★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

IOS 10, should I update now, or wait?

10-20-2016, 12:31 AM
IOS 10, should I update now, or wait?

So, because the search function doesn't want to let me search, I'm curious just how good or bunged up iOS 10 is at the moment.

I have an iPad Mini 2, and this update is taking 1.1GB of space I could really use for something else, but if it's going to crash my toy, I'd rather pass on it.

Anyone help an old man?
10-20-2016, 01:07 PM
You can always delete the update from your device by going in the storage settings.

10-20-2016, 01:23 PM
I don't know about an iPad mini 2, but iOS 10 is great on my iPhone 6. I've had basically no issues.
10-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Unless you want to send stickers to somebody, why bother? Not sure iOS 10 has any killer features - apart from killing Game Center. Although others will know better. There might be a good reason.

For me, I'll wait till there is some must-have app or feature that requires iOS 10. I've already deleted the update twice - it does get a bit annoying that the prompt keeps popping up, but it takes less time to delete the update than to actually update.

2016 GOTY nominations (needs editing!): Crashlands, FFIX, Sky Force Reloaded, Lost Socks, Tennis Champs Returns, Teeny Titans, Human Resource Machine, Imbroglio, Retsnom, SteamWorld Heist
Comeback of the year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
10-20-2016, 11:57 PM
I'm at IOS 9.3.4. Never upgrading until Game Center is brought back with an app.
I can do without an endless running Super Mario Game. There is already an abundance of great Mario games on all of their platforms.

240,000+ Game Center Achievement points
Gamecenter ID: Donny K76
PSN ID: donnydj76
Let's go Yankees!
10-26-2016, 03:27 PM
The best thing about iOS 10 is how it makes note of your parking location automatically. That's saved me on a few occasions. However it could be better then it is. It should offer a compass view to lead you to your car.
10-26-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm usually pretty casual about updating to the latest iOS version, mostly because I get curious.
So I'm also on an iPad mini2, now running iOS 10.
So far, no noticeable issues. A couple of interesting little tweaks. Some minor adjustments. Really not a big deal to me either way.
One change I did immediately dislike, however, was that unlocking now uses the home button rather than swiping the screen. This is a tiny change, but as I'm sure is the case with many aging devices that see a lot of use, I worry about the longevity of my home button. I double-tap to kill apps all the time, so the thing gets a lot of use already. Still, not a big deal.
Game center is a big deal to some, but since it's still integrated into games I don't really miss the standalone app.
Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.