★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Rpg maker 99-2k3 ect.

02-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Rpg maker 99-2k3 ect.

Last edited by RaciallyRetarded; 11-07-2009 at 09:08 AM.
02-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by RaciallyRetarded View Post
I remember back in the late 90s, early 2000's i used to use rpg maker alot for fun, but mainly I used it to play other peoples games, which alot of them were very good. Is there anyway the original creators of rpg maker would be able to make a sort of port of it that would allow us to play other peoples rpg maker-created games, even if it didnt actually let us make rpgs on the touch/iphone?

Just curious as to how this would work, if even possible, and if anyone knows who actually created it and whether or not they would be willing to do such a project?
That would probably be to hard for the iDevice to port. At best, I could see playing custom side-scrolling games, but not rpgs.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
02-20-2009, 07:36 PM
if we had a decent rpg then there would be no need for this

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm sure it's possible. It would probably take quite a bit of work though. I never used RPG Maker, but all of those construction set type games used a custom scripting language to create the games. An iPhone version would need:

- The usual game stuff: Graphics and sound routines, game logic, etc.
- A script interpreter
- A central remote server
- A network component that could connect to the central remote server to display and allow the downloading of user-created content.

Basically, whoever wrote something like this would be creating an entire RPG game without the game part, because that would be filled with user-created content. The real headache would be the server, because whoever wrote it would need to have a robust host capable of handling thousands of concurrent connections and large quantities of data across a relatively high bandwidth pipe. That won't come cheap, and if the game is to finance such a thing, the author would have to hope he sells a lot of copies just to pay for the server, because Apple don't allow subscription services. Alternatively the author would have to create his own subscription service to be handled outside the game. It wouldn't need to be pricey for players, but it would need to provide a steady enough stream of revenue to pay for the server on an indefinite basis.

In short, for a project as niche and with as uncertain a future as this, it would be a big endeavour and a big risk to take.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
02-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Last edited by RaciallyRetarded; 11-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.
02-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Last edited by RaciallyRetarded; 11-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.