★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"Free app a day" Useful as a Marketing Tool?

05-21-2010, 11:26 PM
"Free app a day" Useful as a Marketing Tool?

I see many devs using the free app a day style campaigns to boost awareness of their apps. Has anyone tried this? How does a top 10 ranking in the free pages translate to the paid rankings? I understand that you lose the free ranking and have to start all over in the rankings; whats the point then?

Floating Cube Studios Developer
Check out our latest games Friendsheep HD and Friendsheep
05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I think a free app with some sort of in-app purchase is the best way to take advantage of the free app a day promotion

05-22-2010, 03:58 AM
I think many will tell their friends: hey dude I got a cool game, get it too... oh bummer its paid again? come on then, buy it its totally worth it. I think thats how itcould work too!?!
05-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod_david View Post
I think many will tell their friends: hey dude I got a cool game, get it too... oh bummer its paid again? come on then, buy it its totally worth it. I think thats how itcould work too!?!
Or, it could go like: hey dude this game is free today. Get it today. *then updates facebook status with: hey cool free game today, here is a link.*
05-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I usually ignore freeappaday.com, because I got tired of the FREE games that weren't really free, they were just a front for DLC.

I'm not completely opposed to DLC, but goddam it, if you are telling me that you are giving me a game for free, it better be FREE.

Plus, I don't agree with their shady methods and the ridiculous rhetoric from the foreign retard admin of the site, with his extremely limited vocabulary learned from watching too many Billy Mays infomercials.

There are far better free site options out there: better for the consumers, better for the developers and better for the industry.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
05-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I am also wondering if this free app a day is good. its like, you are giving it for free just a day. it does not translate to good ranking in the paid section the next day either.
05-23-2010, 09:26 AM
For those that are interested, you should do some legwork.

Before I signed up the first time, I went to the sites, looked at every single app that's ever been promoted, looked at appshopper.com to get a sense of history of the app, and then looked at appannie.com to get historical ranks.

Some apps went free for 1 day, while others went free for a week, while others are still free. You need to look at iTunes and possibly get a copy if it's still free.

Some apps did well, while others not so well. It's not a silver bullet that will make my magic 8-ball clone into a best seller. If you look at some success stories like Tiki Totem and Ground Effect, they are both really well made games.

Lastly, trust, but verify. I always research apps myself regardless what I've been told or read.
05-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Friendsheep HD

Friendsheep HD is currently #5 free app on the iPad, as a result of our free promotion.

It's been a big headache for us. We can either convert it back to paid, and have to climb the paid charts, or we can implement in-app purchase. I've also heard the conversion rates for IAP can be as low as 2-3%.

Floating Cube Studios Developer
Check out our latest games Friendsheep HD and Friendsheep
05-24-2010, 07:24 PM
I contacted them to see if they'd be interest, I'd love to get the exposure. Since release our visibility is dropping off and I feel that word of mouth the likes of which we could get from doing that is potentially very big.

Going free without their promotion feels like it would be useless though. Anyway, there are my thoughts on the matter, like 'em or hate 'em.
05-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Freeappaday did well for Underworlds. We got about 160k downloads in 36 hours, went into the top 5 overall. After the promotion we saw a 100% increase in sales for the first week and 50% since then. NOTE - this promotion is not free, if you dont have cash don't even try it.