★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Celsius Game Studios Presents: Red Nova

05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Celsius Game Studios Presents: Red Nova

September Development Update Video

Red Nova is going into beta shortly so I wanted to share some new video of the game, including a peak at some of the features that the game is going to have:

I've been working feverishly for the last few weeks on CGS' new game, and I'm finally happy enough with how it looks to post a screenshot

So without further ado, I give you a teeny tiny glimpse of Red Nova!

What I can tell you about the game so far:
  • Red Nova is going to be an inertia-based sci-fi shoot em up (think Asteroids on crack)
  • No sprites here. It has true 3D graphics with 2D gameplay, with 30+ FPS on the iPhone 3G/2nd Gen iPod Touch, even with dozens of enemies on screen
  • Multiple enemy types (How many? I'll be releasing info on them right here in due time!)
  • The first game-mode will be a survival mode where you must destroy as many enemy ships as possible while staying alive
  • Hopefully there will be more than one game mode at launch! (I plan on adding lots of free updates too so you get the most for your money)

Anyway, hopefully that's enough to whet your appetites for now. I'm still tweaking the HUD and weapons, but maybe by the weekend I'll have a tasty tasty video so you can see Red Nova in motion!

Edit (May 25th, 2010): Preview Video!

Edit (May 30th, 2010): Missiles!

Edit (July 22nd, 2010): FX-30 Kusanagi Multi-Role Space Attack Vehicle:

Also: The Phaeton Spaceflight Systems FX-28 Excalibur Space Superiority Fighter

Last edited by CGSColin; 09-16-2010 at 11:47 AM.
05-19-2010, 09:10 PM
looks okay from current screen, will be waiting for the vid

(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ

05-19-2010, 10:40 PM
cool looking teaser shot, looking forward to seeing more

Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
05-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Here's another screenshot showing how things are progressing:

As you can see, there is a heads up display now including gauges and a radar (the arrows at the edge of the screen). Also, I've gone and fancied up the engine effects a smidge.
05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Put up a little webpage for Red Nova earlier, complete with logo (let me know what you think!).

05-21-2010, 10:39 PM
05-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Looks like a more combat-oriented Warpgate. Looking good so far but definitely needs graphical polish (obviously), but I would assume it's pretty early in development.
05-21-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm aiming for a bit of a mix, gameplay wise, between classic shooters like R-Type/Ikaruga, inertia based games like Asteroids and survival shooters like Minigore.

And yes, it's still pretty early as far as the graphics are concerned, but I'm working quickly on making the game look great. The enemies in these screenshots are just placeholders while I tweak the gameplay and add features. The real enemy units are all pretty much designed, I just need time to model and texture them.

Also I feel the game looks better in motion, so once I get that video posted it should be pretty awesome
05-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Everyone loves the circus, am I right?

(Also, I really need to work on some better looking enemy units )
05-23-2010, 11:27 AM
wait a minute... this isn't a dual stick shooter is it?

Beta tester of 54 games
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.