★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Gameloft
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 110.2 MB
  • Version: 1.0.0
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: The mythic, award-winning action game is now on your iPad: its wide screen will provide you with even more colossal action!
** Acclaimed by iPhone players and the press **
"Great gameplay, innovative controls, high replay value, fun! (SlideToPlay, 4/4)
"A thrilling action game loaded with cinematic flair (IGN, 9/10, Action Game of the Year).

You are King Argos, a Spartan hero whos unafraid of defying the gods themselves. Take up the maddest challenge in this colossal odyssey in full 3D! Let this epic action game take you from the depths of the Underworld to the summit of Olympus: be prepared for hours of gaming and visual enjoyment.

iPAD EXCLUSIVE CONTROLS
- Repositionable interface & additional weapon icon to switch weapons faster.
- Improved "focus kill" controls for the most thrilling fights on the device.

PLUNGE INTO THE HEART OF ACTION
- iPad-specific controls: move your hero with the virtual analog stick and unleash his power by performing touch screen combos.
- Total 360 experience: move and fight freely in 3D through the 8 levels and their majestic environments.

TAKE UP THE MADDEST CHALLENGE
Face legions of enemies and the most phenomenal mythical creatures: Cerberus, the Cyclops and other foes worthy of your strength!

MYTHIC GEAR
5 weapons to upgrade and fabulous items to collect. Draw your faithful sword, axe, bow, or twin blades!

It's your chance to write your own legend... if you can survive this mythic adventure.

------------------------------------------
Follow Hero of Sparta on Twitter and be the first to know about exclusive news and updates, competitions, gifts, and more! http://twitter.com/HeroofSparta
Also available from Gameloft on the iPad: Asphalt 5, Real Soccer 2010, Modern Combat: Sandstorm, NFL 2010, Dungeon Hunter, Let's Golf, UNO and N.O.V.A. - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance!

Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.

salsamd's comments:

Jump to 3:54
05-18-2010, 07:44 PM
upscaled but not updated

I have the original hero of sparta for my 3rd gen touch and decided to purchase this the moment I saw it. not the best idea....

PROS- very cleaned up and vibrent graphics that bring a fresh coat of paint to a classic iphone title.

- controls feel ever so slightly improved over the originals somewhat watery response time

CONS- the raw content of this title really shows its age and it does not flow with todays generation of iphone quality.

- I feel as if I have just booted up a low budget PS2 game in my (bc) PS3. sure the graphics have been upscaled but it doesnt negate the fact that the core game is borken.

- nothing seems to have been done to fix this games flaws of yesteryear. the framerate is stutery at best, certain background artwork has been upscaled but not replaced with a high res version and looks like a lazy N64 photoshop job.

I have invested in a new expensive apple product and gameloft seems to be just handing me prettyer versions of outdated software.

I would think that the main titles that put them on the iphone map would garner more respect by their creators than this.

instead we are shoveld a quick upscaled milking before the sequal is lawnched.

for 6.99 you are going to have to do more than just upscale a portion of the graphics and allow me to move the analog stick around gameloft! You need to use the new hardware and bring the rest of the game into the current generation.

pass on this upscaled incomplete version unless it goes on sale for maybe 2.99

shows too much of its age when hd'd and doesnt stand up at all to gamelofts current offerings.

such a shame.

05-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beldandy561 View Post
I would think that the main titles that put them on the iphone map would garner more respect by their creators than this.

instead we are shoveld a quick upscaled milking...

...pass on this upscaled incomplete version unless it goes on sale...

such a shame.

Just like every other iPad Gameloft game.
05-18-2010, 08:08 PM
The frame rate is really bad on my iPad. I really wish it was a bit more polished. On a bigger screen, jittery framerate is easier to see on the pad and makes controlling the character harder. It will make me wait for Sparta 2 reviews before jumping in. It would have also been nice if Gameloft had added achievements.
05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
for reference

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
05-19-2010, 05:16 AM
What a shame

I deleted the old version to squeeze this HD slop on. What a mistake. It's worse than the first version. I was really hoping for a version of sparta, where the heroes cape didn't go inside him anymore.. Instead, the only improvement is less pixels, and a side order of lag... I will be much more careful in the future, when considering a game loft purchase

Where ever you go, there you are...
----------------------------------------
You had me at universal...
ipad2 & iPhone 5
05-19-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegoben View Post
I deleted the old version to squeeze this HD slop on. What a mistake. It's worse than the first version. I was really hoping for a version of sparta, where the heroes cape didn't go inside him anymore.. Instead, the only improvement is less pixels, and a side order of lag... I will be much more careful in the future, when considering a game loft purchase
Yes, all gameloft's HD versions are simplest ports, and also they never update their games.
05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Hmm... I think God of War copied this game. Gameloft should sue.
05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I think it is ok but not nearly as good as Dungeon Hunter. I am seeing these games for the first time on the iPad though I did play the free iPhone versions on the iPad first. There is no doubt in my mind that on the iPad the HD versions look better. That said, I too was hoping for more eye candy from the HD version.

-Greg
05-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Well i dont disagree with all u people out here with regards to the very poor quality of the existing gameloft HD titles...
But IMO gameloft is the only hope for awesome ipad games in d near future...bcz they have really been the ones to start the so called advanced gaming revolution on the iphone....!!
I think HOS2 and prince of persia for the ipad are going to be really amazing titles....!!!

Shashwat