is a demo of unity and NDMapple are charging for it!! I know that there will be more features in the app by NDMapple but personally I feel a bit ripped off , at least until I see some good updates!!
What do you think?
02-19-2009, 04:06 PM
oo, so a dev is offering the same thing, but charging for one and having the other one be free? And the paid version will eventually have new features, but right now they're the same?

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss

02-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSoN L View Post
Hey I just noticed this new app in the appstore '3DWorld For Free'
[URL="http://appshopper.com/entertainment/3dworld-for-free"]
This app is brought to us by 'collabtools' and is EXACTLY THE SAME as 3D world by 'NDMapple' which is 79c.
[URL="http://appshopper.com/entertainment/3dworld"]
The dev of 3DWorld for free says that the 3dworld app is a demo of unity and NDMapple are charging for it!! I know that there will be more features in the app by NDMapple but personally I feel a bit ripped off , at least until I see some good updates!!
What do you think?
Same, really not worth 99 cents though. There isn't a point as realistic as the environments are

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
02-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
I don't really understand what you're saying?
He bought one app which was a demo of how "unity" works on the iphone and they charged him 99 cents. Today a new app came out with the same content and it's free.

some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
He bought one app which was a demo of how "unity" works on the iphone and they charged him 99 cents. Today a new app came out with the same content and it's free.
Oo, alright. Thanks for the clarification. I guess that's a little rough

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
Oo, alright. Thanks for the clarification. I guess that's a little rough
Yeah, shoulda never purchased the 99 cent one though Bad is bad.

some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
Same, really not worth 99 cents though. There isn't a point as realistic as the environments are
Yeah!! I know people say its only 99 cents but still for people to charge for a demo app they did not create is just cheeky! even if it will have updates.
Thanks for your support!
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSoN L View Post
Yeah!! I know people say its only 99 cents but still for people to charge for a demo app they did not create is just cheeky! even if it will have updates.
Thanks for your support!
We'll see about updates, It'd be cool if they made this into a good Fps.

some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
The only "demo" sort of thing that one should buy (and by that I mean not a demo of a game but a demo of a game engine, or glorified game engine demo) is, IMHO, the RIP and Ghost Buddy apps as those at least had gameplay. This "3D world" thing is just a Unity demo and no one should have ever charged for it, IMHO. You'd have known that had you looked through the forums before hand. I'm not blaming you, so don't take offense. Rather, I'm giving due respect to this site and this forum as a place to find info on games and apps for this platform. Coming here first allows one to at least guard oneself against rip offs like this.
Yeah it was just one of those apps that caught my eye and I was going back and forth on whether to buy it or not and then one boring day it was downloaded onto my iPhone!
02-19-2009, 04:42 PM
When I first read this thread, I felt like punching the creator of the original app straight in the throat, because now I am very conservative with the money that I spend on the app store, and I try my hardest to save every last penny. But then I actually played the free version. Compared to the .99 cent version, it is unpolished, it lags a lot, and it has ads in the middle of the game which certainly does ruin the whole experience of the game. The original 3d world may be a demo, but at least it doesn't run like a demo. It is fairly smooth, and the graphics rarely become choppy. And now that I think about it, it really wasn't that big of a loss, only 99 cents. Its not like it was a $10 game that is now free. And if the original developer keeps up with his promise and actually puts in guns and object in the upcoming update, that will actually make this game worth the dollar, maybe even more. But I would have to say for now, no one should by 3dworld until there is an update. And if you really want to explore a 3-dimensional world on the go, get 3dworld for free as of now, but then if the developer really does update 3dworld, I highly recommend that everyone should purchase it.