★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: iOccam
  • Genre: Sports
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 83.0 MB
  • Version: 3.7
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (2)
App description: Draw your bow, take aim and release your inner Robin Hood in the most immersive archery experience.

Glide your fingers across the touchscreen just as you would control a real bow and arrow with your hands.

--------

"it's nice to experience first-hand how to aim and fire a bow thanks to Bowmaster" - Appspy.com

Its a clever control system and one that produces a fantastically enjoyable game...Graphics are also some of the best I've seen on the iPhone, with a fully immersive 3D environment. - Appstorm.net

...the shooting mechanism is remarkably smooth... If youve ever dreamed about being Robin Hood, then Bowmaster is definitely worth a look. Appsafari.com

"Bowmaster has got it in it to become an App classic." BZ-Berlin

"...all of the mechanics of the archery are very natural and fluid ... You will love how detailed the scenery is and how your 3D bow and arrow whiz through the air to hit far away targets" Smartphoneapps.com

"The controls for Bowmaster could not be more impressive." - Appsmile.com

"Bowmaster brings together elements that make a stunning and addictive iPhone game with beautiful execution." - Pocketfullofapps.com
--------

Assume the role of a bowman who aspires to join the Merry Five and become their new leader, the Bowmaster. Achieve this by challenging each member in a one-on-one archery contest where skill and determination are key to overcoming each of the opponent's unique strengths.

Aim high and strike true to better other bowmen's online scores and become the worldwide Bowmaster!

Visit http://www.chromegekko.com/cg_apps.htm for an ingame video!

- natural archery mechanics
- supports Retina display
- immersive 3D scenery and sounds
- 5 unique and challenging levels
- three additional unlockable bonus levels
- OpenFeint and GameCenter online scoring system
- SIO2 3D graphics engine
- tournament for up to four players on the same device
05-18-2010, 05:45 AM
OK, my impressions of Bowmaster are:

Pros-

*I had nothing to really go on, but after I hit the "buy now" I thought "Man, these screenshots look pretty rough. Actual in-game graphics are very nice and atmospheric.
*Absolutely smooth gameplay, responsive and intuitive control method and the music feels very much like you are in Sherwood Forest during a reenactment of Robin's fantastical debauchery.
*My general preference of games on the iDevice are fairly quick and addictive, leaderboard based, arcade style games. This game is a perfect match, for me. There is Agon Online integration.

Cons:

*Gameplay is only in portrait. (Not a big prob, for me)
*No option to mute the music but leave the effects on. (again, not a biggie, just a personal way I like playing)

I know those two cons seem really picky, and purposly so. If not I'd have no cons. I haven't completed the game yet, but I'm sure that some will find five levels to be short, but they are varied and fairly lengthy, for a target shooting game, and besides global leaderboards give games like this a high replay incentive.

I left a five star review on iTunes; I mean Its an unhyped/unmarketed indie game. It's got innovative and fun controls, you can tell the devs took pride in creating this game. Also it's a dollar.

I hope the developers stumble across TA (I mention it in my AppStore review), as I'm curious to find out if the dev plans, if any, for updates.

This game, to me is a bargain, and where I thought I was TOFTTing, I guess I was SOFTTing, you know securing one for the team.

My impressions are based on playing on a 3GS

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

Last edited by rich_952000; 05-18-2010 at 06:06 AM.

05-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the write-up Rich, going to pick this up.
05-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Thanks for the write-up Rich, going to pick this up.
I'm a big fan of the type of game this is and these guys got just the right blend of elements to offer me some really fun ( and later levels; challenging) gaming. There are some extra options that some, myself included, might want, but for the most part what I've noticed were my two cons above and I'd add that I didn't see an option to invert the y-axis of the accl. controls.

Oh, and Gabrien, keep an eye out for foxes.

I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
05-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the impressions and recomendation Rich great little game
05-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Thanks for the impressions and recomendation Rich great little game
I just like to help spread the word on good, independantly developed, games. I sent the developer a note w/ a link to this thread. The devs German and I'm not sure if English is a secondary language.

05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, Rich,I appreciate your angle as well! I also agree the screenshots don't do the game justice. I'm having a good time with it so far and I also wish it was in landscape form. You pretty much said it all, bud. I'd say buy this one!
05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Game Impressions

I was intrigued by the screenshots to this game when I first saw them, as I'm generally interested in game which make good/innovative use of the touch screen. The screenshots placed an impression in my mind of how the game would play and I thought, great! I can see how this could really work.

My next thought though, was what are the chances it will actually play as well as I imagine it? That the frame rate would be smooth, the touch controls would actually feel like I was pulling back a bow, the aiming would be precise and intuitive?

Well, the reality as it turns out, is that this this game did not match the impression I had in my mind. It has, in fact, exceeded it. Every single aspect of this game screams polish and attention to detail. It's simply a joy to play. I can't recommend it highly enough.
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I was intrigued by the screenshots to this game when I first saw them, as I'm generally interested in game which make good/innovative use of the touch screen. The screenshots placed an impression in my mind of how the game would play and I thought, great! I can see how this could really work.

My next thought though, was what are the chances it will actually play as well as I imagine it? That the frame rate would be smooth, the touch controls would actually feel like I was pulling back a bow, the aiming would be precise and intuitive?

Well, the reality as it turns out, is that this this game did not match the impression I had in my mind. It has, in fact, exceeded it. Every single aspect of this game screams polish and attention to detail. It's simply a joy to play. I can't recommend it highly enough.
You had me cliffhanging, I thought you were about to say it wasn't that good, I didn't want to get yelled at for a bad recommendation

Btw, I got a response from the developers thanking me for my feedback and assuring me that they are looking at ways to add to Bowmaster. So, they are appearently open to suggestions/feedback.

Last edited by rich_952000; 05-18-2010 at 04:23 PM.
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
You had me cliffhanging, I thought you were about to say it wasn't that good, I didn't want to get yelled at for a bad recommendation

Btw, I got a response from the developers thanking me for my feedback and assuring me that they are looking at ways to add to Bowmaster. So, they are appearently open to suggestions/feedback.
On the contrary, I definitely owe you one. I was very close to trying this out when I first saw it, but chances are wouldn't have without a little push in this instance. Your post was more like an avalanche.

I'd definitely rate this game in my top five "pleasant surprises" on the app store.

Can't even really think if any improvements I'd like to see. Landscape mode might be nice? But no biggie. Everything pretty much just feels spot on.