★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Why do so many games not flip vertically?

02-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Why do so many games not flip vertically?

Quick question for the community...I have a 2nd Gen iPod touch, and I noticed that a lot of games are not oriented for that device and others are. I just recently bought Payback, iDracula, and Heavy Mach. All three of those are oriented uncomforably for the iPod (the headphone jack gets in the way of the left hand). Is there any way to change this? Why don't devs let you flip it?
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
It's an additional feature that doesn't come standard.

Developers have to implement it themselves and most will overlook it.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

02-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1975 View Post
Quick question for the community...I have a 2nd Gen iPod touch, and I noticed that a lot of games are not oriented for that device and others are. I just recently bought Payback, iDracula, and Heavy Mach. All three of those are oriented uncomforably for the iPod (the headphone jack gets in the way of the left hand). Is there any way to change this? Why don't devs let you flip it?
No there is no way to change it unless the dev puts it in. Most devs put in code that uses the accelerometer to flip the screen. However this approach means that the accelerometer is always on and drawing power.

about a year a go I sent a feature request to apple asking that they put a switch into settings that let you choose which landscape you wanted. Devs would create in landscape and the switch would let the system handle which way it was oriented.

Sadly they said it isn't possible =( It's up to the dev to figure it out.

I wouldn't mind have 80+ apps in my Settings menu if it meant that I would always be playing the exact way I want
02-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
I wouldn't mind have 80+ apps in my Settings menu if it meant that I would always be playing the exact way I want
I second that. I wish devs would pay attention to that. The headphone jack is so annoying when you are really focused on a game like Payback!
02-20-2009, 12:03 AM
It's odd, what is good for an iPhone is bad for a Touch, and when you fix it to work well on a Touch it then becomes a pain for iPhone users, so you really do need both directions.

I dunno how hard it is to sort out but it is a little shame that the earphone port can get in the way, but after a few games of iDracula i've become ok with the earphone wire sticking into my hand :P

3D modelling, design and sequential artist / GameCenter ID: Diab
02-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Apple will fix this problem maybe with the new versions of iPod Touches and iPhones come out. What I mean is that if they make a new iPhone, the'll put the headphone jack on the right.
02-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Sadly they said it isn't possible =( It's up to the dev to figure it out.
I'd guess most devs just don't consider this to be an issue, so contacting them directly and voicing your concern is your best bet.

The code required to support this sort of thing is fairly trivial. It took maybe an hour to sort out the details and implement manual and auto-orientation for my in-house game framework.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube