curiously no previous thread...

Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

review:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/05/23/sp...ers-wet-dream/
Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Sadly, a game released at this price point initially, stands little to no chance of making any kind of impact as far as multiplayer goes, unless it is an extremely high profile release. I really wish developers would do their homework a little better.

And yes, I know this isn't a multiplayer only game, but for me personally the multiplayer would be the main reason to give this a second look. And there's no point when past experience tells me servers will be a ghost town at this price point.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Could the people who played the original tell me how does this compare to Vector Tanks gameplay-wise? Is it the same kind of game? How do you control your tank?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 AM

I played this game so much as a kid. I wish it were cheaper so more people would be online.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:47 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Being Mr. Solo, can I play the seemingly Multiplayer Only modes vs. AI? Do the bots know how to capture the flag and such or are they only there as filler (blindly attacking the same way they always would in the generic single player mode)?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevagrant View Post
Could the people who played the original tell me how does this compare to Vector Tanks gameplay-wise? Is it the same kind of game? How do you control your tank?
In the single player games ("classic" and "VR"), the main objective is to collect flags as quickly as possible in order to progress to the next level and maximize time bonus; the enemies are there mainly as a deterrent, although you will need to fight them plenty.

In the multiplayer arena matches (also playable against bots), the gameplay is closer to that of Vector Tanks in the sense that you're targeting AI tanks with a variety of weapons, but there are temporary Flying pickups, a jump button (with a short recovery period between jumps), and even hyperspace (I don't use that).

The controls are completely different from VT, which translates virtual button presses into virtual tank tread movements. The movement in VT is much slower, so there is less room for error. In Spectre, the left virtual stick is used to turn left and right, and to immediately dart forwards and backwards. Unlike VT, weapon type can be manually selected, and there are primary and secondary weapon buttons; ammo is universally shared by all weapon types, the only difference between weapons being that some consume more rounds than others (e.g. one missile will consume 10 ammo units). Hybrid ammo-repair pickups ("partial" and "full") appear on the ground as flat green or white rectangles instead of hovering purple icons, necessitating use of the radar to efficiently track them down when conditions on the field are tough.

Overall, the feel is very different from that of Vector Tanks Extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Being Mr. Solo, can I play the seemingly Multiplayer Only modes vs. AI? Do the bots know how to capture the flag and such or are they only there as filler (blindly attacking the same way they always would in the generic single player mode)?
You can play any of the multiplayer modes against up to 15 bots, or some mixture of bots and human opponents. The AI seems OK in the arena matches, and the bots (a few of them, at least) do know how to score in Capture the Flag, but the behavior of bots can be strange in the latter; at times 2-3 bots can be seen piled up on one flag, bouncing repeatedly in place (I took a few screenshots and may send those to the devs, since the bots seem to be violating the per-time jump limit, and can't be "de-rezzed" in that defensive formation).

Last edited by Grubjelly; 05-24-2010 at 08:40 AM..
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

now .99
4.5 Stars - seems well liked by people who paid 4.99 for it.
Updated 3-15-11
What's New in Version 1.2.0

- iPad support! A new HUD, control scheme, and interface!

- High-definition Retina Display support!

- All-new single-player "Arcade" game mode. Designed for the iOS platform, it is easy and addictive to play!

- Game Center support with over 25 new achievements and 5 leaderboards!

- Completely Re-balanced gameplay!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Actually, there was a previous thread. I guess it just got buried and I'm not bumping it enough!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:19 PM

The bots do know how to play all of the multiplayer games.

They're still a bit stupid though. They could use some polishing but will usually remain 'smart' and not get stuck if the game has things going on (human interaction).

Last edited by matt_j; 03-19-2011 at 09:36 PM..