★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Good book recommendations?

08-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Good book recommendations?

Besides gaming, my other hobby is reading. I really love a good book. My favorite author is the late Sir Terry Pratchett. I was really sad to hear of his passing from Alzheimer's disease. I've read over 40 of his novels and I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar author. I also like Neil Gaiman, Steven king (although not much of his recent stuff), H.P. Lovecraft, Tolkien, and I enjoy a classic once in a while. Fantasy is my favorite genre but I like supernatural horror fiction as well and I can read just about any well written book. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
08-06-2015, 05:26 PM
River of Stars and Under heaven by
Guy Gavriel Kay

gene wolfe torturer series

c s forester horatio hornblower books

The Aubrey–Maturin series Patrick O'Brien

Wool by Howey

The Martian by Andy Weir

I've currently doing The Sorcery! Trilogy by inkle
https://appsto.re/us/Tlu17.i

Last edited by klink; 08-06-2015 at 06:40 PM.

08-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon - the maddest, baddest book I have ever read. Almost to the point if I were a writer I think I'd give up as I can't imagine anyone writing anything better.
It takes a while to get going, mind.
08-06-2015, 05:51 PM
World War Z. Forget the awful movie, the book is one of the few I've ever read to actually give me chills.

If you like Tolkien you should read Silmarillion by him too.

You'll have to resort to digital versions if you can find them, but I HIGHLY recommend Harry Harrison's books - the Deathworld and Stainless Steel Rat series are still some of my favorites.

Then there's Simon R Green, especially the Hawk and Fisher and Secret History series.
(The first is a modern style "cop drama" except set in fantasy "medieval" times and with magic and far better than 80s cop shows. The second series is about a wealthy organization "policing" and defending our modern world against supernatural beings and invaders. Men In Black style-esque, but different and unique in its own rite.)

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik are more in the general fantasy style. Dragons and all that.

If you read and like those, feel free to reach out to me and I'll look through my collection more thoroughly. If we have similar tastes it would be helpful!

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at vladimirknight.com or via PM.
08-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. So many good books! Don't know why I've never heard of Harry Harrison but most of his books are free on kindle so I'll definantely give them a try. Wool looks interesting. I like dystopian/post apocalyptic stories. Against the Day looks like an Epic story and the Simon R Green books look really good. Now I just have to choose....
08-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Surprised Game of Thrones wasn't mentioned yet
08-07-2015, 04:59 AM
Read the free sample of Wool on Amazon, it's about a community that lives in a Silo many generations after an apocalypse, the only contact with the world being the cameras on the Silos surface.
08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by september View Post
Read the free sample of Wool on Amazon, it's about a community that lives in a Silo many generations after an apocalypse, the only contact with the world being the cameras on the Silos surface.
I read the Wool Omnibus Edition and it's quite good. It reads quickly and keeps you glued to it. Unfortunately I felt it lost a little steam at the end but that's not uncommon for a new writer. It's like he had a great idea but wasn't sure how to round out the whole story.

I got another meaty suggestion: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. It's different because it's seeped in Japanese culture.

Follow me at @bitgamereviews for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.
08-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Surprised Game of Thrones wasn't mentioned yet
I've considered reading it. I've never watched the show and I try to steer clear of articles with spoilers. It seems like anyone that talks about the show only talks about the controversial sex scenes and how the main characters are always dying. I'm guessing there's more to the books though.
08-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHess00 View Post
I've considered reading it. I've never watched the show and I try to steer clear of articles with spoilers. It seems like anyone that talks about the show only talks about the controversial sex scenes and how the main characters are always dying. I'm guessing there's more to the books though.
I've read them. I have mixed feeling about them. I enjoyed them but the story is very dark and the characters contain few redemptive qualities. Even more frustrating is wondering if R.R. Martin will ever actually finish the series.

Follow me at @bitgamereviews for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.