★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hell's Kitchen

02-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Hell's Kitchen

Has anyone tried Hell's Kitchen with Gordon Ramsay? (http://appshopper.com/games/hells-kitchen)
02-20-2009, 07:31 AM
It's apparently popular in Europe. To answer your question, no. I actually don't remember a North America release. There was a console game, though.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!

02-20-2009, 07:42 AM
I got it, it's actually quite enjoyable. It's a time management game in the vein of Diner Dash or Chocolate Shop Frenzy.

But they've neutered Gordon. It's just not the same when he's not going psycho and swearing...
02-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I've got it

It's not awful, very similar to the Nintendo DS version I think, which received rather luke warm (at best!) review scores. The game plays very much like Diner Dash, with a Gordon Ramsay makeover. Currently it's a bit slow to load and the animations between starting/ending a game are a bit jerky and awkward, generally feels like it needs some optimisation (at least on my 3G iPhone). It includes some recipes, but they're a bit hard to read (tiny blurry text and awkward scrolling).

Still, it is mildly amusing and at least it doesn't look like it was made for girls! (like most of the other Diner Dash clones). I'd probably say hold out for a price drop unless you're really into Gordon Ramsay...

n.b. there's no swearing in the game, which slightly dilutes the realism for me...
02-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiedeano View Post
Currently it's a bit slow to load and the animations between starting/ending a game are a bit jerky and awkward, generally feels like it needs some optimisation (at least on my 3G iPhone). It includes some recipes, but they're a bit hard to read (tiny blurry text and awkward scrolling).
So the update from Feb 3 hasn't fixed that?
Quote:
What's new

Easier to read text.
Performance improvements.
Minor bug fixes.
02-20-2009, 08:04 AM
I bought the game after the update and I dont notice any of that stuff as an issue.
This game is very well done for a diner dash type game. Lots of elements to balance.
It can get hectic quite fast.
I do wish He would tell me to 'F#*K off YOU G*&&AMN DONKEY"!
That would be the best update, Profanity Pack UPgrade!! BRING IT ON!

Check us out in the new book 500 Things to Eat Before its too Late by James Beard Lifetime Achievment Award Winners and Authors of the Roadfood column in Gourmet Magazine, Jane and Michael Stern. This is BIG people!!
Read About us in the SJ Mercury News
02-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Apple would laugh and say nope, too mature. Darnit Apple!

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
02-20-2009, 08:39 AM
I bought the game after the update, so I can't comment on what it was like before. The text generally is readable, I was just referring to the recipes, which aren't very well presented (doesn't effect gameplay). I've had it a few days and just got bored of constantly tapping to do every little thing, gameplay wise there isn't much variety, the ingredients you mix all look pretty much the same as do all the guests at the restaurant. The addition of different types of guest (and more varied ingredients in the kitchen)rather than just more of the same would have made it much more interesting. Chocolate Shop Frenzy for me was a much more entertaining/fun game.
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
My comments are in original thread. Try 60 min demo before taking plunge on pc/mac.
02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
it just went on sale for $3