★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Come with me to Monster Dice Theatre, come up to the booth and watch your step

SPLAT! You just got hit with a tomato thrown by that monster! Here, take these dice on the counter and throw them back at it.

WHACK! Good work! You knocked it down. But wait, another is popping up, and another! Throw your dice or they'll splat you again!

The Dysemonsterus family inhabit the Monster Dice Theatre and it is up to you to knock them out. Throw dice, tap power-ups, and wipe off tomato splats to get the highest score!

Features:

Cute, tomato-throwing monsters with different personalities!

Dice-throwing action with the flick of your finger!

Extra unlockable game modes for more fun!

OpenFeint achievements and leaderboards so you can keep connected with your friends!

Win Dysemonsterus plushie prizes in the game!

Did we mention sticky, messy, and LOUD tomato splats?

goiMot's comments:

05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for posting this, goiMot, much appreciated!

Monster Dice Theatre, dice-throwing kiddie fun! Get it from the App Store
Tap-Fu, everyone loves Tap-Fu fighting! Get it from the App Store
7 Cities Tower Defense - Get it from the App Store

05-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I really dig the art style, I am tempted to give the game a shot even though I already have tons of other stuff I still need to play through.
05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Game Impressions

I snagged it and can confirms it is some cute and original pick-up and play fun. Sort of a shooting gallery where as opposed to a gun or even baseballs, you're flinging dice to knock the targets down. Why dice? It adds a cute extra mechanic to the game as the die does damage to the gremlin's state hit points equivalent to the value shown on the die before it was flung. So while on the surface that just means the higher value showing the better, there is a bit of a bonus involved for hitting a guy with precisely the dice needed to bring his health down to exactly 0. The game also has a clever balancing mechanic of precision vs. speed. To make the big points you need to make as many hits in a row as possible without a miss, but if you were to take too much time setting up these shots (either to ensure a hit or trying to ensure you hit a baddy with just the right die) you'll be screwed by being plastered by tomatoes (three splats on the screen at one time ends the game). So you'll need to be BOTH quick and accurate at the same time. The game also has a cute power-up system as well. Every so often one of the faces below the stage will light up and if you tap it quick enough (before going out again) you will gain that specific face's power-up for a short period of time (double damage, slower moving targets, a tomato shield, etc.). I've described the game's main mode there are at least two additional modes the player can later unlock with the one extra I've unlocked so far entitled..."Crazy Random" (can a mode have a cooler name for me?) in which you can only pelt the targeted color at that moment and any guys hit not of the moment's target color will count as a strike...and you can guess what happens once you get three strikes.

Good Fun 4.5/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I snagged it and can confirms it is some cute and original pick-up and play fun. Sort of a shooting gallery where as opposed to a gun or even baseballs, you're flinging dice to knock the targets down. Why dice? It adds a cute extra mechanic to the game as the die does damage to the gremlin's state hit points equivalent to the value shown on the die before it was flung. So while on the surface that just means the higher value showing the better, there is a bit of a bonus involved for hitting a guy with precisely the dice needed to bring his health down to exactly 0. The game also has a clever balancing mechanic of precision vs. speed. To make the big points you need to make as many hits in a row as possible without a miss, but if you were to take too much time setting up these shots (either to ensure a hit or trying to ensure you hit a baddy with just the right die) you'll be screwed by being plastered by tomatoes (three splats on the screen at one time ends the game). So you'll need to be BOTH quick and accurate at the same time. The game also has a cute power-up system as well. Every so often one of the faces below the stage will light up and if you tap it quick enough (before going out again) you will gain that specific face's power-up for a short period of time (double damage, slower moving targets, a tomato shield, etc.). I've described the game's main mode there are at least two additional modes the player can later unlock with the one extra I've unlocked so far entitled..."Crazy Random" (can a mode have a cooler name for me?) in which you can only pelt the targeted color at that moment and any guys hit not of the moment's target color will count as a strike...and you can guess what happens once you get three strikes.

Good Fun 4.5/5
Great, thanks for your impressions LordGek. You answered some questions I was hoping to have answered before taking the plunge. Guess I'll be picking this up when I'm off work later tonight.
05-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucifer View Post
Great, thanks for your impressions LordGek. You answered some questions I was hoping to have answered before taking the plunge. Guess I'll be picking this up when I'm off work later tonight.
It's a lot easier to take the plunge when you know the pedigree of the developer, and these guys have definitely delivered in the past.

My iTunes Reviews
05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
I have to say that I am quite disappointed by the devs.

When TapFu came out, they promised here on TA forums that there wouldn't be a sale in the following months. A few days later, the game was on sale.
Then, the devs promised to add a second chapter to TapFu as it only got a single one - which is really very short. Of course, this never happened either.

I am sick of developers that promise all kind of stuff when their games are released and never live up to their word. So, I will definately skip on Monster Dice Theatre as I don't want to support the devs.
05-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHerm View Post

When TapFu came out, they promised here on TA forums that there wouldn't be a sale in the following months. A few days later, the game was on sale.
Then, the devs promised to add a second chapter to TapFu as it only got a single one - which is really very short. Of course, this never happened either.

I am sick of developers that promise all kind of stuff when their games are released and never live up to their word. So, I will definately skip on Monster Dice Theatre as I don't want to support the devs.
Maybe you just need to add in "Sales Permitting" to any statement a dev makes. If a game isn't making decent sales, as nice as a little follow-up work would be nifty for the current owners, it won't do diddly in creating new sales. You have the right to DEMAND all blatant bugs are resolved but additional content is one of those trickier lines, IMHO. Now look at their game 7 Cities where they provided much more than simply bug fixes since it sold well enough to support their followed efforts.

As far as sales/prices go, I'm willing to bet the guy posting here meant it when he said it, but, again, things change and clearly they had to shift gears.

My iTunes Reviews
05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Maybe you just need to add in "Sales Permitting" to any statement a dev makes. If a game isn't making decent sales, as nice as a little follow-up work would be nifty for the current owners, it won't do diddly in creating new sales. You have the right to DEMAND all blatant bugs are resolved but additional content is one of those trickier lines, IMHO. Now look at their game 7 Cities where they provided much more than simply bug fixes since it sold well enough to support their followed efforts.

As far as sales/prices go, I'm willing to bet the guy posting here meant it when he said it, but, again, things change and clearly they had to shift gears.
don't get me wrong. I think a dev has every right to make a sale anytime they want - even hours after the release. But stating several times to potential customers that there won't be a sale in the near future and then doing a sale anyway is odd...
same with the content. I think if the dev says that the current state of a game is everything to expect, then everyone can make up one's mind if this is enough to buy it. But posting on forums to (potential) customers that there will be "definately" more content (in the case of TapFu the pirate chapter) and never deliver it, is odd again...

The devs should simply not promise things that they cannot (or are not willing to) live up to... and in the case of TapFu, there were several of these questionable tactics by devs. That is why I will not support them anymore by buying their games. Of couse, that is a personal decision.
05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:

Good Fun 4.5/5
Thank you very much for this wonderful review, LordGek! You touched upon many of the features and goals I was trying to achieve with Monster Dice Theatre. There are a few more game mechanics that you haven't listed but I'll allow you and others the pleasure of discovering while playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHerm View Post

You are entitled to your opinion, I'll say that up front.

I just wanted to say that we learned many lessons with Tap-Fu, which I won't specify. We haven't forgotten about Chapter 2 either, that's all I can say about it.

Another thing, Monster Dice Theatre is my creation, as stated in the copyright. Knight/Neptune Interactive merely published the game for me, that's all. I took the lessons we learned as I said above and applied it to Monster Dice Theatre and current/future projects. If you still have issues please PM either me or Knight.

Monster Dice Theatre, dice-throwing kiddie fun! Get it from the App Store
Tap-Fu, everyone loves Tap-Fu fighting! Get it from the App Store
7 Cities Tower Defense - Get it from the App Store