★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pocket God 1.32 - Crack is Wack

05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Pocket God 1.32 - Crack is Wack

Youtube link | Pop Up

We'll have to do another Whitney Houston tribute called "Kiss my Ass" (look it up on YouTube).

So, I guess I ran out of excuses, another update that took a long time. The only thing I can say is that we are super busy. It's pretty exciting but also pretty stressful because there are so many things happening at the same time. The Comic Book is coming along really well and should be in iVerseís hands next week, not sure how long it will take them to make it available but it should be available by the end of this month or early June by the latest. It should be available online through iVerse's web site and iPhone app, a standalone iPhone and iPad app, and I think a few other platforms as well. We will also be working on an update that will come out at the same time (hopefully we can get it done on time). There are also three other projects that are in development with other teams that we can't announce yet. One announcement will probably happen during WWDC and the others will be announced a little later. BTW, when projects like the comic book come out, please help us get the word out, the more successful these projects become, the easier it is for us to convince a publisher into doing a real console game (and we have some really awesome ideas for the DS and Wii). The one thing we will never do, is launch the exact same game on different platforms, I think itís pretty cheezy when a company, especially a company with money and resources, releases the exact same game everywhere. We want all our games to complement each other.

As far as this update goes, I think it's the most polished game that we released so far. The update is called Crack is Wack because you have the new god power of drawing cracks on the ground. When a crack goes under a Pygmy, a large crack opens up and swallows them. You can either play with the cracks nonstop or use it to enter game mode when a Pygmy falls in. Down below is a Lava Tube that contains a Canabalt-like mini-game. This isnít an official cross-over but we really like Canabalt so we thought we would do a little tribute. In the tunnel, the Pygmy needs to run and jump from platform to platform, some platforms crumble and sink, other platforms have stalactites that come crashing down. In your path are patches of Bat Poo that slow you down if you run into them (he skids and makes a funny face at the camera when this happens). The environment is pretty cool, just like Canabalt, we have some interesting things going on in the background. There is a Demon that sort of pops up periodically and follows you from the distance, as well as a cool multilayer scrolling effect that makes the scene look semi 3d. The Demon is kind of a tribute to Ronnie James Dio. Both Allan and I are big fans of his and planned on adding a demon from one of his videos to the update. It was purely coincidental that he died about 3 days after I actually added it. I only wish I could get the same effect by adding Justin Bieber to the game.

We added an Ice Monster Skin Pack to the update. This was actually pretty hard for Allan because the Ice Monster has a lot of animation and itís hard to do interesting looking skins and have the animations all work properly. We have a couple of robots, one Voltron looking one and one hipster kid robot style one. There is a Bear, a Pink Bunny, and a Yeti that throws poo (the snow balls are also skinnable). Then there is an evil snowman and a stone Aztec Monster.

Not much to report technically, I found a new optimization that I was able to use to speed up The Runs. I didn't have time to apply it to the rest of the game but I'm hoping to finish it with our next update. The code is just getting really huge and with each update, it gets harder and harder to add new features without screwing up performance but we are trying to be as careful as we can.

We are going to try really hard to get the next update out in two weeks so it will come out at the same time as the comic book. It's a tribute to Ape Entertainment that is making the comic book for us. It will include the new Ape Island and will probably be a trilogy.

Here is an exclusive sample from the Comic Book.

05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
This looks awesome!
Im excited to play Pocket God again!!

05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
This sounds awesome I cant wait to play it. I like how you are not doing copies of your app to other things. It really show how talented you and Allan are together
Im eating my words but I think this is going to be a good minigame update
I wish that justin bieber thing would happen too.
I will definitely buy all three comics.
The icon is nice but whats up with the weird brown dots on his face
I hope you guys get things going again but hey I don't mind the wait
all the updates burnt me out on pocket god

Holy Diver
You've been down too long in the midnight sea
Oh what's becoming of me

Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean
Oh don't you see what I mean

Wait
Who actually knows who Dio is?

I wish I was the Doctor and had a TARDIS and one those Sonic screwdrivers

Last edited by oldskooler81; 05-18-2010 at 08:47 PM.
05-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Sounds fun.

There should be a skin pack where it is all 8-bit retro style. That would be really fun

Any crossovers coming? I would love to see a furry from Minigore or The Creeps! nightmare or something- Timo was in one of the PG threads if I recall, he added some nice pictures of the pygmies or something. Minigore and PG would be fun.

Top 5 Apps Dead Space. World of Goo. AC II: Discovery. Plants vs Zombies 1 and 2.
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5duc29 View Post
Sounds fun.

There should be a skin pack where it is all 8-bit retro style. That would be really fun

Any crossovers coming? I would love to see a furry from Minigore or The Creeps! nightmare or something- Timo was in one of the PG threads if I recall, he added some nice pictures of the pygmies or something. Minigore and PG would be fun.
Actually, we were just talking about that but we are worried that 8 bit might not look that great next to everything else. and we could only do some things as 8 bit.
05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskooler81 View Post

Holy Diver
You've been down too long in the midnight sea
Oh what's becoming of me

Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean
Oh don't you see what I mean

Wait
Who actually knows who Dio is?
I actually like the Killswitch Engage version of that song better. Update sounds good, and the Justin Bieber comment was pretty funny

Gamecenter: Will090
05-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
Actually, we were just talking about that but we are worried that 8 bit might not look that great next to everything else. and we could only do some things as 8 bit.
That would be amazing. Maybe the sand island background and the coconut tree could be the retro style. The pygmies would be stuck in a retro world..

Anything works for me. I like it all.

Top 5 Apps Dead Space. World of Goo. AC II: Discovery. Plants vs Zombies 1 and 2.
05-18-2010, 09:00 PM
it would be like the SUper mario bros. level 1-1 stuff.
but i think it would be cool if you could add the Doodle jump guy in somehow?
cuz they added one of yours guys in their game xD he got me my highscore!!!
05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
He is! Drag ur Pygmy in a cloud and if u reach around 1000 u can see the doodler!
05-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Dio was my era...

Ape Island, huh?... Interesting...