★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: PUPPET PALS by polished play (FREE!)

05-12-2010, 12:21 AM
PUPPET PALS by polished play (FREE!)

Basically, a very easy to use animation app that records both animations and audio in real time. It's free, so play around with it and let us know what you think.

We also have many planned feature updates to make it easier to share your animations and be more creative with them.

Last edited by Johannvonstranovic; 11-16-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: not going to be a universal app correction
05-12-2010, 03:37 AM
please make an iPhone version...

05-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocarina View Post
please make an iPhone version...
We are working on it. It will be a universal app.
05-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannvonstranovic View Post
We are working on it. It will be a universal app.
cool! good to hear that
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Fantastic

My wife works with children and this is her favourite app as it is so easy and quick to so something kids love.

We've already bought a few in app scenes. What are the plans to add more?
I see there's heaps of space for more scene listings, when can we expect them?

What are the chances that in a future update we would be able to upload our own backgrounds? We would love that..

It would be great if there was some way we could add more characters of our own, maybe the ability to import png, gif or something with transparency.

Another request is for props and it would probably be better if we could see more of the preview for in app purchases.. for example the Entertainers Pack screenshot doesn't exactly sell itself.

As you've said the ability to export the final movie is definitely a needed feature, I'm not sure if I've found a bug, once you select three scenes and made a play.. If you then go back and create a new one, it lets you select new characters but won't let you select any new scenes..
The old ones are still selected and I can't figure out how to change them. Quitting then restarting the app fixes this problem though so for now it's not a big deal.

Thanks
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Looks nice! And I'm happy to see that we've come a long way from the early AppStore, where any app that included a drawing of a politcal figure would end up being promprly rejected by Apple.
05-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheloniousMac View Post
My wife works with children and this is her favourite app as it is so easy and quick to so something kids love.

We've already bought a few in app scenes. What are the plans to add more?
I see there's heaps of space for more scene listings, when can we expect them?

What are the chances that in a future update we would be able to upload our own backgrounds? We would love that..

It would be great if there was some way we could add more characters of our own, maybe the ability to import png, gif or something with transparency.

Another request is for props and it would probably be better if we could see more of the preview for in app purchases.. for example the Entertainers Pack screenshot doesn't exactly sell itself.

As you've said the ability to export the final movie is definitely a needed feature, I'm not sure if I've found a bug, once you select three scenes and made a play.. If you then go back and create a new one, it lets you select new characters but won't let you select any new scenes..
The old ones are still selected and I can't figure out how to change them. Quitting then restarting the app fixes this problem though so for now it's not a big deal.

Thanks
I'm so glad you like it. I am as just as itchy to see what people are creating, as most seem to realize that the key factor missing is the ability to export and share videos. We are working on it but it is a bit tricky.

I strongly suggest just going ahead and buying the directors pass. It will become a better and better deal as we push out more content. There will be many content updates, and we should be able to push them out without having to go through the entire app approval process each time (cross fingers).

Using your own backdrops from your photo library should come fairly quickly in the first update. Cutting out your own pngs to use as actors and props is also in the plans for updates. Other plans further on include ideas like moving mouths and other animated effects.

We are aware of the bug. Sorry. In the meantime, you can use it as a fun exploit into making cloned characters.

We didn't intend for the app to be just for kids but it seems to be the vibe we are getting. We were thinking it could be a quick way to animate a jib jab© like cartoon. Maybe it seems kid friendly cause I (the designer) and Heber (the programmer) both have little 2 yr old daughters who love apps I take it as a huge compliment that little kids can quickly use a content creation animation app.
05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for that. If I buy the directors full pack will that include all future packs?
We're in Australia so have little to no interest in the politician or celebrity packs.

One more thing I would like to ask is the ability for the active actor to be brought to the front.. Not sure if that would be easy or not.. I see you can change the layer order when you first select the actors, but I would love it if the moving actor was brought to the front when selected.

Also congratulations on having the multi-touch fully working.. I've seen many apps which refuse to register a second hand on the screen. This way you can use two hands or two people controlling two actors at the same time, we haven't tried any more than that yet.. well done.

Is there a limit to how long you can record for?

thanks
05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes the directors pass will allow for all future content to be downloaded for free. This may not be clear in the app (sorry).

I like the option to have the active actor automatically come to the front. This could cause issues with the eventual render export option we want to explore (I mentioned it was tricky).

No time limit on recordings and you can use the max amount of touch inputs that the ipad allows (11).
05-14-2010, 11:46 AM