★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Too many ____ games?

View Poll Results: Do you think that the AppStore needs more variety?
AppStore needs more variety. 5 7.69%
AppStore needs more polished games. 44 67.69%
AppStore needs more hardcore games. 10 15.38%
AppStore needs more casual games. 3 4.62%
No, the AppStore is fine as it is. 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll
02-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
Too many ____ games?

Anyone notice that the AppStore seems to have a flood of Puzzle games, Tower Defense games, Racing games or just some small mini-games(usually $0.99?)?

I'm personally getting sick of these games. It's not that they're bad or anything, but they are getting old. Developers need to work on something that's seen less on the iPhone. Games like Brothers in Arms, Hero of Sparta, Rolando, iDracula, Zombieville USA and others are the style games don't don't apear on the AppStore often.

The AppStore needs more games of the following genres. Adventure, Shooters, Fighting, etc.

Does anyone agree? I also think that about half the games on the AppStore aren't even worth a download. There needs to be more polished, and more hardcore games on the AppStore. Maybe when the Premium Section gets released? Well, post your thoughts here.

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz
02-20-2009, 08:00 PM
you can never have too many of a certain type. Usually the most recent game that is released is better than the others, so i would rather the genre keep improving than just halt altogether. For example, look at cro-mag, now look at nfs, if devs stopped making racing games then they would never improve. Also there can be many different kinds of a genre, for ex. 7 cities and fieldrunners. Both TDs, but each completely unique and different. (7 cities is way better though)

dirty deeds and their dunderchee

02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
also that poll is meaningless. The app store needs more of all those, more hardcore, more casual, and all of them need to be polished.

02-20-2009, 08:02 PM
I think there is a good variety although some genres are being overdone. We are starting to see a trend of more polished games that I hope will continue.
02-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
also that poll is meaningless. The app store needs more of all those, more hardcore, more casual, and all of them need to be polished.
I screwed up on the poll, hit enter too early. I was going to have added a couple more options but w/e.

02-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I think the app store is fine the way it is, just needs to have a better way of representing all of the apps

02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I agree but not at the expense of the iDevice's strengths. It's not a coincidence I think that there are so many puzzlers, TD's, Racers etc. They work well with the controls it has. For example, you put Rolando in there next to HoS and BIA, but for me it's sooo different to the last 2. It's not an 'iDevice wanna be', whereas the last 2 definately are, and fall short because of it.

Last edited by Alichan; 02-20-2009 at 08:16 PM.
02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forerunnerz View Post
Anyone notice that the AppStore seems to have a flood of Puzzle games, Tower Defense games, Racing games or just some small mini-games(usually $0.99?)?

I'm personally getting sick of these games. It's not that they're bad or anything, but they are getting old. Developers need to work on something that's seen less on the iPhone. Games like Brothers in Arms, Hero of Sparta, Rolando, iDracula, Zombieville USA and others are the style games don't don't apear on the AppStore often.

The AppStore needs more games of the following genres. Adventure, Shooters, Fighting, etc.

Does anyone agree? I also think that about half the games on the AppStore aren't even worth a download. There needs to be more polished, and more hardcore games on the AppStore. Maybe when the Premium Section gets released? Well, post your thoughts here.
You're absolutely right. Action, adventure games, platformers, etc are truly underrepresented.

To add to this, I would say that even the genres themselves need variety within themselves. The puzzle genre is a lot more than match 3 games for example. You know like Zelda, Mario vs Donkey Kong, stuff like that.
02-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
You're absolutely right. Action, adventure games, platformers, etc are truly underrepresented.

To add to this, I would say that even the genres themselves need variety within themselves. The puzzle genre is a lot more than match 3 games for example. You know like Zelda, Mario vs Donkey Kong, stuff like that.
i wouldnt call zelda a puzzle game, its more of an rpg with a few puzzles thrown in.

02-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
i wouldnt call zelda a puzzle game, its more of an rpg with a few puzzles thrown in.
True. Still I haven't seen 1 Zelda game that wasn't enjoyable. Zelda an the iPhone is a game I wouldn't be able to put down.