★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Where do DEVs meet?

02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
#1
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12
Where do DEVs meet?

I notice that an admin locks all the threads for DEVs getting together to recruit or simply ask for help finding programmers/designers. I don't understand....why is this a bad thing? You can't exactly find iPhone dev work on Craig's List!!!

Can we have an area setup on the boards where we CAN talk to other people about work needed for projects? There is obviously a NEED for this type of interation. Is there another site we should be using for this form of communication?

Not to ruffle any feathers here (because I love this site), but as a web designer myself....this is good traffic. And it could lead to something much bigger in the DEV community. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have toucharcade.com be THE hotspot for game DEVs to find each other rather than it be forbidden?

Nightmooore
www.pixelshock.com
02-20-2009, 06:04 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: In My Head
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmoore View Post
I notice that an admin locks all the threads for DEVs getting together to recruit or simply ask for help finding programmers/designers. I don't understand....why is this a bad thing? You can't exactly find iPhone dev work on Craig's List!!!

Can we have an area setup on the boards where we CAN talk to other people about work needed for projects? There is obviously a NEED for this type of interation. Is there another site we should be using for this form of communication?

Not to ruffle any feathers here (because I love this site), but as a web designer myself....this is good traffic. And it could lead to something much bigger in the DEV community. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have toucharcade.com be THE hotspot for game DEVs to find each other rather than it be forbidden?

Nightmooore
www.pixelshock.com
iPhone/iPod touch game developers. If you feel you qualify, simply private message Zandog with your qualifications. Zandog is PR/Graphic Designer for Spiffcode Inc (Warfare Inc).

He's in charge of admitting the dev's into the locked threads... Just PM him

Gamecenter:1337brian

02-20-2009, 06:07 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337brian View Post
iPhone/iPod touch game developers. If you feel you qualify, simply private message Zandog with your qualifications. Zandog is PR/Graphic Designer for Spiffcode Inc (Warfare Inc).

He's in charge of admitting the dev's into the locked threads... Just PM him
If we're just limiting that private forum to devs, it makes it hard to solicit work for graphics/sound/etc. from the non-dev community.

I'll second a request for a help wanted/collaboration wanted subforum..
02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: In My Head
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiastudios View Post
If we're just limiting that private forum to devs, it makes it hard to solicit work for graphics/sound/etc. from the non-dev community.

I'll second a request for a help wanted/collaboration wanted subforum..
Well we are in the proper forum for that right now, But I'm pretty sure that the dev's themselves would post if they needed anything in that respect. Keep in mind anything you post in the Iphone dev forum (Which we are in currently) will most likely be read and reponded on by the dev's themselves. Just give it some time...
The locked forum is strictly for them to discuss any programming techniques or other things that they talk about... Not sure really as I'm not a real dev, just a wannabe until I get some schooling...

Gamecenter:1337brian
02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
#5
A fair few affluent developers hang about on #iphonedev on freenode.net IRC.

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)
02-20-2009, 08:50 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmoore View Post
I notice that an admin locks all the threads for DEVs getting together to recruit or simply ask for help finding programmers/designers. I don't understand....why is this a bad thing?
Hi,

It's not a bad thing perse, but it's a more commercial side of posts that will result in more moderation requirements, so we've been cautious about it.

If we allow it, we would open up a special forum. But I mean, do we just allow personal recruitment? Or do we allow headhunters/commercial sites? Can you post any developer services? Can you sell iPhones? Viagra?

I guess we just need a coherent set of rules before opening it up.

arn
02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
#7
Check out gamdev.net and maybe http://forums.indiegamer.com/

Also, IDGA( http://www.igda.org/ ) has meetups in different states which are great, we met a lot of people in CO that want to get into iPhone development, lots of opportunities.
02-20-2009, 10:23 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: In My Head
Posts: 3,358
I think the Dev forum should be just for the actual dev's themselves, like I said, I'm sure if they needed a service (music/graphics/coding) they would post in this forum requesting it, I think arn's right, we don't need a bunch of people flooding the dev's with "ANYONE NEED A PROGRAMMER?! threads etc.
Let the dev's do what they want, when they need beta testers and stuff they let us know, I don't think it would be any different with other services they would request of the community. Now making another Forum thread similar to the dev's thread could always be a hypothetical solution. But remember any member is free to create a social group for whatever purpose they choose.

Gamecenter:1337brian
02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
#9
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12
Thanks for the input from the admin....greatly appreciated.

I think some of you are missing the point. The "Devs" are regular people. We're not talking about massive game-studios here (obviously nobody from E.A. is hanging out here), so we're talking about bringing talent together to make projects....small studios or one-man development.

Yes, I understand that there would have to be some guidelines. We don't want people spamming services here that aren't related to iPhone/iTouch software. But I'm seeing responses recommending chat channels to find people. That obviously means there's no place on the web yet that has found the "niche" for this need.

While I'm no programmer, I do know how the design world works. Sites like www.cgsociety.org and www.zbrushcentral.com bring digital artists together and even open up job opportunities within the industry. The iPhone gaming platform NEEDS this. If touchArcade doesn't take advantage of that, someone else quickly will.
02-20-2009, 11:39 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Hi,
If we allow it, we would open up a special forum. But I mean, do we just allow personal recruitment? Or do we allow headhunters/commercial sites? Can you post any developer services? Can you sell iPhones? Viagra?

I guess we just need a coherent set of rules before opening it up.

arn
IMHO, a relatively easy/clear way would be just to allow personal recruitment amongst the TouchArcade community. So TA artists/musicians/etc. can advertise their services and TA devs can advertise a need for such services.