★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Why the hell can't devs finish their products BEFORE selling them?

02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Why the hell can't devs finish their products BEFORE selling them?

This new age of gaming devices being attached to the internet is wonderful. We can get games in the comfort of our homes instead of driving to a brick and mortar store. But the downside is that devs are shortchanging us.

It's rampant on games made for the Xbox 360, PS3, and now it's happened to the iphone, devs are constantly putting out games for sale when it's clear they haven't finished developing it yet. Back in the day when you had to put the whole game on a disc/ cartridge before shipping it off to the public you had to make sure there was an acceptable standard of feature set/ polish. Now? You can half-ass a game, and put it up for download, and finish it later.

Look at iDracula and Vector tanks, it's clear that these games were meant to be finished a lot later in 2009, yet they put out these games now to make cash in the meantime. Brightness controls coming in the future? Chillango putting out iDracula now and the "putting out a premium later with levels, options and a storyline? Can't anyone see that this is the game they intended to make, and decided to put up level 1 up for sale to see if they can make money in the meantime.

This is nothing like Call of Duty 4/ Halo 3 map packs, those are finished games with addons that come later, most of these game coming now are obviously unfinished and broken off to scuttle a buck.

This new age is ridiculous, imagine if Street Fighter 2 Turbo had shipped to stores with a bunch of bugs and only 3 characters at first with the promise to sell you the full 16 later AGAIN at a premium price? Or Super Mario Land W1-W3?

Last edited by arta; 02-19-2009 at 04:59 PM.
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
yep. i agree

except u cant generalize and say every dev does that

02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I buy games that I like. So if a dev releases a product for a price point that I don't like, I don't buy it. Some devs just test the market, and I can't really blame them for that because the app store is a new kind of marketplace. There is no supply limitation and demand shifts every day. I think it will settle eventually.

After writing this, I am not sure why I even posted
02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post

Look at iDracula and Vector tanks, it's clear that these games were meant to be finished a lot later in 2009, yet they put out these games now to make cash in the meantime. Brightness controls coming in the future? Chillango putting out iDracula now and the "putting out a premium later with levels, options and a storyline? Can't anyone see that this is the game they intended to make, and decided to put up level 1 up for sale to see if they can make money in the meantime.
Dude, for the love of God, learn how to read!! jaguard, the developer, said they were CONSIDERING making a premium version, based on the sales of this one. They put it out with only one level because of the demand, and why not let people play a finished game? (it is a finished game in its current state) And its 99 cents! That is so cheap, I can't even believe someone could complain....jeez
02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
What does one expect for one's 99 cents?

?

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.
02-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ox View Post
What does one expect for one's 99 cents?

?
Streetfighter 2 would definitely have been shorter and more buggy if it had been 99c.
02-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
This new age is ridiculous, imagine if Street Fighter 2 Turbo had shipped to stores with a bunch of bugs and only 3 characters at first with the promise to sell you the full 16 later AGAIN at a premium price? Or Super Mario Land W1-W3?
That's not exactly a great analogy. You only have to purchase an app once. All future updates are usually free.

iDracula is 0.99 (for now). That's not much to ask for (in fact, I would say that iDracula deserves to be much more). The devs want to spend as little as possible so that if the game's received poorly they're not out a lot of money.

Keep in mind that (so far) all updates to an app are usually free. So you're getting a cheap app (less than a price of a pack of gum) and it's highly likely that game will be added on and extended in the future. I don't know about you but that sounds like a great deal to me. This is unlike map packs to larger games where you have to spend 5 - 10 bucks to get a new collection of maps.
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
We live in an age where getting your idea, even if unfinished, out early is what matters.

By putting it out early, you get feedback before development is done. You receive ideas to add that you may not have come up with yourself and you get a pre-warning if the application is going to bomb. Most importantly, you will have a bigger following by releasing early, rather than if you release late and someone beats you to the punch.

The Internet is ever changing, ever evolving.

It used to be you put something out and that was it. It was nearly impossible to get updates out to people (what, are you going to ship them a new cartridge?!).

Now people can get the updates seamlessly, so pushing betas and early stages of applications out early is possible.

I'm not sure about the PS3 or 360, but I assume you mean downloadable content which is the same thing, just data stored in memory. Nothing physical that you can hold or bring back to the store. Nothing that had to be manufactured and shipped out across the world.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 02-19-2009 at 05:08 PM.
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Just chill out. Why did you feel the need to have "hell" in the title? A lot of devs finish their products before releasing them and then strive to make the game better and ask their buyers what they can improve on... You can't make such a sweeping generalization. Plus, Super Street Fighter is a much bigger product than anything in the app store. It has had countless hours poured into it and it knows it's basically guaranteed some profit. The same cannot be said for app store games...

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
However, one walks a thin line.

Introducing a polished product at a lower price point rewards early adopters who can add free input for future updates. When updated, the product can then be increased in price, as it has greater value. This affords early access of the product to a competitive market.

At the same time, many users, particularly those with PSPs, Xbox, etc expect a product to be complete when published the first time and may trash it in the iTunes store b/c of its inadequacies relative to their expectations. This poor rating may then kill the app dead in the water for some time, even when updates are forthcoming.

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."