★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Isometric RPG game?

05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
#1
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Isometric RPG game?

I'm working on my next game for the AppStore, and I would like your feedback here if you would be so kind to provide it. Would you be interested enough to buy an isometric RPG game, in the style of games like Diablo and Fallout 1&2? Just wondering if this type of game would be of the liking of iphone/ipad gamers. No big flashy gfx, but the combat would be real-time, I'm not too certain turn-based combat would fare well. It would include dialog, inventory items, quests, and of course mini-games involving the typical lock-picking and bartering, and such. I'm also considering releasing a lite version for it too. I dont know if it would be good for this type of game or not.

Anyways, all comments welcomed.

Strife: Quest for the Sigil - FPS/RPG blend of action!
05-20-2010, 06:45 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
Not a big fan of real time combat. much prefer Final Fantasy Tactics like approach, eg. Rebirth of Fortune but with a bit more flesh.

A bit too many action RPG / real time games on the Appstore now..

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.

05-20-2010, 07:31 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Hmm, ok, so you would say turn-based combat would be more appropiate right now for the AppStore?

Strife: Quest for the Sigil - FPS/RPG blend of action!
05-20-2010, 08:00 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Where the Grass is Green and the Girls are Pretty
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
Hmm, ok, so you would say turn-based combat would be more appropiate right now for the AppStore?
Turn Based would probably be easier to implement, and go over well with the critics. I personally prefer Real-Time combat, but if you're going to need to figure out a way to make it more engaging than just button mashing. If you could find a way to make it strategic or interesting, I could see it working very well

Gamecenter: Will090
05-20-2010, 08:23 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 354
Yeah, in light of all the J/KRPG's coming out, it would be nice to see something new. I kinda recall that guy who made RPG Snake was also thinking about doing the same thing. His is an isometric doodle style one... so quite interesting to see what happens there. I'd say move away from JRPG styles and either do something classic or something new. Maybe you can do a doodle RPG. A solid one.

I'd go with a doodle "cut-out" art style of Inkvaders or 2012 Elements, but do it in iso view. Playing RPG Snake proves that is doable. Maybe make the world/town exploration in real time, then the combat system will be turn-based. The words "doodle" + "RPG" will surely ring a bell to a wide market. I have yet to see a serious attempt. Your artist has to be good or at least familiar with this art style, however, and the whole RPG system perhaps can be based on classics like HeroQuest.
05-20-2010, 08:42 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 183
I think it would be great to see more real time rpg games for the iPad. Not as big on turn based.

-Greg
05-20-2010, 08:55 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
I'm working on my next game for the AppStore, and I would like your feedback here if you would be so kind to provide it. Would you be interested enough to buy an isometric RPG game, in the style of games like Diablo and Fallout 1&2? Just wondering if this type of game would be of the liking of iphone/ipad gamers. No big flashy gfx, but the combat would be real-time, I'm not too certain turn-based combat would fare well. It would include dialog, inventory items, quests, and of course mini-games involving the typical lock-picking and bartering, and such. I'm also considering releasing a lite version for it too. I dont know if it would be good for this type of game or not.

Anyways, all comments welcomed.
Whatever you decide on, it's gotta be either on par with or cheaper than "Chaos Rings", "Ravensword", and the upcoming "Aralon". The app store already has some real-time combat RPGs, like "Ravensword", "Necromancer Rising", and "Across Age". If you decide on a turn-based RPG, it'd better be $6 or less, because unless the graphical style is somehow unique, nobody is going to choose it over "Chaos Rings" or "Final Fantasy".
05-20-2010, 09:23 PM
#8
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will090 View Post
Turn Based would probably be easier to implement, and go over well with the critics. I personally prefer Real-Time combat, but if you're going to need to figure out a way to make it more engaging than just button mashing. If you could find a way to make it strategic or interesting, I could see it working very well
I prefer RT combat too, i find turn-based too slow. Well, the strategic element would be other strategies like "hacking" mini-games and such, besides straight up combat. Hehehe, maybe include both RT and turn-based combat ?

Strife: Quest for the Sigil - FPS/RPG blend of action!
05-20-2010, 09:28 PM
#9
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirnoffsky View Post
Yeah, in light of all the J/KRPG's coming out, it would be nice to see something new. I kinda recall that guy who made RPG Snake was also thinking about doing the same thing. His is an isometric doodle style one... so quite interesting to see what happens there. I'd say move away from JRPG styles and either do something classic or something new. Maybe you can do a doodle RPG. A solid one.

I'd go with a doodle "cut-out" art style of Inkvaders or 2012 Elements, but do it in iso view. Playing RPG Snake proves that is doable. Maybe make the world/town exploration in real time, then the combat system will be turn-based. The words "doodle" + "RPG" will surely ring a bell to a wide market. I have yet to see a serious attempt. Your artist has to be good or at least familiar with this art style, however, and the whole RPG system perhaps can be based on classics like HeroQuest.
Just to get a better understanding, what is a K-RPG? I know J-RPG means japanese styled RPGs like Final Fantasy,but what's krpg?

Hmm, those games look like 2d sidescrollers. Are they like that? Why the doodle style so popular? I wasnt thinking about having doodle styled gfx work. Doodle means hand-drawn like gfx, right?

Strife: Quest for the Sigil - FPS/RPG blend of action!
05-20-2010, 09:29 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
I think it would be great to see more real time rpg games for the iPad. Not as big on turn based.

-Greg
That's one of the reasons i was going for realtime combat. The ipad seems to be lacking in action games that aren't called N.O.V.A. Turn-based seems to me more appropiate for the iphone. Anyone think so?

Strife: Quest for the Sigil - FPS/RPG blend of action!